What paint to use on dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What paint to use on dash

I am considering painting my black dash and other black trim in car. That goo gone crap left a white residue i can't get up for nothing. Am trying back to black but have read over and over it wont last that long. What kind of paint is good for this. I also want to paint that black part below the radio. Maybe even my whole center console black. Who knows. I don't plan on taking my dash out to paint. Just leaving it in there. That is a vinyl right. Anyone with any experience on this?

Your best bet is an SEM-branded paint out of a can with a lid. That said, it still won't work how you want it to. There are black dashes and consoles out there. That's what you want.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      Your best bet is an SEM-branded paint out of a can with a lid. That said, it still won't work how you want it to. There are black dashes and consoles out there. That's what you want.
      Really what i want is to go back in time and never ever use that goo gone shit. Let us see how long back to black works on interior vinyl dash. Maybe it keeps it looking good for a while. since it isn't outside and flat.

Comment

Do what you think is best, but from experience, you will vastly appreciate the OEM black dash and the ability to clean it, bump into it, set things on it and so forth.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          Do what you think is best, but from experience, you will vastly appreciate the OEM black dash and the ability to clean it, bump into it, set things on it and so forth.
          yeah, i am a perfectionist. A nice black dash would be better than painting for sure. But a shit load of work. I was looking at different vinyl dyes. I wonder why it looks like shit most of the time as i have read. I really just need a secret to get that white residue left from using goo gone. I wonder if that is adhesive the goo gone pulled out of vinyl or is it residue from goo gone itself.

Comment

Reading online you are not alone with this problem. Have you tried Simply Green and a microfiber towel ?

Comment

I'm not sure why you would use a harsh chemical to clean the vinyl and interior plastics anyway. I always use some Simple Green. If you really need it to work in, I soak a wash cloth and lay it over the trouble area. Then just use some elbow grease. On interior parts, I will follow up with a watered down rag and then followed up by a dry rag. Simple Green will leave a soap like residue behind. You probably have to swap your dash at this point to get it cleaned up properly. The dash really isn't that hard to swap honestly. You can have yours out in about 40 minutes and the new one back in, in roughly the same amount of time.
              MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                I'm not sure why you would use a harsh chemical to clean the vinyl and interior plastics anyway. I always use some Simple Green. If you really need it to work in, I soak a wash cloth and lay it over the trouble area. Then just use some elbow grease. On interior parts, I will follow up with a watered down rag and then followed up by a dry rag. Simple Green will leave a soap like residue behind. You probably have to swap your dash at this point to get it cleaned up properly. The dash really isn't that hard to swap honestly. You can have yours out in about 40 minutes and the new one back in, in roughly the same amount of time.
                I need to get off what looked like dried paint or something. And i didn't rinse off the goo gone after using it like i should have. It claims to be safe on auto interiors. Bunch of bs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                  I have found Simple Green to be extraordinarily harsh. Great on grease, but it also eats paint! Using it too frequently made all of the OEM paint from my engine bay rub off. For all I know it could be safe on plastics, but I shy away from it for anything other than bare metal.

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
                  I need to get off what looked like dried paint or something. And i didn't rinse off the goo gone after using it like i should have. It claims to be safe on auto interiors. Bunch of bs.
                  Goo Gone should be very inert - but it IS a sticky oil - have you tried using lots of water and a little soap? Even if it dried, I would be surprised if it damaged vinyl, but I could be wrong.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                    Goo Gone should be very inert - but it IS a sticky oil - have you tried using lots of water and a little soap? Even if it dried, I would be surprised if it damaged vinyl, but I could be wrong.
                    I did try washing it with soapy water. It didn't work. It is like a white haze that seems to be embedded in the vinyl. The back to black makes it look great but am sure that will wear away in time. I am just wondering how long it will take for it to wear away. I think i would rather take my carpet out and clean that then take the dash out. I can't seem to get the carpet really clean while it still in car. A different topic though.
                    Last edited by zedjr10; 05-09-2019, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I think i would rather take my carpet out and clean that then take the dash out. I can't seem to get the carpet really clean while it still in car. A different topic though.
                      I used the SEM product Jarrett mentions on my door panel inserts. This was done in 2014; it is holding up very well.

Quick note on the different topic: I've cleaned several carpets by removing it from the car, use a solution of OxyClean to scrub it, then hang it up (I used a 2x2 and some clamps and a step ladder) and use a power washer to rinse it from top to bottom until the water runs clear. Brake cleaner worked on some tough spots. Best to have a nice hot, sunny day to leave it suspended from the 2x2 to dry it.
                      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 05-09-2019, 12:43 PM.
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                        I used the SEM product Jarrett mentions on my door panel inserts. This was done in 2014; it is holding up very well.

Quick note on the different topic: I've cleaned several carpets by removing it from the car, use a solution of OxyClean to scrub it, then hang it up (I used a 2x2 and some clamps and a step ladder) and use a power washer to rinse it from top to bottom until the water runs clear. Brake cleaner worked on some tough spots. Best to have a nice hot, sunny day to leave it suspended from the 2x2 to dry it.
                        That looks sharp and almost oem on door inserts. I might do mine like that in green on mine. Does removing the carpet make a big difference in cleaning. I cleaned my trunk carpet while in it and hardly got it cleaned. Once i took it out and inside it cleaned very well. Might be because for the car i got to use the hand held carpet cleaner as opposed the rolling brushes and heat on the stand up model.

Comment

That looks sharp and almost oem on door inserts. I might do mine like that in green on mine. Does removing the carpet make a big difference in cleaning. I cleaned my trunk carpet while in it and hardly got it cleaned. Once i took it out and inside it cleaned very well. Might be because for the car i got to use the hand held carpet cleaner as opposed the rolling brushes and heat on the stand up model.
                          Taking it out helps a lot. I laid it on the driveway and poured about half a gallon of OxyClean solution in each foot well area and used a scrub brush to go over all of it. As I indicated, then used my power washer to rinse it. You can also make sure it is dry before putting it back in. Doing it in the car can be difficult to get it dry, then your seat rails and floor can stay wet and rust.

Results on a 93 SE I rescued - before:

After OxyClean and power wash, better, but still kinda ugly.

A maroon one I did came out very well (it wasn't as bad as above to start with)
                          Last edited by Fleetw00d; 05-10-2019, 12:13 AM.
                          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                            Taking it out helps a lot. I laid it on the driveway and poured about half a gallon of OxyClean solution in each foot well area and used a scrub brush to go over all of it. As I indicated, then used my power washer to rinse it. You can also make sure it is dry before putting it back in. Doing it in the car can be difficult to get it dry, then your seat rails and floor can stay wet and rust.

Results on a 93 SE I rescued - before:

After OxyClean and power wash, better, but still kinda ugly.

A maroon one I did came out very well (it wasn't as bad as above to start with)
                            how many times did u go over the tan one. I got a hoover power scrub that does wonders on home carpet and even some auto carpet.

Comment

how many times did u go over the tan one. I got a hoover power scrub that does wonders on home carpet and even some auto carpet.
                              I probably used 2 gallons of OxyClean on it before rinsing. After drying, I probably went through a can of brake cleaner afterward to deal with some of the worst areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X