mix and match transmission gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mix and match transmission gears

Since we are getting a new transmission, we are considering putting together our own set gears that are extra close for the racing we do. We have a h2a5 and we are getting an m2a4. We would love to have the 1.071 gear from various m2f4,5 m2p4, m2v5, and other transmissions that seem to be mostly EuroDM.

One, are the gears interchangeable? We have two guys who have done it lots in their old Alfa tranny.

Two, does anyone have an idea of where to get the 1.071?

What we would like to do is use 1st and 2nd from our h2a5 (taller more useable 2nd) use the 3rd from the m2a4, a 1.071 4th gear (if we can find one for reasonable money), and our m2a4 0.870 4th for a 5th gear.
    Last edited by ukemike; 05-31-2016, 12:01 PM.
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
    Since we are getting a new transmission, we are considering putting together our own set gears that are extra close for the racing we do. We have a h2a5 and we are getting an m2a4. We would love to have the 1.071 gear from various m2f4,5 m2p4, m2v5, and other transmissions that seem to be mostly EuroDM.

One, are the gears interchangeable? We have two guys who have done it lots in their old Alfa tranny.

Two, does anyone have an idea of where to get the 1.071?

What we would like to do is use 1st and 2nd from our h2a5 (taller more useable 2nd) use the 3rd from the m2a4, a 1.071 4th gear (if we can find one for reasonable money), and our m2a4 0.870 4th for a 5th gear.
    I think I have an idea of what you're trying to do, but I think you may have a few things confused.

The 1.071 4th gear was in our US 1992-1996 prelude VTEC. If the dealership wants you to buy an entire synchro sleeve kit just to get a mainshaft gear, lemme know and I'll get you the right part number.

To use a stock fourth gear as fifth, you'll need to figure out how to get the synchro crown from a 5th gear onto a 4th gear and it will require machining. Then you'll have to figure out how to get a 'splined spacer' for the countershaft gear, and you'll need cut some material off of the gear.

You know that that prelude has a .870 fifth gear that works perfectly, right?
    Some know me as the "Tranny Guy"

Comment

Once we got our two transmissions open we saw that the gears basically have spacers built into them which renders them non-interchangable without significant machining and fabricating. This sort of thing works with some transmissions, but apparently not this one.

On the good side we got our prelude transmission installed. It won't be the custom close ratio race gearbox we want, but it will be quicker than the one we had.
      M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.

Comment

Once we got our two transmissions open we saw that the gears basically have spacers built into them in a non-symetric sort of way which makes them non-interchangable without significant machining and fabricating. We couldn''t place a fourth gear set in place of the fifth gear place. This sort of thing works with some transmissions, but apparently not this one. Also once we got the old transmission open it had gotten pretty chewed up. The bearing on the counter shaft looked like a bowl of shiny pebbles. I wouldn't have wanted to have reused any of the parts from it.

On the good side we got our prelude transmission installed. It won't be the custom close ratio race gearbox we want, but it will be quicker than the one we had.

Comment

If you want better gearing you can get a 4.64 final drive from MFactory. They make a 5.15 too I believe.
          '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

cant you get custom made gears from syncrotech? I realize its a bit pricey but you will be able to get what you want.
            visit vgruk

Comment

Im surprised you haven't looked into a T2W4 with 4.64FD.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

Working...
              X