Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What makes our cbs good cars in your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my CB wasnt my first choice (more like its what i can get at the moment) but for some reason my wife and i like driving (riding in her case) it. my wife has a 2006 sonata, its nice, and my CB ex has pretty much general features, i just think its the simplicity of the car (since its 20yrs old) that makes me want to drive my CB
    FRIENDS
    DONT LET
    FRIENDS
    ROLL ON
    ROTA'S

Comment

hmmMm

tough to say , i,d say i like me car because of the tight accord community bond
      with out that it would just be a car, i enjoy sharing my car , i physically like the look of my car its like a honda Cadillac to me ..lol its comfy enouph to sleep in , and my cars different , im the only one in my crowd with one...

Comment

I bought a cb7 for the look and later I found out how much oem swap ability these cars have inside and out. If I can't fix my rust for a reasonable price I will be buying another CB7 cause I love em

Comment

Low maintenance costs, pretty decent MPG, great looks, and reliable as a you would ever want a car to be (with proper maintenance) whats not to love about a cb7. I've owned 2 so far and though my first one I owned/drove cause thats the best I could afford a the time ,I drive my cb7 now out of pure love of the car.

Comment

HardInThePaint said damn near word for word how I feel.

The only thing I can add is that I feel the CB's interior quality is superb compared to most newer cars I've driven. Nicer than my 09 Fit. Nicer than my 06 CTS-V. Nicer than my 02 Grand Prix GTP (good riddance), nicer than my old 02 Accord SE sedan...
            The quality of the materials is fantastic. The Fit and finish is better than many newer cars. The ergonomics are great. I thought that was due to me being so familiar with it... but I've had more seat time in my Fit than I have in my CB7, and while the Fit comes close (still one of the best I've had in terms of interior layout), the CB7 is still superior.

Comment

^ I looooove my RSX's interior. Simple and functional, and everything's layed out very well. Not cram-packed with buttons and crap like so many cars these days. Especially with my aftermarket deck simplifying the stock controls. Plus, it's got the most bad-ass cup holder/tray setup ever, haha!

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I can go on an on but here is some:

Financial Point of view - Having a CB7 means I dont wear the cost of depreciation, can go without full comprehensive insurance, no loan repayments, no interest payments, no extra new car warranty option payments, no paint protection warranty etc etc. and no risk to my credit rating (for future loans/home loans/credit card approval/mobile phone contract etc etc). Getting black listed on a credit rating is a really big reality and a big issue when you are on that list.

Reliability - Due to having fantastic engineering and quality at its current state they bring you home and not break down.

Spending a little bit on maintenance and restoration means they respond very well (the same parts/issues do not tend to break down multiple times).

Quality Parts - All electrics (parts and wiring) are bullet proof. Llittle to no gremlin issues after 2 decades! Electric motors are solid state metal gears and metal case (not the new style plastic case, thin wires instead of gears and plastic sheaths that wear out/break/jam). Rubbers and plastics are just unbelievable. They last and rarely fade, crack, warp or suffer like the other cars.

Quality Engineering - Extensive use of high tensile steel (to support the thin pillar design). Chassy responds to tuning and is highly praised by tuners due to the stiff monocoque design (ahead of many at the time).

Suspension - Double wish bone design (F1 and supercar in design offers superior geometry. It thereofre responds to performance tuning very well giving superior road feel/ confidence and overall safety and pleasure).

Steering - advanced design well weighted (advance in having variable power assist when 99% of cars at the time and even today do not).

Manual Transmission - Manual have great gears ratios, bullet proof synchros and near lifetime durability clutches.

Automatic Transmission - (not Auto tragic by any means) lasts nearly as long as the engines with no break down from my experience (hundreds of thousands not just a few thousand miles of travelling). Much more advanced than others as offered with dual mode (Sports mode - gives better confidence in wet by holding gears) when 99% of automatics at the time did not. Gear change behaviour is fantastic (not hunting on hills like many its contemporaries and newer cars). With "Grade Logic" programming (still used today and widely overlooked quality) gives automatics a predictable and practical gear selection. Note i say selection as the transmission is not the smoothest (but It doesnt mean its harsh either). I would rather have the cb's with its known durability lasting decades rather than a smoother one which does not or may not last as long.

Vision - CB's have great all round vision. 500% better than newer cars for reverse parking and lane changing. Reversing cameras on newer cars to me fills the safety and inconvenience of newer cars rather than improve on the CB's lack of one (you can install reversing cameras on CB's anyway making them better than the newer cars with them).

Engines - Do we need to mention them at all. They are so bullet proof that unmolested daily driven ones last decades. They have easily outlasted contemporary cars and many many newer models.

Economy - By and large consumption of fuel is in my opinion 90% a product of vehicle lifestyle dependancy , driving style and vehicle maintenance. Sure the CB is not as cheap as a hybrid but we are only talking about 4 cylinders only so generally easy to feed and run. If you must consider the higher cost of fuel consumption then I say consider the greater savings overall by suffering no depreciation, lower cost of insurance, no interest repayments and over all lower running costs (which fuel is only one of them).

Shape - It has a un offensive style that is endearing and widely appealing to many age groups and back ground.

Style - Its headlights are advanced compared to its contemporaries and in par with the much newer cars with parabolic headlight construction. Light is focused via the reflectors (deflection) rather than the lens (old style lens refraction). One of the earliest ones if not the only one of this era with these style headlights (contributing to making these cars look contemporary and hides their age really well).

Ride Quality - A restored and maintained CB7 still gives quiet and comfortable rides which still impresses passengers. Even good enough for kids and adults alike to fall asleep at the back on trips.
                Last edited by JDMDriver; 12-16-2012, 07:42 PM.
                Rides:

Accord
                92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

The ergonomics are great. I thought that was due to me being so familiar with it... but I've had more seat time in my Fit than I have in my CB7, and while the Fit comes close (still one of the best I've had in terms of interior layout), the CB7 is still superior.
                  I agree, but if you ever get to sit or drive a 3rd Gen prelude try it. The 3rd Gen Prelude has egonomics that is even better (seriously one of the best) in my opinion.

One of the reasons I fell for the car and still have it to this day.

Some are:

Cruise and Sunroof (moon roof) buttons are not obscured.

Hazards, defroster, cruise control and powered roof buttons are close to the steering wheel.

Door locks can be triggered with fore arm on hand rest (not sure how it is in US but in Australian models it must be triggered via the door locks not a switch requiring reaching back over the shoulder to open or close).

More angled radio and climate controls (better visuals).

Better all round visuals than a CB (when the CB is already outstanding) via even slimmer pillars (I have compared them as I have both vehicles). Approx 30 - 40 % thinner "A" pillars and "C" Pillars (as hard to believe it may seem). More extensive use of high quality high tensile steel/
                  Last edited by JDMDriver; 12-16-2012, 08:03 PM.
                  Rides:

Accord

CR-X
                  88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol

Prelude

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

The ergonomics are great. I thought that was due to me being so familiar with it... but I've had more seat time in my Fit than I have in my CB7, and while the Fit comes close (still one of the best I've had in terms of interior layout), the CB7 is still superior.
                    I agree, but if you ever get to sit or drive a 3rd Gen prelude try it. The 3rd Gen Prelude has egonomics that is even better (seriously one of the best) in my opinion.

Some are:

Cruise and Sunroof (moon roof) buttons are not obscured.

Hazards, defroster, cruise control and powered roof buttons are close to the steering wheel.

Door locks can be triggered with fore arm on hand rest (not sure how it is in US but in Australian models it must be triggered via the door locks not a switch requiring reaching back over the shoulder to open or close).

More angled radio and climate controls (better visuals).

3rd Gen Prelude even have better all around visuals (better than the already excellent CB). Pillars both "A" and "C" pillars are around 30% slimmer ( I have both cars and have compared them). Not mention the more acute driving position offered by the super low cowl and "Engine less design".

A real pleasure to drive (if you are not restricted to just one car and not overly focused on engine power).
                    Last edited by JDMDriver; 12-16-2012, 08:09 PM.
                    Rides:

Accord

CR-X
                    88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol

Prelude

Comment

I've never been in one... I'll have to give it a shot.

Comment

There's some great responses on this. Appreciated!

Comment

JDMDriver... I f*king HATE the autos in our cars. I went through two Accord transaxles and one Prelude in my CB. Even used Honda ATF. They can't take much abuse before everything starts slipping.

One very cool thing I like about CBs is the pneumatic rear engine mount in the autos (and I think all EXs?). Something, 20 years later, Porsche is now utilizing in their GT3 911s. Now that's being ahead of the game.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

You may have had a round if bad luck with the transmission but is it really the car or hondas fault? Is it unreasonable that it went?

To be fair you have to assess the vehicles history not just your history of the vehicle. ou may have used Honda Atf but have the owners before you did aswell?

Is the distance travelled reasonable for its failure? Is it factory fault or human error?

Example- plastic door handles have been breaking on these cars everywhere and at the same time. People can generalise that its a inherent defect as it happens to all cars no matter how good the maintenance was. Seriously though no consideration is given to the fact that it breaking at the same time was due to time (them being installed at around the same time) experiencing the same number of weather exposure, temp cycles etc. And that use of door latches are independent of how the rest of the car is maintained. No appreciation is also given to the fact that when they did break it was well over a decade of use or more.

Some just complain that they just replaced it with oem (from a jy that was used for also more than a decade) and broke in 2 months of installation. Then replaced again NEW (ignoring the fact its cheap ebay stuff) and cry it broke again only to curse the model and that honda makes crap cars and parts.

From my experience it would be either human error or just really old for oem to break early. A new part breaks early usually because its not oem or its quality is not on par to oem durability but expectations are because it looks the same feels the same and or was nearly the same price. All my Honda vehicles from Preludes, Accords Crxs are still on original transmissions both manuals and auto.

The cb was not known for breaking transmissions from factory, likely a product of the vehicles history.
                            Last edited by JDMDriver; 12-21-2012, 03:08 AM.
                            Rides:

Accord

CR-X
                            88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol

Prelude

Comment

my auto trans has over 337K on it and it is as healthy as a horse
                              visit vgruk

Comment

Could easily have been my fault. I did change the tranny oil with every other engine oil change. The two replacements were both supposedly low mileage, but obviously I don't know how they were treated beforehand. They also had to put up with 7300rpm and VTEC every now and then, which they weren't designed for.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                                X