buying a cb7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying a cb7

Hello I am looking to buy a 1990 HONDA ACCORD LX F22A1. Its just like the one I have now but in horrible shape 208k miles body all dented up it was parked for a minor misfire and due to the owner getting a new car + its inspection ran out last month. Going to hear how it runs and drive it tomorrow its been parked for the last year. Is it worth the hassle of fixing it just to run it? If so what should I check first since its been sitting? I'm getting it for 200-300 bucks even if I get a year out of it I'd be happy, Maybe even just get it to part it out. Thank you in advanced for your opinions-thoughts
    Last edited by Kev1990; 11-15-2014, 05:47 PM.

Id definitely buy it. You could scrap the thing for $200. i would try to get it running, use it as a winter beater. if not either keep it as a parts car, or take what you need and part out the rest. You cant go wrong for 2-300. I paid $350 for mine and all it needed was a $7 part and ive put over 3,000 miles on it and its been perfectly fine!

Comment

Pull the plugs and assess them. Buy it if it turns over and drives.

Comment

Yeah it turns over and drives at least he claims it does. Hopefully its in good condition mechanically.

Comment

As Theo said, scrap value is probably $200-$300. In 2013 I picked up a 1991 LX sedan, 167,000 miles for $250 (guy was going to scrap it). It ran fine, but it had been through 3 daughters (only straight metal were two doors and trunk lid) and having a police car dive under the rear end; interior was a mess, front springs were badly broken. I parted it out: made at least $500 for engine, trans, trunk lid, headlights, some other parts, gave a door to a CB7tuner member, and still have some parts available from it. After taking out some frustration bashing on the shell, I still got $200 for it at the recycler.

About the same time, I picked up a 92 LX coupe for $500 that another guy was going to scrap mostly because the cam was mistimed and he didn't want to mess with it. I fixed the timing, wound up doing a head gasket, windshield, and some other repairs, then sold it for $1800 the first day it was listed.
          Last edited by Fleetw00d; 11-15-2014, 11:24 PM.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Lol nice Fleet . I'm actually contacting junk yards before I go to look at it so I know exactly the price it can be junked for I already got one price for 170. You think in my area NJ I would be able to part it out rather quickly? I wouldn't mind keeping the trans as a spare for myself if it's in good shape all depends on how well it runs/drives. Thank you for all of your help I might just try and part this one out as it looks like it's been through a lot it's a kid around my age that's selling it "21" but I don't think it was taken care of the way I maintain my cars.

Comment

Just bought it for 285 it has a bad misfire at idle so it's not EGR, Maintenance light is on, CEL is on, Tempature gauge is not working at all. For having a misfire the car ran really well and it's actually a 1992 dx should I be worried about any of this? I mean the cars drive-able no shudders no play in the wheel. FORGOT TO MENTION : The transmission doesn't whine! It shifts smoothly if the misfire isn't a easy fix I just may keep the transmission for myself and part the rest of it out. A 92 transmission can fit into a 90 can't it?
              Last edited by Kev1990; 11-16-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Check out my 92 LX MRT. I think you have a coolant problem and the misfire is either head gasket or overheat. Check your radiator and oil and get back to me. What does the exhaust look like? Can you describe the misfire?

What did the spark plugs look like?
                Last edited by wildBill83; 11-16-2014, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Misfire fixed! All it was a bad wire one bad one that is actually it was just loose runs perfect now! no problems at all maxing the engine out at 6.5k rpms no smoke no smells nothing at all.

Comment

Nice score then

Comment

Newest problem it's really hard to shift the lever from park to reverse like really hard what causes that? I've had a few cb7's and others I've checked out and none of them shifts from Park-Reverse so hard.

Comment

Thinking about just flipping the car for more money. Is there any way possible to lube up the transmission lever linkage instead of replacing it? Would it help any or enough to give me time to re-sell the car?

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
                          Thinking about just flipping the car for more money. Is there any way possible to lube up the transmission lever linkage instead of replacing it? Would it help any or enough to give me time to re-sell the car?
                          Linkage, some sprayable lithium grease or high viscosity silicone..

cables, aerosol cable grease and this dodad:

Comment

Is that dodad under the center console or under the car? ROFL

Comment

Lubed up and good to go. Have 3 people lined up to check out the car for 1,000-1,100 posted it for 1,200 though. Been driving around thinking about keeping it washed it up in the rain LOL. But in the end I don't need a second car right now and i'm sure there is someone out there that will put it to use. Hard to believe the kind of shape the engine and transmission is in. I don't think I'd part it out as it sits all it needs is a thermostat and it's a great running car for years to come til something major dies.

Comment

Working...
                              X