Rustoleum Peelable Primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rustoleum Peelable Primer

I just discovered this today. It's designed to be unused on a car, making any Rustoleum spray paint peelable. I have a few spots on my Miata that I want to touch up. I think this might be the perfect thing to hold me over until I get a real paint job!
    I bought some today. I'll update with results once I've had a chance to play with it!

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    I just discovered this today. It's designed to be unused on a car, making any Rustoleum spray paint peelable. I have a few spots on my Miata that I want to touch up. I think this might be the perfect thing to hold me over until I get a real paint job!
    I bought some today. I'll update with results once I've had a chance to play with it!

Funny, I was looking at that stuff today when I was going out to buy real primer for my car.
    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I haven't been able to find any reviews of it online. It must be brand new! I don't remember seeing it at work until yesterday (Home Depot), and we run through the entire store about once every 10 days.

If it's not too windy today, I'm going to give it a shot. Careless NJ fuel attendants are responsible for the paint peeling all around my gas door on the Miata, so I figure this would be a great way to touch it up without making it TOO obvious... and it'll hopefully stop the paint from continuing to flake off as well.

Comment

I haven't been able to find any reviews of it online. It must be brand new! I don't remember seeing it at work until yesterday (Home Depot), and we run through the entire store about once every 10 days.

If it's not too windy today, I'm going to give it a shot. Careless NJ fuel attendants are responsible for the paint peeling all around my gas door on the Miata, so I figure this would be a great way to touch it up without making it TOO obvious... and it'll hopefully stop the paint from continuing to flake off as well.
        Let me know how it turns out! I'm curious on how it works, even though you probably won't be peeling it off right away.

I would hate having to have a attendant fill up my car, especially if my car was plasti-dipped (since gas is sort of plasti-dip's kryptonite).
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

The primer is apparently gasoline resistant, too! Better than plastidip in that respect.
          I finished it yesterday. I'm pleased with the outcome, for what it is. Overspray was easy enough to remove, so I'm hopeful. It's thick, making it not a great option for this specific purpose, but it's good enough.

It's irritating having to rely on others to pump my gas, for sure. It's actually illegal to do it myself! It was embarrassing the first time doing it myself out of state. AccordWarrior actually had to teach me!

Comment

You Northeners with your fancy full service , i am totally surprised Deeve went for this since i have always known him to be a do it right the first time or dont do it at all kind of guy but im glad that it worked for you Deeve. I am still trying to peel off plastidip on some parts that i painted and cannot get the damn thing to come off, i still have not tried WD40 like someone suggested on a different thread.
            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Doing it right would mean a full repaint, which I can't afford at the moment. Since the paint was flaking off around the filler door, I needed something that would provide temporary protection. I should be able to peel this off and get the car properly painted in a few months. Any peelable paint needs to be applied fairly thick to make it easy to peel. You should also apply coats no more than 5 minutes apart, as you want them to become one solid layer.
              Just letting it go would've led to rust, and any other method of fixing it that I could think of would be more permanent.

Here are pics of the primer, and then the finished product. I'm thinking about doing my replacement fender the same way (the original owner spraypainted it to "match", but it's pretty obvious that it doesn't match.) Facebook pics, so they'll die soon. I'll put them on the CB7tuner server in a bit.

Here's the primer:

And here's the finished product. A bug landed in it just before the final coat, which was annoying... but otherwise it came out pretty nice! You can see the area to the right of the gas door where the paint was peeling.

Comment

The primer is apparently gasoline resistant, too! Better than plastidip in that respect.
                I finished it yesterday. I'm pleased with the outcome, for what it is. Overspray was easy enough to remove, so I'm hopeful. It's thick, making it not a great option for this specific purpose, but it's good enough.

It's irritating having to rely on others to pump my gas, for sure. It's actually illegal to do it myself! It was embarrassing the first time doing it myself out of state. AccordWarrior actually had to teach me!
                That's super funny
                I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                  You Northeners with your fancy full service , i am totally surprised Deeve went for this since i have always known him to be a do it right the first time or dont do it at all kind of guy but im glad that it worked for you Deeve. I am still trying to peel off plastidip on some parts that i painted and cannot get the damn thing to come off, i still have not tried WD40 like someone suggested on a different thread.
                  Dipyourcar.com has "Dip Remover" spray, and it works really well. If you're tired of scratching left-overs off your car.
                  I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Doing it right would mean a full repaint, which I can't afford at the moment. Since the paint was flaking off around the filler door, I needed something that would provide temporary protection. I should be able to peel this off and get the car properly painted in a few months. Any peelable paint needs to be applied fairly thick to make it easy to peel. You should also apply coats no more than 5 minutes apart, as you want them to become one solid layer.
                    Just letting it go would've led to rust, and any other method of fixing it that I could think of would be more permanent.

Here are pics of the primer, and then the finished product. I'm thinking about doing my replacement fender the same way (the original owner spraypainted it to "match", but it's pretty obvious that it doesn't match.) Facebook pics, so they'll die soon. I'll put them on the CB7tuner server in a bit.

Here's the primer:

And here's the finished product. A bug landed in it just before the final coat, which was annoying... but otherwise it came out pretty nice! You can see the area to the right of the gas door where the paint was peeling.
                    That looks good! Nice job. It does look like you did lay it down thick, I'm curious on how it'll peel off! That's a cool idea, since you can still put down regular paint overtop.
                    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Looks good bud!

Man if these dudes take too long, I fucking pump it myself. Call the police lol.

I think that is should be optional. Like full/self serve because sometimes I don't feel like waiting and you're right, they don't give two fucks about your car.

The other day I did it myself because I hit traffic on the turnpike and I was trying to get home and misjudged my gas tank so when I hit traffic I did not want to chance it.

The dude took forever so I did it myself. He came over and was like omg you know how to do that? Im like buddy I did not grow up in NJ lol. I can pump gas its not difficult lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                        Dipyourcar.com has "Dip Remover" spray, and it works really well. If you're tired of scratching left-overs off your car.
                        I've been wanting to try that. I dipped the hood on my old Fit years ago, and the guy I sold the car to said it was a bitch to remove (I put 2 full cans on it, too!) I mean, it was on there for like 2 years, which is way too long. But still!
                        Rustoleum said this stuff should be removed in 6 months or less. I set reminder on my phone for 5 months. I love technology. Thanks, Siri!

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                        That looks good! Nice job. It does look like you did lay it down thick, I'm curious on how it'll peel off! That's a cool idea, since you can still put down regular paint overtop.
                        It goes on REALLY thick. Plastidip can be done thin, but the Rustoleum stuff (at least this primer) just kinda globs on there. It levels out nicely, though. It would be better for an entire panel than a patch area like I did. The patch area looks obvious. Better than peeling paint and exposed primer, though!

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                        Looks good bud!

Man if these dudes take too long, I fucking pump it myself. Call the police lol.

I think that is should be optional. Like full/self serve because sometimes I don't feel like waiting and you're right, they don't give two fucks about your car.

The other day I did it myself because I hit traffic on the turnpike and I was trying to get home and misjudged my gas tank so when I hit traffic I did not want to chance it.

The dude took forever so I did it myself. He came over and was like omg you know how to do that? Im like buddy I did not grow up in NJ lol. I can pump gas its not difficult lol.

I do wonder what could happen if someone wants to do something about it. I mean, it's not like you're stealing!
                        I think Wawa lets you pump your own diesel, which is really weird. I kinda want a diesel for that reason!

Comment

Working...
                        X