Can abs wheel sensors be cleaned or fixed and reinstalled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can abs wheel sensors be cleaned or fixed and reinstalled

Rear wheel speed sensors seem to be expensive even for aftermarket as oem is discontinued. Can these be cleaned or fixed. I got code 48 for rear left speed sensor and am wondering what is the common problem with those and can it be repaired and reinstalled?

Usually no. Speed sensors use magnetic fields. Dirt doesn’t effect magnets. Think of them kinda like a crank sensor, same idea.

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
      Rear wheel speed sensors seem to be expensive even for aftermarket as oem is discontinued. Can these be cleaned or fixed. I got code 48 for rear left speed sensor and am wondering what is the common problem with those and can it be repaired and reinstalled?
      yes, they get loaded up with brake dust and rotor particles, youll see the schmoo move, give them a blast of cleaner wipe em down. scuff off any surface rust on the probe tip. thats about all you can do to them. sometimes an accumulation of ferric dust on it will mess up t he reading of the tone ring..sometimes. you can clean that too. if the grooves are full of shit the computer wont get a nice segmented signal from it.

Comment

That makes sense. Metal does effect them so I guess clean it and see. My mistake!

Comment

I reset me computer and i get code immediately after starting car. So my thought is that the link is broken somehow. Wouldn't broken teeth on it show up only when car moves?

Comment

I reset me computer and i get code immediately after starting car. So my thought is that the link is broken somehow. Wouldn't broken teeth on it show up only when car moves?
            yeah. the factory service manual has resistance measurements for go -no go on the individual sensors. sounds like its toast or the connection is broke.

Ive got a complete 93 SE rear end sitting next to me in the basement. the car itll go into doesnt have ABS. youve got over 30 posts hit me up if you need to.
            Last edited by illinois_erik; 12-19-2018, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
              yes, they get loaded up with brake dust and rotor particles, youll see the schmoo move, give them a blast of cleaner wipe em down. scuff off any surface rust on the probe tip. thats about all you can do to them. sometimes an accumulation of ferric dust on it will mess up t he reading of the tone ring..sometimes. you can clean that too. if the grooves are full of shit the computer wont get a nice segmented signal from it.
              Do i have to take it out and then apart to clean it?

The first step i should do am sort of guessing is unplug it and test for resistance. IS that correct?

Comment

Do i have to take it out and then apart to clean it?

The first step i should do am sort of guessing is unplug it and test for resistance. IS that correct?
                There a just a few screws holding it to the rear knuckle; just take it loose enough to clean it.

Yes, just unplug it to check resistance.

I have the same code, but it doesn't come on until I start driving. I thought I cleaned it when I changed the rear caliper.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I reset my computer and today no abs light. Drove it for about 5 miles. That seems maybe just cleaning will work.

Comment

Working...
                  X