Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How I replaced my clutch and flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I replaced my clutch and flywheel

Hey everybody my clutch started slipping a little while ago, so I decided to replace it and the flywheel too while I was down there, I did not replace the rear main oil seal because I don't have I right tools. I found a couple of DIY's on here on how to do this { http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=83702 } and { http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=148387 } but there are no pictures. So I took some picture while I did it, but since this is my daily driver sometimes forgot the pictures in favor of getting back on the road quicker. This means that this is an incomplete DIY under no circumstances should you rely on this as your sole reference read those other threads and go buy a haynes or helms.

Notes: This was performed on a 1993 Accord EX with a F22A6 and a manual transmission all stock, with 248K miles on it
    First step to this job is to buy a manual and study it until your eyes bleed.
    Once you can see again you can start by jacking the front of car up as high as you can get it and support it on jack stands, after you chalk the back wheels or experience the world from 2 dimensions. Take both front wheels off. Next remove every thing on the top side of the trans. such as the air filter box, battery, battery holder, there is a radiator hose in there too I ended up disconnecting it but you might be able to just pull it out of its holder/standoff and leave it connected to the cooling sys. and also remove the splash guard from underneath the car. all of this is just prep work and can rally be done in almost any order.

Next up is to get the transmission off the car, which is the hard part of doing the clutch.
    Start by draining the transmission fuild from out of the tranny

Then remove the starter motor and grounding wire

Then there is a sensor of some sort with some power steering lines going to it, it is way in the back of the tranny in the dark spot where my finger is pointing. There is'nt really a clear line of sight to it i just had to find it by feel, its held down by one 10mm bolt its kinda of snug to pull out but when you pull it out there is a shaft with a gear that sticks in to the casing on the trans. My hayne's said it was unnecessary to disconnect the power steering lines from it.

Now take off the center cross beam and get the exhaust out of the way

I took off the entire exhaust cause mine rusted into a one piece unit, if you drop the forward cross member(the one that the radius rods are attached to) down an inch or two you will have more room to slide the down pipe out.
    Now its time to disconnect the axels from the tranny. to do this it is not necessary to break the axel nuts loose. All I did was disconnect the lower ball joints on each wheel then you can swing the whole steering knuckle out while the axel slides out of the tranny or half shaft depending on which side you are on, you are going to need to disconnect both axels. Then take off the half shaft by removing the 3 bolts on the bracket near wear the driver side axel connected to it then slide it out of the differential.

Now take off the fly wheel inspection cover

Now disconnect the shifter cables and the cable holder

and all clutch line going from top of the tranny kinda under the distributor to the clutch release piston and all the electrical wires you can find and the clutch release piston.
    Now remove all the suspension parts that are in the way of the transmission on the passenger side which would be the radius rod the damper fork and the shock/spring.
    Next up is to remove the transmission mount(engine mount on the passenger side), now would be a good time to support the engine either with an engine hoist or a jack with a block of wood underneath and the transmission with a transmission jack.
    Now that everything is out of the way start removing the transmission to engine bolts there are 3 on the top side 4 on the bottom and one through the rear engine mount(keep track of these bolts they are all different sizes and need to be put back in the same places). Once you double check to see that every thing is disconnected from the tranny, you can pull the tranny away from the motor. Now the clearance when you take it off is really tight so in order to get the tranny off i lower the engine a little bit while leaving the driver side engine mounts connected(I didn't know which bolt on the rear mount was the tranny so i ended up removing all of them) so that the whole engine/tranny combo tilts down towards the passenger side to get more room to pull it off. Once the input shaft on the trans is clear of the clutch drop the whole thing out through the bottom of the car, when i did this i found that the forward cross member got in the way so i ended up removing that too which required the removal of the driver side radius rod the forward engine mount and brake booster i think it was but that didn't need complete removal leave the lines connected.
    Now that the transmission is out you can see the clutch. Looking at the preesure plate there is and extra hole on one of the flanges

make a note of the alignment of this extra hole to the flywheel and the flywheel alignment pin i pointed out the alignment pin hole and the dirt that got through that hole

[IMGhttp://lh3.ggpht.com/_C-cIZq7B5iE/TUdI-0qUlPI/AAAAAAAAAHc/vcPBXIrrZKg/s640/1220101405b.jpg[/IMG]

To keep the flywheel from turning while i removed the bolts on the flywheel and pressure plate i just stuck a wrench on the other end of the crank shaft on the driver side.
    If you have the tools now would be a prime time to change the rear main oil seal.
    Now just put the flywheel on with thread-lock on the bolts and use a clutch alignment tool the should come with the clutch kit and follow the directions that came with the kit be sure to check the alignment of that extra hole on the flange of the pressure plate and it should look like this

While the transmission is out you will have tons of room in the engine bay to have a look around and look for other things to fix, And now just do every thing in reverse and fill up the transmission fluid. and you should be ready to go. Sorry if i left out a couple of steps I did this job a few weeks ago and forgot some of what i did. This is a really big job that took me weeks to do because i only got an hour of work in at time between work and school and what not.
    Last edited by menotyou48; 02-02-2011, 05:58 PM.

Thanks for the upload. I'll use this as a reference as soon as I get my cb7 back up the hill I have for a driveway and into my garage. I'm ready to start now, but can't seem to find anyone willing to use their truck to push my car up a hill. Would have my neighbor do it if he hadn't left for the week. Oh well, I'm subbing this thread as a cross reference.

The Blue Bomber

Comment

Originally posted by menotyou48 View Post
      I did not replace the rear main oil seal because I don't have I right tools.
      If you've got a socket set, you can replace the rear main seal. If can be purchased from Honda (for extra $) already installed in the plate that bolts to the end of the block. ALWAYS a good idea to replace this seal if you've got the tranny off.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

yeah i know i should have done the rear main seal too but i didn't see any serious leaks near there, so I just put a little grease on it to try and help. And I was excited about finally getting to a point that i could put my shiny new parts on. Seriously read those other two treads I linked to they actually go through all the steps, I just thought some photos might be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by menotyou48 View Post
          yeah i know i should have done the rear main seal too but i didn't see any serious leaks near there, so I just put a little grease on it to try and help. And I was excited about finally getting to a point that i could put my shiny new parts on. Seriously read those other two treads I linked to they actually go through all the steps, I just thought some photos might be helpful.
          nice... those pics grew since yesterday.

The Blue Bomber

Comment

Working...
          X