Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Painting car parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting car parts

I decided to do some touch up painting on my 92 coup and to paint a new front bumper myself. I went to my local auto paint store and purchased a batch of Seattle Silver paint (ironic since I live in Seattle) hardener, bumper primer, and clear coat. I used to do construction so I have an air compressor but I had to buy a spray gun too. It came out ok. Then I was introduced to Duplicolor at my auto parts store. Ounce for ounce its cheaper and easier than having it professionally made to order, and the hardener is already mixed in. The paint comes out in a nice fan pattern just like a spray gun, just be careful to stop using a can before it gets to low on paint and starts to spatter. I'm not sure why but the painting I did with Duplicolor came out much better than the professionally made paint and it also matched better. My biggest piece of advice is to take your time. The only time i had a run was when I was being inpatient and rushing it. Also, the more coats of clear, the better. I don't think I would attempt to paint an entire car with cans of Duplicolor, I suppose it could be done but you would need a lot of cans, probably a few cases. I know it seems like a huge cost to have a shop do it, but for a bumper or a corner panel I would use Duplicolor. If you've never attempted to do any painting on a car practice on something else first. I hope this helps somebody somewhere save some time and money.

Welcome to the site. Pictures are a thread's best friend! www.automotivetouchup.com is another good source for larger cans of touch up paint.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I have had good success with trim pieces, but never a whole panel. I am curious as to how long it will last. I need to do the sunroof panel on my current car and since not much else needs to be painted soon, spending the money on the spray gun and paint is hard to justify.
      Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Whate fleetwood said. They are excellent and the color is a lot closer than duplicolor.

I would use the spraymax 2k clear. I used the 1k clear on my hood and it is too soft. Rain on the car leaves marks in the paint.

And you can wetsand and buff the runs out.

steve

Comment

I'm about to paint my front fender and a spoiler I found at a JY. Good info to have!

Comment

Working...
          X