Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Who uses coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who uses coils?

Looking to buy coils just because I'm not comfortable with a set ride height. I plan on adding 300 lbs of music for now.... So a set ride height really makes me uneasy. Who has coilover? What coils are preferred? I'm looking at F&F type ones they seem to get good reviews. I have about 6-900 to spend. When adjusting coils are there set increments or is it just like screwing something as tight as you want. (when I say incriments I mean is there going to be a click or anything noticeable to get all wheels even). Is there a general rule of thumb when adjusting or is it just all personal preference. As of now I'm riding on H&r springs which cause my struts to bottom out so I really wanna upgrade my suspension. Any help or advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by Abcdefranklin; 07-09-2012, 05:36 PM.

All of our cars have coils :P

As for coilovers, the "correct" way to get them even is to use corner scales to even out the weight. The usual way would be to eyeball it, or measure the location of the collars. Use some of that money to replace worn ball joints & bushings while you're in there.

Comment

Originally posted by kinguin7 View Post
      All of our cars have coils :P

As for coilovers, the "correct" way to get them even is to use corner scales to even out the weight. The usual way would be to eyeball it, or measure the location of the collars. Use some of that money to replace worn ball joints & bushings while you're in there.
      I'll have to look into the corner scales. and yeah I want to replace as much as I can while everything is apart

Comment

You'd be better off just getting some quality springs and shocks... I recommend H&R and Koni Yellows. Take the guesswork out of it. You don't have the tools or knowledge to properly set an adjustable suspension (the adjustability of the Koni Yellows is even more than you need). Adjustable coilovers are what's popular now, but to be honest... they're a pain in the balls. The collars need maintenance or they will seize. Most of the systems on the market today are cheaply made in foreign countries like China and Taiwan (I fear this may be true even for F&F, though I have no confirmation of that... not that I have ever heard anything bad about them, though.) You might want to look into the PROPER way to set up an adjustable suspension, and you'll probably agree that it's far too much work. You could always ride around ignorant like 99% of the people using coilovers today... but why?

Comment

Which H&R springs do you have now?
          You'll want some stiff coils if you're going to add weight to a heavy car..
          Check out the H&R Cup Kits.

^^Photos taken by me ^^

Comment

I have the H&R sport springs. I love the stance right now but haven't added in the weight. I'm just not sure how the added weight will affect a 1.5" drop or else I would go with the H&R cup kit. I'm adding 300lbs of music now. I plan on building a wall in my wagon, Which will easily double that weight or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdefranklin View Post
              I'll have to look into the corner scales.
              If you end up getting coilovers then just measure it to your best ability and eyeball it, thats what everybody does. Unless you're a hella racecar enthusiast than corner scaling is probably taking it too far (not that anybody uses scales anyways). And buying scales is probably out of the question being that they cost about a grand.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdefranklin View Post
                I have the H&R sport springs. I love the stance right now but haven't added in the weight. I'm just not sure how the added weight will affect a 1.5" drop or else I would go with the H&R cup kit. I'm adding 300lbs of music now. I plan on building a wall in my wagon, Which will easily double that weight or more.
                Have you thought about coil sleeves? For height adjustability.
                Ground Control make sleeve kits for specific dampers/shocks, and specific to the CB7. And they use Eibach coils.

^^Photos taken by me ^^

Comment

I use D2 coilovers, they are fully adjustable minus camber adjustment. Height and dampning. Make sure you have proper preload specs.

Comment

I would put the extra weight from the audio in and see how you like it first. Then start looking into other suspension options.

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord View Post
                      I use D2 coilovers, they are fully adjustable minus camber adjustment. Height and dampning. Make sure you have proper preload specs.
                      I've heard of far too many D2s breaking on people. They are the perfect example of "cheaply made" parts that I mentioned earlier.

Comment

@stormtrooper No i haven't I will have to look into them.

@Bongo as is I hate the suspension my struts always bottom out. (sounds like death) Adding more weight will just make me hate it even more.

Comment

I assume your struts are stock? You should NEVER lower your car on struts that aren't properly matched to your springs. It's very unsafe.

And yes, those Ground Control sleeves, paired to some Koni Yellows, are probably a higher quality setup than any "fully body" coilover available for our cars.

Comment

@deev yes I know I bought the car this way trust me I wouldn't have lowered like this and it's why I really wanna get rid of it. The ground control sleeves Look awesome but wouldn't it be just be easier to buy full coilovers? If those ground control sleeves and Koni yellows are really that BA. then I will probably go this route

Comment

Easier, yes. But the Ground Controls and Konis are most certainly higher quality parts.

Personally, I'd stay away from adjustable all together. Keep your springs, and get Koni Yellows.

Comment

Working...
                              X