Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

NEW MEMBER HERE! looking to fix my honda up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW MEMBER HERE! looking to fix my honda up.

hey guys im new here to cb7tuners. I live in the Dallas fort worth area and I own a 93 Honda accord ex. I honestly, haven't been taking care of her as I should be she's got a lot of issues I want to get fixed. mainly I just want to get her up and running like a basic car. I guess the main issue here is the suspension she kind of slopes to the side after I hit a curb. the front left (if your sitting in the drivers seat) how would I go about fixing it? and constantly rattles at highway speeds and when I brake from highway speeds. also I need few new motor mounts where are these located and how would I fix them?

thanks guys! pics coming soon!

Welcome! We have a few members from Dallas who can help you out.

You are going to have to get dirty, get under there and look around. Look for any misshapen or stressed parts. Shake your wheel at the 12/6 and the 3/9 positions and try to feel for any play. Report back with your findings.

Looking at the front of the car, you have motor mounts near the radiator (dog bone), behind the engine and the left and right sides of the engine. To fix, either fill or replace them. There is a DIY here on filling mounts.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

Originally posted by dstrauma View Post
        also I need few new motor mounts where are these located and how would I fix them?
        You don't really need these. every cb7/9 shakes from bad motors mounts and other then shaking at stop lights it effects nothing and can be driven forever like that. I own 3 and all 3 are like that.

As for the shocks just take the wheel off and see if the spring is broken.

Comment

How do you know he doesn't need them? I'm not saying he does, but you seem pretty confident. My car doesn't rattle around like that. I've got engine mounts that are good, too. The engine mounts in these cars are known to fail, as are many components that are nearly 20-25 years old.

OP, my suggestion to you would be to find someone who knows a little bit about cars and get them to help you out. It doesn't sounds like you know enough to try and tackle most of the jobs that would require the replacement of suspension components.

Comment

Originally posted by hamburglar View Post
            How do you know he doesn't need them?
            I assume the only reason someone would want to replace them is because the car shakes when stopped , just saying they dont have to be replaced becuase the shaking doesn't really effect anything.

Comment

Originally posted by dstrauma View Post
              hey guys im new here to cb7tuners. I live in the Dallas fort worth area and I own a 93 Honda accord ex. I honestly, haven't been taking care of her as I should be she's got a lot of issues I want to get fixed. mainly I just want to get her up and running like a basic car. I guess the main issue here is the suspension she kind of slopes to the side after I hit a curb. the front left (if your sitting in the drivers seat) how would I go about fixing it? and constantly rattles at highway speeds and when I brake from highway speeds. also I need few new motor mounts where are these located and how would I fix them?

thanks guys! pics coming soon!
              Welcome.

Sounds like it could be that:
              -Your shock is blown causing your car to lean/dip
              -Your wheel(s) aren't balanced causing your car to shake on the freeway
              -Your rotors are warped causing your car to shake when you brake

Check those. Hope it helps.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

How much is the car worth to you? Do you have a good collection of tools? How much time do you have for repairs? What is your repair budget? If it is an auto the motor mounts you need are going to cost you good money, you will need the rear vacuum assisted motor mount and the torsion dampener on the front of the motor. I believe you can get aftermarket parts from a big box store for around $300. The rear motor mount is a real pain to do with the motor in the car, next time I do one I'm using a hoist and slightly lifting the motor and taking it out the bottom of the vehicle (if I ever chose to do it with the motor in place again, not if I can help it). You can do this job with a basic tool set, but having options to get to hard to reach locations are nice. To address your suspension I hope you have a good collection of tools or have a local shop that rents Honda compatible tools. First off take it to an alignment shop for a free evaluation, this will tell you what is out of whack, if you don't understand it have the tech that does alignments explain it. Anything deviating far from stock could indicate a bent or damaged part. If you want to skip this step and just make it safe and reliable this means a full suspension replacement. OEM replacement upper control arms and lower control arms and ball joints are not too expensive. Recommended tools would be clam style ball joint splitter, air hammer, and a shop press to do the job right. At this point you can replace the worn rubber bushings on your sway and other suspension components along with your shocks and worn springs. While you are pressing the lower ball joint into the front knuckle go ahead and replace hub bearing and rotors, inspect your calipers and replace the pads. After all of this replace your inner and outer tie rods and congrats, you have a factory fresh suspension that will drive great and depending on replacement part quality may last another 20 years trouble free. Do front and rear, don't just band-aid anything on an old car or you will be spending more money later. Do it right or do it twice. Then get it aligned.

After all of this if the car still shakes then you have damaged wheels, could be cupped tires or bent rims or simply out of balance rubber as stated above.

Originally posted by emosun View Post
                I assume the only reason someone would want to replace them is because the car shakes when stopped , just saying they dont have to be replaced becuase the shaking doesn't really effect anything.
                Driving on bad motor mounts can damage your engine, axles, and transmission, it can prevent shifting, it can pinch/pull your throttle cable open, it can destroy the exhaust, it will take out other mounts.... Still think there is only one reason to replace them? The longer you drive with broken parts the more broken parts you will accumulate.
                Last edited by wildBill83; 11-16-2014, 08:24 AM.

Comment

lol I've driven our cb7 since 2001 150k with bad motor mounts and none of that occurred. Sounds like somebody is just overly anal about the motor mounts. Then engine has to shake a lot more for anything to break as a direct cause from it. If any of that were close to being true bumps in the road would pose a bigger threat to the "Fabergé egg" that the engine apparently is in your mind.

Comment

If I'm so wrong, ask anyone who works on vehicles for a living. You will hear shade tree mechanics tell you what you just said. How about you just drive around without a mount at all, eventually that is what is going to happen after you clunk it around enough to fatigue and break. If you can actually find any proof that it is 100% ok to drive around with bad motor mounts I will apologize. I doubt you will find anything reputable though.

Newton stated every force has an equal and opposite reaction, if you don't have motor mounts to stop the engine momentum you will end up applying that torque that should be going through your axle to another part of the vehicle, most likely a metal to metal contact, until it can transition through the axle.

Give me a break, just because you are cheap doesn't mean the op should be too.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                      Newton stated every force has an equal and opposite reaction, if you don't have motor mounts to stop the engine momentum you will end up applying that torque that should be going through your axle to another part of the vehicle, most likely a metal to metal contact, until it can transition through the axle.
                      That would be 100&#37; true if the engine shook way more then it actually does. Truth is it doesn't. I'm sure you really really want to prove the mount being worn is an issue , but in reality it isn't. Maybe if the car wasn't designed well it would be.

If you can actually find any proof that it is 100% ok to drive around with bad motor mounts I will apologize. I doubt you will find anything reputable though.
                      It's sitting in my driveway , original 22 year old motor mounts and works fine.

oh , also every cb7 ever that is still driving with it's original motor mounts as well. I think it's much harder for you to prove it actually effects anything , because every driving example of a original cb7 is proof for me.

Give me a break, just because you are cheap doesn't mean the op should be too.
                      These are the cheapest cars in the US to buy and own , lol. You think the majority of cb7's AREN'T owned by bush mechanics and people who are "cheap"? Don't stick a rolls grille on a vw you aren't fooling anyone lol

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post
                        Don't stick a rolls grille on a vw you aren't fooling anyone lol
                        Nice Cheech & Chong reference. I think the motor mounts are worth it you may not, it's up to the OP to determine on his own though.

Comment

Working...
                        X