No announcement yet.

Jarrett : 1993 Accord EX (2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice work sir. love those wheels btw, they are my favorite of all time. in fact I am going 5-lug, with those as the ultimate vision, so you beat me to it. Keep up the awesome work!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Well, I think I've changed my mind about ABS. Given the fact that there's not a proportioning valve that will compensate for the brake upgrades I've done, I would prefer to keep a system in place that will help to adequately distribute line pressure between front and rear. This is going to mean either swapping or rebuilding the current accumulator. Additionally, I threw away all 4 of my wheel sensors. The fronts didn't matter because I need TL sensors anyway, but I could have used the rear ones. Does anyone have them that they would part with?
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

awesome! we have the same wheels but i think i have one of the rarest set up for a kosei k1. 16x7-1/2 +32 offset

Comment

Saw the goodies you picked up in the pictures of your purchase thread. Definitely tuned in for results on those rack bushings.

I didn't realize how much you had into this car lately. The upgrades look fantastic. I can imagine they will feel awesome when it's back on the road.

Comment

That's the thing. I don't have much into this car. Well, at least not physically. All of my stuff used to take up the study of my parent's old home. Now, as no one uses the master bedroom anymore, the bedroom, study, two closets and the garage are full of stuff that needs to go on this car. Granted a lot of things have duplicates and many things need to be sold, but the point is that the car itself is unimpressive.

I did get some bed liner in the wheel wells this morning. That marks the first time I've actually done work on the car since I stopped after my vacation. I changed gears suspension-wise and bought a new set of Koni yellows. Mike unintentionally peer-pressured me into it with his new shiny ones. Once I get Ground Control coilovers and a few new OEM bits I'll sell these Super Streets and finish the suspension install.

I also ordered a set of "B" Type-S pistons for the 95mm H22A I'm building. I still need to order a generic header to get me by until the Vibrant group buy is actually set to go. Then I should be ready to go with this thing.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              I changed gears suspension-wise and bought a new set of Koni yellows. Mike unintentionally peer-pressured me into it with his new shiny ones.

I'm curious though why the Integra 4040 wouldn't work for you? Because of the 4-piston fronts? How would keeping the stock CB7 ABS be any different in proportions as compared to the integra valve?

Anyway if you really want to bias extra toward the front, you can use a manually adjustable proportioning valve. You would lose the redundancy split of having front right/back left combined on a single port, both rears would need to be run from the same port on the master cyl via a splitter after the valve. But this would allow you to dial in exactly the proportions that you are looking for.

http://www.wilwood.com/mastercylinde...dervalves.aspx

I had used their simple single rear adjustment valve on my truck, and it worked excellently to reduce the rear bias.
              Last edited by cp[mike]; 04-19-2015, 07:06 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I'm using this same prop valve myself. I built all the lines myself to eliminate ABS using it.
                '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

I need that in my life. With the 11.1" rotors and ITR calipers on the front of the car, the bias is WAAAY towards the rear and makes initial pedal travel pretty soft.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

My logic with the braking system was to retain a built-in safety feature present with the ABS equipment as there was no ideal proportioning valve to accommodate all of the many variables I have now thrown at the braking system. I did not consider an adjustable valve, and that would have been the best course. However, this way I can drive the car and see how well the system performs when pushed. If the bias or balance is out of whack, I can always remove the ABS system at that point. The only money I've spent on retaining it so far is the cost of TL front wheel speed sensors and having to repurchase the rears that I threw away.

Anyway, there's been a bit of an update in my life. I moved to Denton, TX this past month (north of Dallas) to work on the I-35E expansion project. I work in civil construction so I move every so often. I've been able to stay pretty close to home in Bryan/College Station for the most part, but now I'm 4 hours away. The place I'm in has a garage and I plan to do work on the Accord here, but first I need to get it here. It's still sitting in my parent's driveway with no front suspension. Hopefully I'll have some time this coming weekend to get the suspension sorted and get the car rolling. That way I can get it here to do the swap and all of the other things it needs. That heater core still needs to be swapped and I'm not looking forward to it.

My CL is headed to the body shop in the next few weeks to get the body work and primer done on it, so there should be a nice spot opening up to get some Accord work done. Until then, I'm restricted to the things that I can do here without the car. On Sunday afternoon I spent some time watching Star Wars and delooming my spare engine harness. There are a few broken leads that I will completely rewire as well as run bigger wire for grounds, add VTEC wiring, eliminate IAB wiring and change the pigtails on the injectors for the RDX units. Once everything is adjusted to the correct length I'll run woven sleeve over all parts of the harness and heat shrink the ends before the connectors. I wish someone sold a harness "kit" that included a couple of ring terminals and about 2 feet of various heat shrink tubing sizes and 20 feet of various woven nylon sleeving. Buying it all in bulk to do one harness is expensive.

