No announcement yet.

INT : DIY plastic polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How was this done without sanding off the white letters?

Originally posted by TypeG View Post

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2620526 190E Mercedes Benz
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3065882 Accord Under major Repairs

Comment

Originally posted by Chirs190E16v View Post
      no need to sand it. Polishing a lot is the key :P

1992 Accord EX-R Coupe [Mat Black] Sold
      1992 Accord EX-R Coupe [Rosewood]

Comment

Originally posted by AeyJayCB7 View Post
        Now I know what to do tomorrow on my spare time. Also what other plastic polishing have you done?
        pretty much everything you can do is pictured in the first page.
        Originally posted by Chirs190E16v View Post
        the buttons are clear, but painted. clear plastic, then, white paint, then a top layer of black. so basically i would just have to worry about rubbing through the black to the white. later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Hope this doesn't bother anyone by bringing up a potentially old thread...but I have a simple question.

Would I be able to achieve the same results with a different plastic polish? This is the only polish available in either Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...leaner-polish/

Thanks and I hope this didn't bother anybody

1993 Honda Accord EX

Comment

You should be able to.

I used the specified grit sand paper, Mother's Mag+aluminum polish, and KIT scratch out.

These are my results I only polished once with each compound.

A little side by side comparison.

Comment

What tools do you guys use to polish? I got a cordless rotary and cordless drill.
              I want to polish my tail lights too but do I need to remove them? Is there some thing I could get to coat after polishing so I don't have to do it again from the weather attack?
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                What tools do you guys use to polish? I got a cordless rotary and cordless drill.
                I want to polish my tail lights too but do I need to remove them? Is there some thing I could get to coat after polishing so I don't have to do it again from the weather attack?
                Thanks.
                When I polished my tail lights, I just applied the polish to a clean microfiber towel and then polished them. You don't need to remove the tail lights, I just masked off the paint around it so I won't damage it.

1993 Honda Accord EX

Comment

I love this DIY. My JDM headlights have pits, and scratches in them. Does anyone know what gritt I should use? Keep in mind the pitt are deep. has anyone done this yet? I am nervous to do this.

Comment

can i use the plastic polish on my fogs to shine them up?
                    visit vgruk

Comment

That exactly what u wanna use. Maybe a 2000 grit sand first. That took out all the rock chips and made them really smooth and shiny. U can do the inside too. Makes them more clear.

I can't say for headlights. I used 220 then went higher to 2000 when I did my fogs
                      Last edited by STREET-SPEC; 01-19-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Is it that much work? I spent 2 hours with the mag polish then another hour with plastix on 1 ac knob. When I started, after just a quick rub with mag polish, they were black, but not jewel like. Held to a light and you could see the grain. Could I cut with sand paper to save some time

Comment

So I don't have the mothers plastic polish or so it says on the bottle but there is a mother's headlight polish is that the same kit? It comes with the drill attachments etc.

Comment

Can this be used to polish scratched cd's? I didn't see anything about that.

Comment

Originally posted by H3ad tr9p View Post
                              So I don't have the mothers plastic polish or so it says on the bottle but there is a mother's headlight polish is that the same kit? It comes with the drill attachments etc.
                              That should be no problem to use. Just try/practice on some unused plastic or unseen area first before u work on the actual part.
                              -My Member Ride thread-
                              -JL store-

Comment

Working...
                              X