Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What discontinued cars should return, and how would you build them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What discontinued cars should return, and how would you build them?

I find myself having this conversation with people pretty regularly, and it's always fun.

There are SO many cool cars that have been discontinued over the years. Some of them priced themselves out of the market, some were cancelled due to a brand's redefining of itself, and others just weren't feasible to continue with increasing emissions and/or safety regulations. Some were likely just poor choices on behalf of the companies, too.

So, what specific cancelled cars would you like to see reappear? You can go as far back in time as you'd like. The more feasible the idea, the more interesting it'll be for discussion purposes, though. If there are actually concept cars or other talks of revival, even better!

For my first suggestion, I'd like to see Volvo release a new P1800. The original was awesome. RWD, 2500lbs, the most powerful making 130hp... A proper sports car in an era of muscle cars.

I cheated a bit here, because there's a chance that this would actually happen. Volvo has created a modern P1800 concept, and it's appealing. Doesn't quite have the classic looks of the original, but you can still see the inspiration. It could be built using Volvo's new Scalable Product Architecture, meaning it'll share underpinnings with... well... pretty much every other Volvo. It could be AWD, driven by Volvo's T8 powertrain (twincharged 4 cylinder with electric motors at the wheels), good for over 400hp. It would probably weigh at least 1000lbs more than the original, unfortunately.
    Still, I would LOVE to see this thing become a reality. When I first discovered the original P1800, it redefined my perception of Volvo. I always saw them as the makers of safe boxy things... but they actually did have the ability to churn out an awesome little sports car at one time!
    Here's the concept:

First gen Neon replacement. 2300lbs, use the Dart 1.4T 6 speed powertrain. The modern Dodge styling with the old Neon design. To achieve that we'de have to have shitty crash ratings, but people buy motorcycles too.
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
      First gen Neon replacement. 2300lbs, use the Dart 1.4T 6 speed powertrain. The modern Dodge styling with the old Neon design. To achieve that we'de have to have shitty crash ratings, but people buy motorcycles too.
      I think the Dart itself would've been a fairly decent Neon followup. The stupid Caliber created a disconnect, though. That was a BAD move!
      I agree on that, though. A proper Neon... lightweight, chuckable, affordable. Wouldn't even need an SRT-4 version... just an R/T with about 160hp would suffice.

If they stretched the Fiat 500's wheelbase by about 12", made it about 6" wider, cut down the roof by 3-4", and somehow managed to retain the Fiat's weight... it could be done. Even if they bumped it up to, say, 2700lbs, it would still be a pretty good Neon!

Comment

Keeping it going.

Next, I'd say the Toyota Celica needs to come back. I HATED the final generation, but I thought the one before it was pretty badass. My favorite Celica was the 1st generation, however! Mustang-inspired, RWD... really cool car. I'm only posting a picture of the liftback version because of its clear Mustang inspiration. I do love the coupe as well, though.
        Here's the liftback:

Since Toyota is currently developing the next Supra with BMW, I don't see why there wouldn't be room for a RWD Celica reboot on the same platform. Instead of a twin-turbo I6 like the Supra is likely to get, the Celica could be a less-powerful, less expensive, less tech-laden alternative. If the Supra is going to start upwards of $60,000 (no word yet on where it will start, but I imagine that's a reasonable guess), a RWD Celica could start in the low 40s. Granted that might be a bit much for marque that became synonymous with "my sister's car".

The 6th generation Celica is also among my favorites, and a followup to that might be a much more reasonable alternative.

Scion is going bye-bye, meaning the tC (the only non-Subaru Scion even close to worth buying) is going with it. The tC was basically the 8th and 9th generation Celica anyway. Now that Toyota will be absorbing anything worth keeping, I couldn't imagine Toyota doing away with that car... and they certainly won't be keeping the tC name, I wouldn't think.
        The 2nd generation tC is already on its 6th year, so it's due for a replacement. No better time to follow up with a Celica!

Now would be a GREAT time for Toyota to release a sporty Celica. A base FWD model for people who just want to look sporty (basically, tC buyers.) A turbocharged FWD model for those that want performance, but don't want to spend a fortune. A turbocharged AWD GTfour model because those things were awesome (and Japan deprived us of the 6th gen GTfour!) And, since they'll already have all the necessary stuff... a non-turbo AWD model for people who want to drive their sporty looking car in bad weather.
        Toyota has all these things, and a model with a rich history on which to draw... I think they'd be foolish not to!

According to Toyotapages.com, the Celica reboot is highly likely. FT86-inspired in its design (sadly, a far cry from recalling either the 1st gen or the 6th gen...) 6 speed manual and the Lexus NX turbo 4 cylinder will find their way into the car. We might see it for 2017, though I think that might be optimistic (it's nearly August... I would've expected a stir by now.) Estimated base price is $20,000... which suggests a limp-noodle model for people that just want to look sporty.

Comment

odd one here.

chevrolet beretta.

all of them had problems, but i love the styling. i really miss mine. if they had a newer powertrain and a 6mt option and geared towards a "sports coupe" i think itd be badass!

acura cl. i love mine in manual. if only they took the tlx and cut 2 doors off with a manual and 3.5-7l engine.

COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            I think the Dart itself would've been a fairly decent Neon followup. The stupid Caliber created a disconnect, though. That was a BAD move!
            I agree on that, though. A proper Neon... lightweight, chuckable, affordable. Wouldn't even need an SRT-4 version... just an R/T with about 160hp would suffice.
            The Dart weighs over 1000lbs more than a Neon and had only 10hp more lmao. Yes the Dart does have like 50ft-lbs of torque more, but HP is really what we care about.
            '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

This is a hard question, because I'm always worried that the state manufacturers are in right now,theyd mess it up properly. I'd love to see a new Ford Capri, lightweight, rwd, 4cyl, Ford Eu fun.

Don't see it happening though.
              sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

We're a Honda forum so Prelude. MR2 would be cool. I'd really like to see a ute sold in the states other than a Baja.

Comment

I'm not a deep thinker when it comes to this stuff, so I'll run through them:

- New Honda S roadster more on the level of a Z... V6, slightly longer wheelbase.

- Prelude or Integra/RSX. Still a 4 cylinder FWD, two-door only, Type-S/Type-R models could use variations of the CTR drivetrain. More upscale interior compared to other non-Acura Hondas.

- - - - -

- Datsun 510 or 240SX/Silvia. Coupe, RWD, 220ish hp, lightweight. 510 was already a recent concept (personally I wasn't a huge fan of the styling, but concepts are usually subdued before going into production), they just need to go through with making it.

- If a Celica were to return, I would think a GT-Four is mandatory. Stick it in direct competition with Focus RS, STI, and Golf R. Deev, you're crazy for not liking the last gen Celica. TRD models were gorgeous!

- Porsche 914. I like how Mercedes brought out the CLA to be an affordable car from a high-end brand. Porsche should do the same. Maybe scale down the Cayman/Boxster chassis, give it about 250 naturally aspirated horsepower.

- Ford Festiva Shogun... or rather, a Fiesta Shogun. Beef up the fenders in a stupid way and stick the engine in the back. Limited production, once again.

- Shelby Cobra Daytona coupe. The GR-1 concept never went into production. I think this would be an awesome collabo project to do with Ford, as a step below the GT to compete with the Corvette. It just HAS to bring back the curvy lines.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Wow, how did I forget one of my favorites? Dodge Magnum! This one's simple, just a wagon variant of the LX platform (Charger/Challenger/300C).

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
                      acura cl. i love mine in manual. if only they took the tlx and cut 2 doors off with a manual and 3.5-7l engine.

The bad thing about the "CLX", if it were to be introduced, is that it would come with a McPherson strut front suspension instead of the double wishbone. That and it wouldn't be available with a 6-speed manual.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Personally I would like to see a lot of the gm concepts come to life.

2003 Pontiac sunfire gxp with the lsj supercharger or the Saab lk9 engine in it.

Grand am sc/tc not just the appearance package but the actual supercharged version with a manual and the 4 bucket seats.

Lastly for now, a Saab viggen with the new v6 turbo that came with the 2006+ plus aero models.

Comment

As long as they do it right, I would like to see a new Chevelle or Nova. The 1970 model year was very kind to these two cars and they were never the same in following generations.

Comment

They should bring back the Plymouth Prowler, I loved the idea of a modern old school styled hot rod. As for modifying it, that's a simple answer to me..... Hellcat.... that is all, lol.

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                              Wow, how did I forget one of my favorites? Dodge Magnum! This one's simple, just a wagon variant of the LX platform (Charger/Challenger/300C).
                              I would LOVE to see the Magnum make a comeback! I honestly wonder what Fiat-Chrysler is going to do with the aging LX platform. The current generation was little more than a cosmetic refresh riding on the same chassis. Some improvements were made, I'm sure... but it's still well over a decade old (and the parts borrowed from Mercedes-Benz are even older!) It needs a refresh. Hopefully we'll get something based on the Alfa Romeo Georgio platform (which is what the Giulia is riding on.)

I guess American buyers just don't want sporty wagons. Coupes and sedans, yes. Frumpy wagons, sometimes. Sporty wagons? Everyone loves a CTS-V wagon or Magnum wagon... but sales didn't reflect that love. Apparently everyone that loves these things can't afford to buy them new!

Still... a Magnum Hellcat would be on my short list of possibly attainable dream cars if they made it happen, that's for damn sure!

And I really like the idea of a 914 reboot. I'd say not even 250hp. Just INCREDIBLE handling. Let Porsche go head-to-head with Mazda with a low-priced (say, mid-to-high 30k range for a base model), modest MR flat-four power (180hp maximum, before releasing fancy performance models), A curb weight to compete with the ND Miata (no more than 2300lbs). Simple. No electronic wizardry. No traction control, no stability control. Just LSD, a perfectly-geared transmission, and a sweet, sweet exhaust tone. They'll never do it, of course... because a sub-$40,000 Porsche in today's market would be viewed as junk. The VW stigma associated with the original 914, paired with a low introductory price, could potentially be a turn-off for most buyers, sadly.

Comment

Working...
                              X