Oil in my distributor cap! Help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil in my distributor cap! Help please!

Hi! Today I opened up my distributor cap on my 93 cb7 h22a. And found there was oil all inside the distributor but its not leaking anywhere between the motor and shaft. Even if it doesn't leak between the motor and shaft. Could it still be the seal or o ring??

Thanks!

new $10 purple/yellow tint fog lights

H22a Sleeper:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=124470

There's an inner seal that's leaking. It's a common problem covered here often.

In the future, state your issue in the title, but leave out the cry for help. If it's worded as an issue, we'll address it as such. There's no need for all the emotional desperation.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I got oil/gunk degreaser/water in my distributor cap the first time I washed my engine. The seal holding it on to the coil was shot. I got a new distributor cap and rotor. They are pretty cheap and take minutes to change.
      But if that outer seal is bad too, even easier fix. Comes with a new cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        There's an inner seal that's leaking. It's a common problem covered here often.

In the future, state your issue in the title, but leave out the cry for help. If it's worded as an issue, we'll address it as such. There's no need for all the emotional desperation.
        Thanks for the information! Yeah sorry, I thought it was a big problem, since there is electrical current inside the distributor.

Originally posted by Ispintechno View Post
        I got oil/gunk degreaser/water in my distributor cap the first time I washed my engine. The seal holding it on to the coil was shot. I got a new distributor cap and rotor. They are pretty cheap and take minutes to change.
        But if that outer seal is bad too, even easier fix. Comes with a new cap.

Okay, so it's the seal inside the distributor. "Seal holding onto the coil" Thanks for the info!

Time for a new distributor...

new $10 purple/yellow tint fog lights

H22a Sleeper:
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=124470

Comment

replace o ring

no need for a new distributor...go to dealer and ask for a replacement o-ring for the distributor...should be 2-3 dollars.

then make sure cylinder # 1 is at TDC...then remove the 3 bolts that are holding distributor... slowly put out distibutor...replace the o ring that goes onto the distributor shaft... reverse for installation checking to make sure that the rotor is still pointing to spark plug wire for cylinder # 1

Comment

Replacing O-ring will address external oil leak only.
            It has nothing to do with internal leak as the OP is stating.
            A&P-IA

Comment

The seal you are looking for is :

NOK BH3888E

It can be found on ebay and sometimes amazon. It will require you to take apart the distributor to get to it. You might as well replace the outer o-ring as well.

Hope that helps.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
              JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Working...
              X