Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

transmission fluid and cv axle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission fluid and cv axle question

I SEARCHED and found information on the subject, but I have 2 specific questions.
    1) is there supposed to be any gap between the passenger side cv axle and the transmission? (It looks like I have a gap that's no more than an inch. I have transmission fluid all over the side of the transmission housing and on top.)
    2) Is there a gasket around the transmission housing that could also be leaking?

My CB7 is my daily driver and I know it has its issues, but I can't afford to fix it and my civic at the same time. The cv axle will be a quick fix if it will stop the leaking. Thanks ya'll!

Newest addition to the family...

Originally posted by s.green View Post
    I SEARCHED and found information on the subject, but I have 2 specific questions.
    1) is there supposed to be any gap between the passenger side cv axle and the transmission? (It looks like I have a gap that's no more than an inch. I have transmission fluid all over the side of the transmission housing and on top.)
    2) Is there a gasket around the transmission housing that could also be leaking?

My CB7 is my daily driver and I know it has its issues, but I can't afford to fix it and my civic at the same time. The cv axle will be a quick fix if it will stop the leaking. Thanks ya'll!
    There should be no gap. If there is, it isn't seated properly.

I've been told that no axle in there will cause the seal to leak. Whether it's true or not I have no idea. If you take a picture of where you think it's coming from we might have a better idea.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

This issue sounds very similar to mine, which I've described and am currently diagnosing in this thread: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=191656 -- with pictures!

I have less than a 1/4" gap between the fat end of the shaft housing and the transmission case/seal.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
        There should be no gap. If there is, it isn't seated properly.

I've been told that no axle in there will cause the seal to leak. Whether it's true or not I have no idea. If you take a picture of where you think it's coming from we might have a better idea.
        As you can see, there is tranny fluid everywhere. I'm not sure if I got a good enough picture of the axle, but I hope you can see the gap. I should also add that there is fresh fluid on the upper area of the tranny as well; close to where the VSS is and where it mates to the engine.
        Last edited by s.green; 06-25-2012, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
          This issue sounds very similar to mine, which I've described and am currently diagnosing in this thread: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=191656 -- with pictures!

I have less than a 1/4" gap between the fat end of the shaft housing and the transmission case/seal.
          I was just reading your thread, I hope we can figure this out! I don't want a blown transmission!!I have been having problems with the gears not engaging and random rpms(when shifting the rpms jump up, not down) and surges while driving. I guess this could be part of the problem

Comment

I was just reading your thread, I hope we can figure this out! I don't want a blown transmission!!I have been having problems with the gears not engaging and random rpms(when shifting the rpms jump up, not down) and surges while driving. I guess this could be part of the problem
            I'm with you, I hope we can figure it out as well. I don't think the surging and RPM issues are related to the transmission, honestly. The gears not engaging could be due to worn synchros, mal-adjusted shift and select cables, bent forks inside the transmission, many things. Let's focus on the leaking transmission first though.

I don't think your output shaft is leaking. I could of course be wrong, but I think you would have much more fluid on your axle; yours looks to have none; mine is very wet with oil. The shift and select mechanisms both have seals, and they're on the top of the case. It's possible those are bad and that is causing oil to leak all down the side of the case? However, those are very much higher than the normal sitting level of oil in the case; I don't know if the oil gets pumped about or splashed around enough to cause that much leakage as seen in your photo. Finally, the gasket that seals the transmission case to the clutch case (those are Honda's terms. the gasket between the bell housing and the other half that attaches to the engine) is a formed seal; I used RTV black when I rebuilt my transmission. It's possible that has a leak as well, and is causing oil to run down bell housing as shown in your photo. The input shaft also has a seal, but that would be seen as oil leaking between the engine and the transmission, by the flywheel and clutch.

The vehicle speed sensor also has a seal I believe; it's possible that is leaking.

