Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing after/during clutch engagement at WOT

Hey everyone,

I am having some sort of missfire issue as I engage the next gear swiftly (doesn't matter which one) at WOT, mostly above 5k rpms. Power is definitely cut for a fraction of a second, but I am not sure if it is ignition or fuel related. My guess is ignition.

Ignition components: stock OEM except for NGK blues and Iridium IX plugs (2.5 yrs old now, 3000 mi)
    Fuel components: stock OEM except for AEM 320lph pump, AEM fuel rail, AEM pressure regulator, and RDX 450cc injectors (all on the car for 2.5 yrs. 3000 mi)

It happens in the following video at 0:37, right as I engage 3rd (I first miss third mechanically, then engage it and you can hear the miss).

This did not happen before late June, as you can hear in this video from May 28th:

I found that my coil was loose, and tightened that down, but this has done nothing. I have no oil on the spark plug wires either.

It feels like it is not the clutch, but I could be wrong (I hope I'm not).

Does anyone have any insight or ideas they would be willing to share? Thank you in advance for your help.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

The only way I can see a clutch job causing a misfire is a defective flywheel messing with crank signals, and that doesn't apply.

Sounds ignition related for sure. Sounds like coil failure honestly. Does it run hot at all?

Comment

It does not run hot, temperature stays in the optimal range. I'm going to look into how I can test this coil.

MRT
      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Does it happen in any gear?

Comment

Yes, any gear when I am pedal to the medal above 5k rpms and shifting up rapidly. It is a very weird sensation when you know you have the next gear but the power delivery hiccups. It doesn't happen at any other point when under power except after shifts. The power doesn't bog down as though the O2 sensor is going out.

Hmmm, speaking of O2s, I actually have an OEM narrow band 4 wire and the Bosch wideband running at the same time, both being hooked up to the ECU. The wideband is obviously also hooked up the AFR gauge. Nobody brought up during my build that this was not how I should have set it up (that I should have used just the Bosch wideband by itself), so I assumed that was how it was to be done, so maybe this might be a sign of the wideband sensor going out, not sure.

Well, if it is the coil (which has certainly not been replaced since 2006, could be the coil from the factory), I can get a new one for just over $108 at Majestic.
          Last edited by af_1132; 07-24-2017, 10:33 AM.

MRT
          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

So i hear it in the first video but not the 2nd. It just sounds like the engine is "taking on the load" we'll say. Are you running after market ECU? Connecting this to a laptop for a datalog would tell you what you need to know. I've seen cars do what you are explaining and was always a ECU VSA thing where the ECU thought the tires loss traction and limited the car for a brief moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              So i hear it in the first video but not the 2nd.
              Right, I was showing that video to demonstrate the difference between when it began to have this symptom (first video, June 24th) and before, when it did not have this symptom (second video, May 28th).

I have a P06 with Hondata, so all OBDI, no traction or stability control. If I had a laptop (will have access to one starting in August) I could record a pull through Hondata, and see what is happening.

MRT
              Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Ya, that would be best. Until then you'll have to do visual inspections i guess.. not really sure on this one. It's the split second hesitation right?
                Are you running a tune?

Comment

I had something similar, turned out to be a bad front motor mount which was fixed by a poly one. Just throwing that curve ball out there. Momentary power loss while engine repositions.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
                  UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
                  NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                    Ya, that would be best. Until then you'll have to do visual inspections i guess.. not really sure on this one. It's the split second hesitation right?
                    Are you running a tune?
                    I am, a custom tune created at a local shop during dyno testing. Yes, it is a split second hesitation that lasts less than a second each time, as in the first video.

Originally posted by marcusv8thunder View Post
                    I had something similar, turned out to be a bad front motor mount which was fixed by a poly one. Just throwing that curve ball out there. Momentary power loss while engine repositions.
                    Hmmm, that is interesting. I do feel a slight jolt when this happens, but I am running an ESP traction bar with the front torque mount they provide. There is no room for play with that mount. I filled the other ones with the medium grade polyurethane from Energy suspension. I do see a crack on both side mounts, but I have to check the rear mount as well. I will check that the front mount is not loose.

MRT
                    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Working...
                    X