Not much to look at.

Last edited by Jarrett; 07-28-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I need to do the same thing with my wire harness. Its amazing how dirty it is. Could you snap me a picture of external wire loom. Specifically the yellow wire and the black/yellow wire. The harness that I have is cut and I am not sure where the two wires lead too.
                      It does suck not having the car close by to work on.
                      ~Nick~
                      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Jarrett

You mentioned RDX injectors..how are you getting them to stay snug on the fuel rail? And obviously since it has to be tuned..what are you going to be running for a management system?

I know Rywire and KTuned make the aluminum spacers for the B Series fuel rail to run those injectors..I just didn't think anyone made ones for the H22.

Henry
                        Henry R
                        Koni/Neuspeed
                        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                        1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                        made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Grumpy, I'll do it when I get home later tonight.

Henry, I have a Euro R manifold and a Rosko fuel rail specifically designed for the RDX injectors. The rail comes with spacers for the injectors bosses in the runners. I'm afraid I have no experience with trying to mount them in a standard H22A manifold.

Comment

A lot of time has passed since the last time I worked on this car. It's the same excuse as it always is with me being far away from where the car is stored. This Texas heat hasn't helped matters much, either. But you didn't come here to listen to me excuse myself, so here's what was done.

One of the things that held up the swap was a bad heater core. While I don't NEED the engine out, it's certainly preferred. Doubly so because I have to remove the evaporator to remove the heater core. I really had no desire to break open the A/C as it was perfectly good R12 from a Pacific NW car where they hardly use the A/C. Ultimately I gave in. I'm someone who will take every advantage of a circumstance to tackle multiple projects at once. Probably to a fault. Since I was going to have the heater core out, I prepared myself for a few other projects as well.

I pulled the blower motor, the evaporator box and finally, the heater core. Luckily I had the other '93 EX coupe with a heater core that looked brand new. That car was from here down South and the heater core almost never gets used. Before I could reinstall it, though, I needed to take care of all of the wiring I want to do behind the dash. One of those projects was the SRS harness and control unit.

I had planned to swap in the dual airbag control unit and harness anyway, but looking at the original control unit, it's probably best I did anyway. The leaking heater core had rusted the case of the control unit and it looked to be in bad shape. The new one was a pretty straightforward install, but I did have to cut the foam firewall padding in a couple of locations.

Another item on the agenda was to remove a lot of components from the engine bay that would no longer be used. I didn't get everything done, but I tackled most of it. My girlfriend helped out quite a bit here, too, as she's tiny and able to get into small places. That and she just really enjoys helping.

She's very inconspicuous.

I get angry very easily when working on cars and she still comes out to help. That's a keeper in my books.

Before:

After:

The EVAP canister still needs to be removed, but that's mostly it. The battery is going back into the trunk and the black box will remain off as well. I'm probably going to be okay if things are a little messy right now just because I want the engine back in the car to drive it. There are so many other areas of this car that I want to give attention that I just haven't been able to because it's restricted to my driveway.

Next on the agenda is getting the non-ABS master cylinder and lines in along with the 4040 proportioning valve. Once that's in I'll continue with the front suspension and Brembo caliper installation.

As a bonus, here's another one of my recent weekend projects. 13.5 hours in the smoker at 190-degrees makes for one amazing slab of meat. I know the US has good food all over, but where else can you find a brisket in a driveway?

This bad boy was 15 lbs. wet. There are a couple of things I want to do a little differently next time so it may not be long before I have another one to post. It takes a while to eat that much meat, though.
                            Last edited by Jarrett; 08-05-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Keep up the good work! How's the new construction project going?

Let me know if you want to unload any of the ABS parts you removed.
                              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thanks! The new project is going okay. I'm in a different role these days. I was a field engineer over all of the roadway/flatwork paving when I was in Houston. These days I'm running concrete plants. I rarely see the field work unless I intentionally go out there to break up the day's monotony. Hopefully that changes soon, but I doubt it. Until I can find someone to fill the role I'm in now, I'm pretty much stuck. I spend a good 10 hours a day in front of various spreadsheets and the other 2 or 3 in meetings. And yes, the ABS components are yours if you want them. I can put them in a box and send them to you, or I can hold on to them until the next time you're in Texas.

Comment

Working...
                                X