Finally, are you sure it's transmission oil that is leaking onto the case? It could be oil from the engine, power steering fluid from the VSS, or even coolant from one of the hoses over top of the transmission. I would clean up the mess on there now, give it a drive and see if you can spot where it's leaking from; that will help narrow down the problem tremendously.

Comment

I'm with you, I hope we can figure it out as well. I don't think the surging and RPM issues are related to the transmission, honestly. The gears not engaging could be due to worn synchros, mal-adjusted shift and select cables, bent forks inside the transmission, many things. Let's focus on the leaking transmission first though.

I don't think your output shaft is leaking. I could of course be wrong, but I think you would have much more fluid on your axle; yours looks to have none; mine is very wet with oil. The shift and select mechanisms both have seals, and they're on the top of the case. It's possible those are bad and that is causing oil to leak all down the side of the case? However, those are very much higher than the normal sitting level of oil in the case; I don't know if the oil gets pumped about or splashed around enough to cause that much leakage as seen in your photo. Finally, the gasket that seals the transmission case to the clutch case (those are Honda's terms. the gasket between the bell housing and the other half that attaches to the engine) is a formed seal; I used RTV black when I rebuilt my transmission. It's possible that has a leak as well, and is causing oil to run down bell housing as shown in your photo. The input shaft also has a seal, but that would be seen as oil leaking between the engine and the transmission, by the flywheel and clutch.

The vehicle speed sensor also has a seal I believe; it's possible that is leaking.

Finally, are you sure it's transmission oil that is leaking onto the case? It could be oil from the engine, power steering fluid from the VSS, or even coolant from one of the hoses over top of the transmission. I would clean up the mess on there now, give it a drive and see if you can spot where it's leaking from; that will help narrow down the problem tremendously.
              Unless oil has a reddish tinge to it nowadays, I 'm pretty positive it's tranny fluid. We're going to take the VSS off tonight because it needs replaced anyway. The leaks that I am aware of are: cam seal leak, oil pan gasket leak, and one of the o rings on the valve gasket is leaking again.

I didn't know that powersteering fluid ran to the vss....(i just thought the little needle in there spun around) I guess the cheapest thing right now would be to clean up like you suggested and look around.

Comment

Unless oil has a reddish tinge to it nowadays, I 'm pretty positive it's tranny fluid. We're going to take the VSS off tonight because it needs replaced anyway. The leaks that I am aware of are: cam seal leak, oil pan gasket leak, and one of the o rings on the valve gasket is leaking again.

I didn't know that powersteering fluid ran to the vss....(i just thought the little needle in there spun around) I guess the cheapest thing right now would be to clean up like you suggested and look around.
                From the photos it looks like your transmission is a manual transmission; I was basing my reply off of that assumption.

The only transmission fluid that I know of that is red is automatic transmission fluid. I've used GM Synchromesh, and 10W30 in my transmission; both are light shades of the caramel color. I've never seen Honda ATF or MTF, so I don't know the colors. That said, power steering fluid is usually red...

Comment

From the photos it looks like your transmission is a manual transmission; I was basing my reply off of that assumption.

The only transmission fluid that I know of that is red is automatic transmission fluid. I've used GM Synchromesh, and 10W30 in my transmission; both are light shades of the caramel color. I've never seen Honda ATF or MTF, so I don't know the colors. That said, power steering fluid is usually red...
                  I've only seen automatic tranny fluid too. I guess maybe I'm assuming all tranny fluid is red. My power steering fluid is clear-ish and all the PS fluid I've seen before is clear. If it is oil, why would it have a reddish tint to it?

Comment

What did your Honda mechanic/guy/guru say? Were you able to have him take a look yet?

Comment

Run your hand under the dizzy just to make sure that's not dropping oil on everything.

Comment

What did your Honda mechanic/guy/guru say? Were you able to have him take a look yet?
                        no, haven't gotten to him yet! I had to get tires for the civic and haven't had a chance to get the CB7 to a shop. I'll be looking at her this weekend to see what's up.

Comment

Working...
                        X