Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What is the best way to clean the engine bay from oil and oxidation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have any of you ever tried WD-40? I did it on one of my cars back in the day and it turned out amazing! You'd never believe you can clean that much with just a can of WD-40 and a toothbrush

Comment

how is yours turning out, famous? i've yet to try it but need to soon

Comment

Just remember to always cover up the Distribuitor, alternator, fuse box and don't get water inside the spark plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by kid View Post
          Just remember to always cover up the Distribuitor, alternator, fuse box and don't get water inside the spark plugs.
          Amen. The only thing i'd have to add is remove the battery and leave the car to dry in the sun for about an hour or two before starting it

Comment

Thank you guys for the great recommendations. I'm definitely going cover Belts, Altern, spark plugs most likely it will be cleaned this Sunday on my day off. I sure will post pictures of the before and after.

Comment

I just did mine las week after this long hard winter in Vermont. I used walmart brand foaming engine degreaser, and some purple power. Let it sit for about 5-7 minutes and used a high pressure wand to rinse it off. I always do this when engine is cold or been sitting for an hour or two. I also after its clean and dry , cover it in a non petroleum based foaming tire shine. Shut the hood and drive, the heat will disperse the product for an even look. The more you clean the engine bay, the better it gets.
              For the love of god, STOP putting H.I.D's in stock housings!!! Projectors ONLY!!!

Comment

Did you try this then FAMOUS_GODSON? I'm still waiting for before/after pics

Comment

Try the product orange crush through technicians choice. its a degreaser and engine bay cleaner used in detail shops. I used it like crazy when I detailed for a Toyota dealership. stuff works amazing. even better if you 50/50 mix it with purple power and let it sit for a few minutes. a couple "overlapping cleans" and scrubbing in any heavy debris areas will make it shine. and like 802cb7 stated using a non petroleum dressing after really will make the engine bay pop. blue sapphire is also a product through technicians choice that is a wonderful non petroleum dressing in my opinion. best of luck in the cleaning.

Comment

My personal opinion is to stay away from anything silicon or petroleum based. These are the cleaners that people use to make stuff shine without doing any work. It maintains that wet appearance...... that's because it is wet. It does not evaporate and collects every particle of dust that flows into your engine bay.

Any silicon or petroleum based dressing will end up being your worst nightmare if you want things to stay clean. Now, if you like the no work wet look and having to wash your car every weekend.... go for it!
                    MR Thread
                    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by evalex View Post
                      Did you try this then FAMOUS_GODSON? I'm still waiting for before/after pics
                      Hey whats up guys, sorry it took me a long time to post them pics. Been working too much but I finally cleaned my engine bay. I did as you guys recommended. Went and bought Purple power and Simple green. As you can see its a big difference.

BEFORE

BEFORE

AFTER

I only covered alternator and belts. Sprayed purple power all over, then scrub with a cleaning brush and water. Then I repeated the same step with the simple green.

[I think purple power is a little bit stronger than simple green try not to get near when you're spraying, I almost choked twice feels likes pepper spray]

After all that I just used a regular water hose to water the engine bay.Then i used a leaf blower to dry. Once dry, I sprayed it with armor all tire shine or something like that. Then I let it sit for 12 hours to be sure it was completely dry.

My next step is to use a wire brush on the metal then paint everything that stays rusted or oxidized, but it does look way better than before...

Comment

One of the easiest things to do to improve the look is to remove the exhaust heat shield, wire brush it, then use VHT (1200-2000 deg F) primer and paint in your choice of color. Cure is according to the instructions.
                        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 10-11-2015, 09:40 PM.
                        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Looks so much better, good job

Comment

Nice job, still I find this funny that you've covered timing belt, but not your distributor
                            Anyway nice result, how long did it take to clean it?

Comment

Working...
                            X