No announcement yet.

I need a normal newer car for a DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me, the ultimate "granny performance" still lies in the last of the B-bodies... Caprice, Impala, Roadmaster, Custom Cruiser... Though they're all very quickly becoming popular among tuners. Cheap, mass-produced, and capable of making a TON of power while still being luxurious cruisers.
    That goes beyond the scope of a reliable daily, though. If he were to get one of those, he might as well just get a familiar CB7 for better fuel economy!

Comment

I'm going to look at a '00 ES300 with 134k Tuesday. White on silver. 2nd owner. It's a little on the high side at $3200 but that's doable if it's nice enough.

Will post up when I know more.

Comment

Mine's an automatic, so never had any clutch problems. We did have to replace the compressor at 40K miles ( I was *pissed* about that), but thankfully I has an extended warranty so it only cost $50 vs. $700. This compressor has over 100K miles on it, so hopefully it will make it through the heat this year.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        The only significant problem I ever had with my Fit was that the clutch would regularly drop hub springs. I was on my 4th clutch by the time I sold it. ALWAYS OEM parts, and all but the last time installed by Honda technicians. The first one went out at 188,000 miles. Plenty of friction material remaining on it, sadly. It just dropped a spring, which trashed the clutch and flywheel. It was about a $1200 repair to have done professionally (it's not terribly difficult to do, but I couldn't afford the downtime and potential for error of doing myself on my work car!)
        The clutch spring issues were likely related to my sustained 4,000 RPM daily highway drives. I'd drive up to 90 minutes at a time cruising at 80mph, which was right around 4,000 RPM. I'm fairly certain that is what killed my clutch numerous times. Probably what took out my AC compressor/clutch 3 times as well.

Comment

7th gen accord.

plain,boring parts are cheap and easy to drive. they get good gas mileage too. i had a 2004 v6 6 speed coupe, it was a plain boring car but it never left me stranded. can be had cheap also. the v6 and i4 engines are stout.
          COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by SEgirl View Post
            Mine's an automatic, so never had any clutch problems. We did have to replace the compressor at 40K miles ( I was *pissed* about that), but thankfully I has an extended warranty so it only cost $50 vs. $700. This compressor has over 100K miles on it, so hopefully it will make it through the heat this year.
            In Florida?? Nope, nope, nope. Y'all should have a law that says every car is mandated to have a functioning AC.

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
            7th gen accord.

plain,boring parts are cheap and easy to drive. they get good gas mileage too. i had a 2004 v6 6 speed coupe, it was a plain boring car but it never left me stranded. can be had cheap also. the v6 and i4 engines are stout.
            They are very boring and plain...I think that's why I like them. I test drove the 6-6 sedan. It was ok. I was used to my j35 so you could see how I was underwhelmed when I pushed it a bit. They do feel solid and well put together though.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

If it has to be 05+ and $3k range, i vote Toyota. Most likely a a Corolla. Like you wanted, its reliable A to B, low maintenance/ cheaper parts, gas saver, low key, plenty out there to choose from, and can be had for cheap. It's a boring car that you most likely wouldn't get attached to and dump money into it (maybe some $ for maintenance).
              Just my 2 cents..

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
              My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
              Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

The ES300 wasn't what it was cracked up to be. No big deal.

Anyhow, from this thread and everyone's input I now have a better idea of what I'm looking for. And several good options as well.

It may be a while. I tend to take a while on things like this. When the right car comes along I'll know.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

I'm surprised and a little disappointed that there is so little love here for the Civic or even Accord... Far better driving experience than a Toyota IMO.
                  My Collection:
                  93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                  00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                  04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
                    I'm surprised and a little disappointed that there is so little love here for the Civic or even Accord... Far better driving experience than a Toyota IMO.
                    I can't speak for around the OP, but around here most anything Honda in the $2,500 range has been modified by Dominic Toretto, Jr. It's much easier to find a well maintained Corolla than Civic.

Comment

I was thinking maybe a CR-V although I haven't really looked at the prices of those. But I wouldn't think an older one would be all that much.
                      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                        I can't speak for around the OP, but around here most anything Honda in the $2,500 range has been modified by Dominic Toretto, Jr. It's much easier to find a well maintained Corolla than Civic.
                        Not to mention that any civic or accord is more likely to get stolen to get used as parts car than a corolla or Camry, that was the deciding factor for me to get a corolla over another Honda for DD purposes. I wish I had known of the vibe as they are dirt cheap around here, an 09 I found had me considering selling my corolla.
                        [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

careful with those impalas the motor is easy to work on but those wheel bearings are a pita.

Comment

Being a un-ashamed honda fan-boy, I'd want a well-maintained civic, or a fit.

Check this out, 56k original miles

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/6148003392.html
                            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

If you have to go with a Honda, why not the most fun you can have on two wheels?

14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Working...
                              X