Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENG: Replace the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Replace the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

If you've decided that you need to replace your VSS because your speedometer isn't working, here's a DIY to follow. You can buy the part on eBay for about $20. The prelude and accord VSS's are interchangable, as shown by the chart below:

HONDA ACCORD DX L4 2.2 FI 1990-1991
    HONDA ACCORD EX L4 2.2 FI 1990-1991
    HONDA ACCORD EX-R L4 2.2 FI 1991
    HONDA ACCORD LX L4 2.2 FI 1990-1991
    HONDA ACCORD SE L4 2.2 FI 1991
    HONDA PRELUDE 4WS L4 2.3 FI 1993
    HONDA PRELUDE S L4 2.2 FI 1992-1993
    HONDA PRELUDE SI L4 2.3 FI 1992-1993
    HONDA PRELUDE SI 4WS L4 2.3 FI 1992
    HONDA PRELUDE VTEC L4 2.2 FI 1993

The first thing to do is to remove the airbox/intake to allow you to gain access.

Next, take a look down and look for the gray clip shown here; that's the VSS clip, the VSS is beneath that:

Here's what it looks like, when removed:

If you have an automatic, you should be able to reach the two 10mm bolts with a long extension on your socket. If you have a manual transmission, you'll see the shift linkage (the rubber-booted thing):

The bolt in red is easy to remove, the white one requires removing the shift linkage bolts as shown below.

There are three bolts (11mm or 12mm, I think) two on the left, one on the right, if you're standing on the passenger fender side of the car. Remove the two bolts on the left (shown in blue), and loosen the one on the right, and rotate the shift linkage towards the fender to give you access to the VSS bolts.

Now that you can reach the VSS, remove the bolts, and unclip the wire. Removing the VSS for the first time required a bit of leverage, more than I thought, actually.

In the image below, you'll see the drive link highlighted. It's pretty small, and needs to be taken care of while you're installing. I put the drive link into the VSS, and held it in place while I jiggled the VSS into place.

Once you bolt in the VSS, make sure you reattach the 3P connector. Tighten up the bolts from the shift linkage bolts if need-be, and then reinstall the airbox. Then, give it a test-drive to make sure it's working, and enjoy the CEL-free joy of a working speedometer, and odometer.
    Last edited by doylna; 09-24-2008, 10:17 AM.

Nicely done. I'm this will help some of us. Me I just started a dispute with the seller. He hasn't replied fast enough in my opinion. He still hasn't said a word up to date. If tomorrow I don't get something I'll escalade my dispute to a claim. I want my money back...If you think I'll wait 2 weeks so that he gets it if I ship it back plus a week so that he inspects it plus another 2 weeks to get another one well no way.
    NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

Hope it works out for you. I was worried that the prelude/accord VSS wouldn't work, but it did without any problems.

Comment

Nicely executed.

Trev.
        RETIRED...

Comment

Very nice write up, perhaps this should be stickied?

Comment

i think im going to need this soon, a while back i was driving and my speed just dropped to 0. hadnt happened since but then last week i was on the highway, and my speed kept jumping up about 10 mph, it was weird...

Comment

ok i did this yesterday pretty easy.......but now my speedo starts from 10mph instead of 0 anybody know what can cause that ??
              UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
              NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

Originally posted by 1990Ex View Post
                ok i did this yesterday pretty easy.......but now my speedo starts from 10mph instead of 0 anybody know what can cause that ??
                You got any e-bay claimed "JDM" parts on your car?? yea, you might wanna remove them. LOL. I KEED I KEED.

The only thing i can think of is that drive link. maybe it didnt get installed the right way.

Comment

Does the needle rest at 0 to start, or rest at 10?

Comment

Originally posted by doylna View Post
                    Does the needle rest at 0 to start, or rest at 10?
                    it rest on zero when the car is off, when i turn the key it jumps to 10mph
                    UNDERGROUND SOCIETY

Comment

Originally posted by Sobeman81 View Post
                      You got any e-bay claimed "JDM" parts on your car?? yea, you might wanna remove them. LOL. I KEED I KEED.

The only thing i can think of is that drive link. maybe it didnt get installed the right way.

no its not a "JDM" part. fuck that shit
                      UNDERGROUND SOCIETY

Comment

Originally posted by 1990Ex View Post
                        it rest on zero when the car is off, when i turn the key it jumps to 10mph
                        Did you uninstall and reinstall the drive link, and make sure it was seated correctly?

Comment

the "rubber-booted thing" that you mention is the shift linkage. you might want to know what you're talking about before you make another DIY.

Comment

well, we all appreciate all the DIYs you've contributed over the years. oh wait.

Comment

You're trying to weasel your way from the point that I made. But this is not the place to discuss that. And the reason why I've never made a diy is because I can't stop every 30 seconds to take a picture. If I had a photographer with me at all times I'd be glad to make a diy just for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X