Question about alignments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about alignments

I did a search and didn't find an answer to my thought...

Is the toe adjusted as a single number? I mean...do they adjust the toe in the front per each tire, or as a set?

And if the rear toe adjuster is seized up, what is the best way to unseize that? I've tried penetrating lubricant and a breaker bar...can I heat it up and work it loose?

Originally posted by benjiaccord View Post
    I did a search and didn't find an answer to my thought...

Is the toe adjusted as a single number? I mean...do they adjust the toe in the front per each tire, or as a set?

And if the rear toe adjuster is seized up, what is the best way to unseize that? I've tried penetrating lubricant and a breaker bar...can I heat it up and work it loose?
    The front toe is always adjusting in pairs to reduce tire wear. And I've never heard of a rear toe adjustment lol. I don't see the point since they're always straight anyway. I've only adjusted camber on the rear.
    1994 Honda Accord SiR Sports Sedan

“When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.” - Abraham Lincoln
    CD5Tuner - A Fifth Generation Accord Community
    PS3 tag: Mechtroop

Comment

Well...I know there is toe adjustment in the rear. It was supposedly fixed the last time I went in, but one of my wheels in the rear they said the bolt was fused so i tried to break it loose myself. Couldn't do it so I left it alone. When I was under my car installing exhaust I noticed I have saw-tooth on that wheel.

I'm going in for new tires today and will ask about getting my alignment checked to see where its at. They'll do that part for free, they only charge you if they actually do the alignment. I'm getting some inexpensive tires this time around because I want to clear up any suspension issues that I have before I go and get nice tires again.

That involves getting some pieces that I realized were missing like the spring insulators front and rear. I want to make sure everything is there that needs to be there and then I'll see about getting my alignment dialed back in properly.

Comment

Definitely the right thing to do, if the suspension's not right, you're throwing money away on tires.

There is rear toe adjustment. If its lowered any, it will be out of adjustment and toed out unless you have adjustable lower control arms. If you have it aligned at a reputable shop the numbers will always be reported and adjusted in pairs L/R. You can get DIY alignment set-ups like some autoX and racers use, and many times they use single numbers like "toe in 1/8th" (meaning L toe in 1/16th & R toe in 1/16th) HTH..
        Last edited by 9threeEX; 10-26-2010, 09:37 AM.
        93 EX Arcadia Coupe, 5spd, f22a6, strut bars, 2"drop, baer brakes, ingalls camber kit, tokicos w/ eibach, K&N, 205s / 16s

Comment

if you do not check the toe in the rear you are only doing 1/2 the job.

Thrust angle...look into it

Yes our rear toe is adjustable I have done it myself. If penetrating oil and a big ass breaker did not work...1st make sure you are turning the right nut...sounds dumb but on some cars the lock nut and the adjuster look identical, if you try to turn the adjuster before loosening the lock nut you will not get anywhere.

Guess you could try heat next...
          ____

Comment

yea rear toe is adjustable. Mine was wayyyy out a few days ago. front end is way out :/

it goes

Rear Camber Rear Toe Front Caster Front Camber Front Toe
            COUPE K24

Comment

Well, got my new inexpensive tires today ($400 out the door) went up a size on the sidewall and its made a considerable difference in roadnoise...I also don't scrape going down my driveway anymore...I went from a 205/40/17 to a 205/45/17...was going to go with 215 but they only had 2 in stock and I needed em today so.

Next will be ordering the spring insulators and putting those in, also, shock bellows seeing as how mine doesn't have them installed. Gotta love the maintenance.

Also on a side note, I've gotta fix my exhaust rattle...pretty sure its a heat shield...

Comment

I had a pretty bad heat shield rattle especially in wet driving. Looked under there when I had my gas tank replaced and found like 6 bolts missing from it No rattle at all now!

As for the toe adjusters, lucky for me mine where not seized up at all. Rear toe is extremely important to get to as close to 0 as possible or it will chew the tires up. Front toe is equally important but the fronts dont usually seize. Keep in mind I run a hair over -2 degrees camber all around but zero toe and so far only my front tires show minor camber wear which is from cornering hard, really hard. I do have 205/55/15's tho so sidewall flex helps out. I would say correcting the camber to save the tires is more crucial with a lower profile tire like yours.

Also, I have a set of new rear insulators for the top of the springs, and a used set from the front. LMK if you want me to ship em your way boss.
                Last edited by SleepyG; 10-27-2010, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Cool man, pm me with a price

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyG View Post

As for the toe adjusters, lucky for me mine where not seized up at all. Rear toe is extremely important to get to as close to 0 as possible or it will chew the tires up. Front toe is equally important but the fronts dont usually seize. Keep in mind I run a hair over -2 degrees camber all around but zero toe and so far only my front tires show minor camber wear which is from cornering hard, really hard. I do have 205/55/15's tho so sidewall flex helps out. I would say correcting the camber to save the tires is more crucial with a lower profile tire like yours.
                    THIS^
                    true statement
                    i could never understand why my back tires wore way faster than front
                    theres less weight back there
                    but i look and my wheels are point in as F***
                    some hints if your toe is bad is EVEN WEAR across the tire
                    you will have camber wear like normal on correctly aligned tires
                    you will have camber wear PLUS wear accross the tire with bad toe
                    fact about tire wear: Toe causes more wear than camber.

One question (thread jack lol)....Is it possible to adjust toe in the rear yourself?
                    -Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by tm123 View Post
                      THIS^
                      true statement
                      i could never understand why my back tires wore way faster than front
                      theres less weight back there
                      but i look and my wheels are point in as F***
                      some hints if your toe is bad is EVEN WEAR across the tire
                      you will have camber wear like normal on correctly aligned tires
                      you will have camber wear PLUS wear accross the tire with bad toe
                      fact about tire wear: Toe causes more wear than camber.

One question (thread jack lol)....Is it possible to adjust toe in the rear yourself?
                      Absolutely, but how the hell will you know how much to adjust without all the alignment equipment

And front tires should always wear faster than rears or somethings wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyG View Post
                        Absolutely, but how the hell will you know how much to adjust without all the alignment equipment

And front tires should always wear faster than rears or somethings wrong.
                        gotcha!

and aparently something is wrong
                        i will go through 2 sets in the rear before 1 set in the front
                        my car is slammed
                        havent had an alignment yet
                        pulls right very hard
                        and by eyeball, the rear are very toed in

help? suggestions? (get an alignment thats a suggestion i know)
                        but barely any places align slammed cars,(mines past lowered LoL)
                        -Tyler

Comment

Working...
                        X