Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace Condenser while Replacing AC System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace Condenser while Replacing AC System?

I am ordering my parts for my ac system. So far i am ordering compressor, o-ring seal kit, dryer and expansion valve. I have also read i should possibly replace my condenser. Is this true?

If it’s not broken no. Usually only replaced when you get in a front end accident. Keep the stock one unless it’s cracked

Comment

If the compressor failed and locked up, then you should replace it. When compressors fail, they more times than not send metal though the system, which normally ends up lodged in the condensor. Most places like Napa, etc. will not warranty compressors if you don't replace the condensor at the same time.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

I don’t think his stock compressor locked up? That’s good to know on the warranty thing though Zombie. Used to be just the drier and expansion valve/orifice tube when I worked at the part store.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
          If it’s not broken no. Usually only replaced when you get in a front end accident. Keep the stock one unless it’s cracked
          Cool, less work i have to do. It isn't locked up.

Comment

If the compressor is not locked up, then you will be fine replacing only the compressor if you wish. I STRONGLY recomend flushing the system before you put any new components on (pay special attention to the condenser) to eliminate any possibility of contaminants in the system. Also, the A/C system on our cars were originally R12, not R-134a. R12 is illegal now and does not exsist any more, and it is illegal to knowingly dissipate it into the atmosphere. If your car has not been converted already, you neede to take it to a facility that has the equipment to evactuate the system, ( I doubt this is the case with your car, but just thought I'd mention it). The compressor sits at the bottom of the engine so if that is where it is leaking from it is almost certain there is dirt or some other contaminant has found its way in ( if refrigerant can leak out, dirt can and air can get in). Once you have flushed the system and installed your new components, you need to pull a vaccum on the system for at least 30 mins. Any air left in the system will affect the performance more than you would believe. Refrigerant goes from cold liquid on the low side of the system to hot gas on the high side, outside air diminishes the refrigerants ability to do its job. after the vaccum, charge to 28-30 oz. Around 150 psi on the high side is good, but the low side should be around 30 psi. This is assuming an ambient temp around 75-80 degrees F. Lower ambient temp, lower pressures, higher temps, higher pressures.
            Last edited by Size9zombie; 05-23-2018, 03:51 PM.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
            X