Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Is this an easy touch up job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this an easy touch up job?

Would I be able to just buy color coded paint and paint over it (prime, grit paper?), or would I have to get it done professionally? I guess the car got rear ended and we were too cheap to get a touch up so he just painted over it with any random white paint

Touch up paint is always going to be visible. I know Duplicolor makes a frost white aerosol spray that people have used for bumper resprays but I don't know how much flex agent is in those cans. That would be what makes or breaks the viability.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Honestly, I would respray them. For less than $100 you can do both yourself.

You'll want to sand them down to remove the blemishes, and use adhesion promoter, a flex agent, primer, paint and clearcoat.

This was all done just with spraypaint.

Here's an example of taking my black DX bumper and spraying it Frost White.

Comment

I forget it I uploaded photos on my MRT when I did my bumpers and mirrors a few weeks ago. I'd tape off the lights and get an aerosol can of paint mixed up, along with the adhesive promoter and the clear-coat to finish it up. Spray around the areas and it should look pretty good. I fixed some rough parts like that and it looks pretty good, probably 9/9.5 out of 10 IMO.

I didn't have to take off the bumpers. It's up to you how much time you want to spend on it, but Mike's way will look better

Comment

Sounds good guys, I checked out how you did your mirrors @Scolirk, & I have to say, they look great!

Would a can of duplicolor frost white do fine, or should I purchase a can from http://www.automotivetouchup.com/? Also, do I use 1000 or 800 grit sandpaper?

Comment

Originally posted by JFrost7 View Post
            Sounds good guys, I checked out how you did your mirrors @Scolirk, & I have to say, they look great!

Would a can of duplicolor frost white do fine, or should I purchase a can from http://www.automotivetouchup.com/? Also, do I use 1000 or 800 grit sandpaper?
            I thought that too, but you really do need to get the exact paint code. I'd try to find a store in your area that does paint because they'll be able to match the colour with the factory it was made to give you the exact shade of white.

I'm not sure if they have Sherwin-Williams out where you are, but they mix car paint in my area. I ended up going to a pool supply store to get the paint done.

Comment

Duplicolor makes Frost White in the "Perfect Match" cans and touch up bottles. You'll probably find it at most automotive parts stores that sell paint.

I get mine at Canadian Tire.

That's what I used to paint the bumper pictured above.

Comment

From looking at your pic, it looks like your front bumper, may just have scuff marks on it. If so, those will buff with rubbing compound (wax afterwards). Unless, if it has some other scratches, then you may want to respray it. Looks like the back will need to be sprayed. Keep us posted on how it turns out!

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178069

Comment

Working...
                X