SPC adjustable balljoints question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPC adjustable balljoints question

Okay. So. How in the heck do you actually adjust these things with the car on the ground. There is no freaking way.

Also. What's the size of the nut on these things?is it a 24mm socket or a 27mm? I can't remember and I'm trying to find a tool that I can use to properly torque this to the insane 125ft lb they want these to be.

Thanks.

you not supposed to adjust them with the car on the ground. jack it up to get weight off it and adjust
    visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
      you not supposed to adjust them with the car on the ground. jack it up to get weight off it and adjust
      How the hell am I supposed to align the car with the wheels off the ground.

Comment

It's a royal pain in the ass to align the car yourself and less accurate to. Take it to a professional

What suspension setup are you on?
        visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by Frijoles View Post
          the car needs to be on the ground and level. you are correct, it's a bitch.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
            It's a royal pain in the ass to align the car yourself and less accurate to. Take it to a professional

What suspension setup are you on?
            Let me rephrase, Hoe the hell is a professional going to align my car with the wheels off the ground?

The weight needs to be on the wheels when the car is aligned.

Besides that I don't have any "professionals" in my area. Hopefully some Pep Boys somewhere will let me align the damn thing myself. I just want it up on the rack with the fancy machine telling me what the numbers look like.

We just have idiots who don't know the first thing about alignment, scared of anything that had more than toe adjustment.

My set up is SPC adjustable balljoints all around. Koni yellows, Neuspeed race springs, and all polyurethane bushings. I have more stuff, but that's the only stuff that's important to mention in terms of an alignment.

Comment

They just take the initial measurement, lift the wheel and adjust to whatever the machine says.

It's a liability issue with the big chain stores like that. They don't mess with any aftermarket suspension stuff

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frijoles View Post
                Usually the camber is adjusted when the car is lifted and brought back down to have have the readings viewed. Most alignment racks have air/hydraulic jacks on the front and rear for this.

Comment

I just had this done to my car (just installed spc joints 2 weeks ago)

How my alignment shop did it was this. Put it on the rack, saw what the camber was set to originally. Took the car off the rack, jacked it up. Adjusted the ball joints all the way out toward the car. Put it back on the rack. Check and it was .08 and .09, both within spec. Then they torqued the nut to 125lb, put it back on the rack to make sure it was the same and done. I had to pay extra.

Comment

I had a very difficult time finding a suspension shop that would adjust this for me. I was flat out refused service by several shops because of my camber adjustment kit. I was finally pointed in the right direction by friends who run track days. You'd likely have to ask around about who deals with performance suspension tuning rather than your run of the mill "zero it all out" type of alignment shop.

The shop I went to asked questions like "what type of driving do you want us to set it up for?" and, "Do you have a desired amount of camber you want to run?" then proceeded to do my alignment. Took a few hours of trial and error with the SPC's, but they got my car dialed down to 1.5 degrees and 1/16" toe-in all around.

Good luck with it!
                    1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Working...
                    X