CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Old 10-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
AmTeC
CB7tuner Member

AmTeC is cool... so far.
Send a message via Skype™ to AmTeC
Thumbs down Main relay acting up again

So I had a main relay issue sometime ago that I stupidly thought was a flooding issue, and I opened up the relay, and used a super crappy iron that had a crappy tip which had all of its special plating stripped off because of a wire brush, and I used it to solder my main relay joints, with the crappy iron it was so painstaking and time consuming and I lost track of how many I did some, looked fine, others looked like total crap, but I was tired of soldering and assumed it would be good enough, so I drilled holes in the casing of the relay and slapped it back together, no problems for 3 months and now its doing it again, but only after trying to restart it shortly after a long drive. When it cools down its good. Now I'm like 90% sure its my bad soldering. Before I take it apart and DO IT PROPERLY THIS TIME. Is this a lost cause? even if I solder it right, is there a good chance it'll break again? Should I just get a new relay? Anyone still going strong with a repaired relay?

Betzi might have come to an abrupt end, But the legacy lives on with Daisy the CB7. This won't happen again 👿

Last edited by AmTeC; 10-05-2017 at 07:06 PM.
AmTeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
I had my repaired relay for 2+ years. Once a proper solder joint is made, it should last another 10+ years. Give it another shot! Also post pics. I can tell you if your solder job is bad. Or PM me if you don't want it shown publicly.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
AmTeC
CB7tuner Member

AmTeC is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikaccord View Post
I had my repaired relay for 2+ years. Once a proper solder joint is made, it should last another 10+ years. Give it another shot! Also post pics. I can tell you if your solder job is bad. Or PM me if you don't want it shown publicly.
I'll post it publicly, I think being roasted is good motivation to do better next time

I am not the most experienced solderer. I have had a soldering iron for years in case the wires broke off of my computer's cpu fan. which happened alot because I was constantly changing ramsticks and things around and the wires were in the way. I also used it to replace capacitors on dead motherboards, all sorts of things really. I wasn't too bad at it but I'm a bit out of practice, Also my iron has been run over by a Nissan rouge, yes that was the the one I used to fix my relay, and yes, it was run over before I tried to solder the relay, tip was broken and covered in crap too which cause the solder to not melt because the heat wasn't transferring, Im going to buy a new one.

Betzi might have come to an abrupt end, But the legacy lives on with Daisy the CB7. This won't happen again 👿

Old 11-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

wtfisafleek is cool... so far.
What kind of solder did you use?
wtfisafleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
AmTeC
CB7tuner Member

AmTeC is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisafleek View Post
What kind of solder did you use?
I used electrical solder with flux already in it. So far, so good, problem hasn't returned since I did the repair.

Tags
main relay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: