06+ Civic Si vs RSX Type S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

06+ Civic Si vs RSX Type S?

I'm thinking of a future car with around a 10k budget and I finally narrowed it down to the Civic Si and RSX Type S because of reliability, gas mileage, and style but if there's anything else in the 10k price range please post it.

I like the styling of the 8th gen civic, so I chose around 2006 just because I only have about 10k to spend and any higher (like 2010) seems to be around 14k, and 2006 RSX Type S is attainable at the 10k price range + I don't want any older year car than 2006 already.

These two cars are basically neck and neck when comparing specs, but I've never test driven any of them, but I plan to. I'd like to find out what cb7tuner thinks is the better car and why. The Si has been picked more frequently on other forums because it has LSD, but does it make that big a difference? Thanks guys!

I own an 03 ep3 and I belong to a forum called clubep3 and from what I've read on there (because they are linked to clubrsx) is that the overall feel of the rsx s is kind of cheap. It also is said to ride rough. Never driven one, just posting what I've seen by people who own them.

My personal choice would be the si tho. No reason just my personal choice lol
    I wake up in the morning and piss excellence!

Comment

My friend has an 06 type s...I absolutely hate it. It's cheap feeling, ride isn't all that great, awkward seating, rather difficult to see out of, and it's just not asteticslly pleasing IMO.

The 8th gen Si gets my vote. I love that car, I've driven a couple. Amazing car. I'd personally go with that. Plus you can get a 4 door. It rides smooth, easy to see out of, very good to look at, overall comfort is better than the RSX, the seats feel amazing. It's not trying to be cheap luxury and sport car (RSX I'm looking at you). It's perfect blend of comfort and performance.

Comment

3G TL and 1G TSX are now coming into the $10k range...

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
        Originally posted by Jarrett
        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
          3G TL and 1G TSX are now coming into the $10k range...
          They are crazy heavy though. Different class of car

8th gen Civic is the best Civic chassis of all time easily. The 7th gen (which includes the RSX) had major suspension problems. They fixed all that with the 8th gen. Dont get thrown off with the struts. Porsches and BMWs have struts. They got it all figured out with the 8th gen. It's about the size n weight of a CB too but it feels more nimble. It's a no brainer if you can afford it.

Another idea is the 7th gen Accord coupe... only about 100 more lbs so its not as heavy as the TSX, and mild bolt ons on the K24A4 will net you TSX power. I think the only issue there is getting K pro is a PITA

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Are you only considering Honda? Evo VIIIs and STIs of the corresponding year can be found in that price range. Also an S2000 as well if he's only considering Honda/Acura.
            '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
            If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Used Evos and STis can be major trouble. People don't usually buy those cars to baby them, and AWD + turbo presents a lot of very expensive parts to break!

Personally, I'd take the Civic Si over the RSX-S hands down. To me, the RSX is a very girly looking car.
              I remember years ago when owequitit was looking to buy a newer car, those were two of his choices. When he took the RSX for a test drive, he said rear visibility was awful. To this day, I believe he's still quite happy with his Civic Si.

Comment

Civic Si

What about a non sti subaru?

The Legacy GT is a nice 2.5l awd option that most likely could be found for similar money and unmolested. Great chassis for moding and swapping if interested.

Bet insurance is cheaper too.
                Originally posted by wed3k
                im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Even at the $10,000 point, a used car can be problematic. The smaller the original cost of the car, and the simpler the car is, the better the chances will be of getting one that won't be a money pit.

I agree that a Legacy GT would very likely be less of a risk than an STi, or even a WRX... but it's still an AWD turbo vehicle that may or may not have been abused/neglected by a previous owner (or owners... a $10,000 Legacy GT could've been leased for 3 years, owned for 3 years, and then sold to you.)

The Civic Si is the simplest vehicle with the least expensive original purchase price. Anything comparably simple and sporty pales in comparison in terms of refinement and quality, from most reports, anyway... enthusiasts of the Sentra SE-R Spec V, SVT Focus, tC, or non-SC/turbo Cobalt SS might disagree. Those cars might be worth looking into as well, however. The Sentra or tC aren't terrible options (I'd shy away from the Focus, and the only Cobalt worth owning is the turbo one... but I'd avoid a used low-end GM turbo car for anything but a toy at this point.)

$10,000 is a decent amount to spend on a used car, but it's still going to get you one that is quite "used". Either it'll get you an older nice car with potentially high miles and plenty of time for abuse and neglect, or it'll get you a newer cheaper car that wasn't meant to last in the first place.
                  As I've told others in the past, I'd spend about 60-70% of your budget (assuming you have cash) on the car itself, and put the remaining money into replacing wear items. A fully refreshed $7,000 car is going to treat you better than a $10,000 car that's riding on 8 year old bushings, seals, shocks, etc... My advice is to ALWAYS save a chunk of your budget for repairs and restoration when buying a used car.

When I bought my CTS-V, I didn't take my own advice. I sought out a car at my maximum price, with all the features I wanted, in the color I wanted, with mileage I could tolerate. It had new tires, the problematic infotainment center had been replaced (still sucks), and the rock-chipped bumpers had been repainted. The condition was decent, but it was lacking in a few areas. The passenger side power seat doesn't move back and forth. The seat warmers don't work. The suspension has a few rattles and knocks. There are a few dings and scratches, and the hood has plenty of rock chips. One fog light takes on water. Headlights are foggy. Transmission mounts/bushings are worn, allowing for far more play than I'd like. And there's a leak on the left side of the windshield when I'm driving in the rain.
                  Minor things, most of it... but it adds up. Had I not spent my full budget on the car, I could've easily fixed most of those things. Since buying the car, I haven't been working quite as much. Less disposable income to spend fixing up the car. I can deal with the issues, as they're not major... but had I purchased my car for $3000 less than my target price, with that money set aside for the car, I could've fixed all but the paint.

Comment

In the car world they are basically the same car. In the honda world they are different. Hatch, vs coupe/sedan. LSD is a big deal. It could be helpful even in slippery conditions. I know someone who sold their rsx s because of snow drivability, my thoughts where learn to drive but still. I vote the civic, it has nice seats, LSD and less of that chick car feel. I also know someone who had the civic and both the rsx and civic owners had trouble with third gear grinding on occasion, not a huge deal but these where basically brand new cars at that time. I thought it was the driver so with like 40,000 miles on the odometer, I drove it and 7000 rpms into third sure enough grind. I was shocked my 350,000 mile cb grinds every gear unless I'm driving it, I thought I could shift the si properly. That being said I would still like to have a civic si.
                    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

40,000 miles with the original transmission fluid (or improper fluid after a change) can most certainly lead to a grind.

Honda transmissions are pretty sensitive to the correct fluid.

Comment

The rsx has a horrible suspension design that should be avoided. I don't like the styling of the 8th gen but mechanically it is a generation ahead of the rsx, so I think it is a better choice.
                        Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

thanks guys, i'm glad i asked here you guys really know your stuff . Seems like the Si is the easy pick, thanks for the information it'd be great to have even more opinions!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            40,000 miles with the original transmission fluid (or improper fluid after a change) can most certainly lead to a grind.

Honda transmissions are pretty sensitive to the correct fluid.
                            The 6 speed found in those cars has fairly common complaints about 3rd gear grind but you are correct about fluid changes, I would bet often changes with honda mtf would do the trick for most of those cases.
                            Last edited by cb7 calling; 02-24-2014, 01:30 PM.
                            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Between the two, get the Civic. Even with my base model, i.e. less sporty, RSX, the ride's kinda harsh, the seats suck for long driving (they're also kinda narrow for my fat friends!), annoying blind spots with the A- and C-pillars, and the suspension is loud over bumps. Bought mine for $7700 in October 2012, and it has so far been a model of reliability with just oil changes - it is a Honda, after all. Looks ten times cooler than a Civic in my eyes (at least with the Type-R wing, lol; gives it a less girly-Cavalier look... I do get a lot of looks in this thing), I love the look of the interior, the back seats are actually very useable, and the fact that they fold flat inside of a hatchback means I can haul a TON of crap in the back. All that said, I do wish I had spent more time shopping around. For a project car, I'd probably stick with the RSX because most of the issues can be fixed with the aftermarket, but for more of a daily driver/people hauler, get the Civic.

On an odd note, I love the hell out of the Civic's C-pillar and USDM rear end. Very nice lines back there.

I keep hearing about how horribly the RSX's suspension is designed, but no one ever explains why any of the aspects mentioned are so bad. Someone please enlighten me.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                              X