Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Few questions about ECU, injectors, resistor pack and the MAP sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few questions about ECU, injectors, resistor pack and the MAP sensor

I have a few questions I need answering before I can continue my extreme wire-tuck.

ECU:

Earlier, I asked about getting a programable ECU. I'm considering a few options, depending on whether or not I can turn off EGR in my stock PT5 ECU. I removed EGR all together and I obviously don't want the CEL the whole time.

Q: Is it possible to remove EGR from a chipped stock PT5 ECU? This thread says "Stock ECU's can only do so much after mods have been added", does this include removing EGR?

If I can't remove EGR from my chipped stock PT5 ECU, I'm considering getting either a P06 or P75 ECU because they don't have V-TEC and require a 4-wire oxygen sensor, as my F20A4 doesn't have V-TEC and has a 4-wire oxygen sensor.

Injectors and resistor pack:

Q: Is a P06 or P75 ECU compatible with the stock resistor pack and low impendence injectors? Or do the resistor pack and injectors need to be replaced and removing when replacing my stock PT5 with a chipped P06/P75 ECU?

Q: Quite ignorant, I know, but how do I access the ECU via Chrome/Hondata? The ECU's don't have USB ports?

MAP sensor:

I currently have a MAP sensor like this (one bolt hole), however, I want a MAP sensor like this because I will be moving it from my emission control box to my intake manifold somewhere.

Q: Can I just buy any MAP sensor that has three pins and two holes or is that not how it works? Can someone advise me MAP sensor compatible with a PT5 and/or P06/P75 ECU with two bolt holes?

The PT5 is not a chippable ECU. A couple of different members attempted to long ago, but neither of them finished. They moved on to bigger and better things. If you want to turn off the EGR light, you will need to go to a chipped P06/P28/P75, or similar ECU, as you suggested.

Yes, the OBD0/OBD1 Honda Civics that came with the ECUs listed above also came with "peak and hold" or low-impedance injectors, same as the CB Accord. Any of those ECUs will be compatible with the OEM injector resistor box in your car, should you choose to keep it.

There are many levels to "chipping" an ECU. IT's one of those things that falls into the "you get what you pay for" metric. There are write-once chips that can be installed into the ECU via a socket that replaces the previous IC chip on-board. These are almost never used in 2018. Then you have rewrite-able chips that also go into those same sockets. This allows you to have your chip "reburned" or retuned when you've done mods that exceed what the previous tune allowed. In addition to that, there are USB connectors that plug into an existing 4-pin header on the board which you would have to cut access for in the side of the ECU frame. This allows on-the-fly tuning and datalogging for those programs and hardware that are capable of it. Outside of those methods is a system like Hondata uses. They have a separate daughterboard that installed in place of the original IC chip. This allows for the expansion of many more inputs and outputs, including Bluetooth connectivity, and just increases the processing capabilities of the ECU overall. In terms of modified OBD1 Honda ECUs, this is the only one I have experience with. It's expensive, at around $650 USD including the ECU, but WELL worth it.

What throttle body are you wanting to use? If you plan to run a dual-runner manifold on your F20A5, you can use the later throttle body from those manifolds which mount it on top of the TB itself. A 4" wire extension would be needed to get it from the plug inside the black box to the new location on top of the throttle body, but it sounds like that was in your plans to do, anyway. Similar to this manifold below.

My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      The PT5 is not a chippable ECU. A couple of different members attempted to long ago, but neither of them finished. They moved on to bigger and better things. If you want to turn off the EGR light, you will need to go to a chipped P06/P28/P75, or similar ECU, as you suggested.
      That's odd, that thread really made it seem like he chipped his stock ECU.

Oh well, look like I'll have to get a different ECU either way. No biggy.

Yes, the OBD0/OBD1 Honda Civics that came with the ECUs listed above also came with "peak and hold" or low-impedance injectors, same as the CB Accord. Any of those ECUs will be compatible with the OEM injector resistor box in your car, should you choose to keep it.
      Good. I think I'll just go with the option of removing the resistor and replacing the injectors.

What throttle body are you wanting to use? If you plan to run a dual-runner manifold on your F20A5, you can use the later throttle body from those manifolds which mount it on top of the TB itself. A 4" wire extension would be needed to get it from the plug inside the black box to the new location on top of the throttle body, but it sounds like that was in your plans to do, anyway. Similar to this manifold below.
      The plan is to use the stock intake manifold and throttle valve. I'd like to choose a spot thick enough where I can drill and thread holes in the manifold but not completely through, I don't want any leaks. I want the MAP measurement holen directly in the manifold. Do you think that will work?

Comment

Working...
      X