Getting away with a turbo car in cali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting away with a turbo car in cali

I want so badly to put all my turbo stuff back on my car but when i come to the bay area i'm just afraid i'll get stopped and have to take everything off. I need ideas on ways i can get away with having a turbo. I can clean the engine bay and put heatshield around most everything except the manifold because the wastegate sticks up and out from it in an obscure manner that i can't cover.

So far i've got:
    Do it illegally
    fake carb stickers ( not sure how well that'd work)

I'd be crushed if i was forced to sell all the turbo stuff and have to go n/a. I don't even street race much, i'll even keep it to the track! I'll black out the FMIC and i'll switch to a small muffler so the cops don't notice me so much.

oh, and what exactly is SMOG lol? I mean, i can alter the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing at any given time to change the potency of the exhaust but i'm not exactly sure what things lead to better Smog results.
    Last edited by MRX; 10-10-2007, 10:11 AM.
    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

they will check that shit carefully...i been pulled over and i have popped my hood up b4, i have nuthin special but they look for carb numbers if u have aftermarket parts.

Comment

smog, the timing must be oem spec, stock airbox, i dunno if u can smog with an carb legal intake , just basically all stock!! LOL

Comment

I almost forgot the dual registration thing. I'll still have family in FL so maybe i can keep the car registered here. I'll have to look into that. Wonder how higher compression effects smog readings...if i'm forced to go n/a that is

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Unfortunately almost nothing other than stock is going to be as good as stock, nature of the beast. Remember Honda spent thousands of hours trying to make these cars as effecient as possible. Theres very little you can do to mimic that....sorry man. Thats the biggest thing thats stopped me from swapping/turbo (besides money) in washington is emission (what we call smog in our highly educated state) laws are almost as bad as cali.

Officialy the law in washington is no nothing, has to be bone stock. But people get around it all the time. cops up here dont check much though, which is nice. lol not to thread jack, but yea, there aint much you can do but go completely stock.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

Me and cali-racer know of a place that proly wit pass you for smog boosted....
            Cali.Dumps.Harder.

Comment

if your car is not register as Cali Cars, then they cant give you a ticket on aftermarket parts.

Comment

Originally posted by StockAccord
                if your car is not register as Cali Cars, then they cant give you a ticket on aftermarket parts.
                bingo! was his name-o lol there ya go. but if anything, talk to me if ya need hook up for a smog.
                Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
                -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

i'd highly suggest trying to keep it FL register'd .. tell them u have a house in FL, and that u are out in the bay area for work. An old co-worker of mine has Pennsylvania plates.. he's been in CA for like 6 years now. He tells me his car is registered at his parents house(his permanent address)
                  -:¦:-
                  Originally posted by wed3k
                  i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextAZN
                    i'd highly suggest trying to keep it FL register'd .. tell them u have a house in FL, and that u are out in the bay area for work. An old co-worker of mine has Pennsylvania plates.. he's been in CA for like 6 years now. He tells me his car is registered at his parents house(his permanent address)
                    or get a po box up in the jackson ca area they dont smog there unless the title changes hands

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextAZN
                      remember i'd be out there for school so i probably wouldn't even have to do that much. Plus, i'm only planning on being out there for about 2 years. This is looking better and better now!

Comment

Yeah...if you're just there for school, and you're still registered at you're home in FL, then of course you're not subject to any of their inspection/emissions testing.
                        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Yea but theres a flip side to that. I don't think i can get the "in-state" tuition for the second year in CA with residence in FL. Hopefully there's a loop hole in that system too.

Comment

Originally posted by MRX
                            Yea but theres a flip side to that. I don't think i can get the "in-state" tuition for the second year in CA with residence in FL. Hopefully there's a loop hole in that system too.
                            before u leave sign the car over to your parents then when u get back sign it back over

Comment

Originally posted by ghettogeddy
                              before u leave sign the car over to your parents then when u get back sign it back over
                              good idea right there. there's always a way to beat the system
                              Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
                              -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

Working...
                              X