Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lesson learned dealing with rusty cat bolts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesson learned dealing with rusty cat bolts!

So for the last 2 days (I can only spend like 3 hours a day down here and then I have to go back home) I have been attempting to get the headpipe disconnected from the cat. The car is on wood blocks.

I have tried pb blaster'ing and wrenching by hand, which didn't work. I tried to do some sort of breaker bar solution, but that won't work because the car's not high enough off of the ground. I tried using a torch, which didn't get them hot enough to do any good. Finally, I tried just drilling the bolt off. I have been working at this for hours, trying to avoid having to buy some sort of cutting tool or impact wrench (no compressed air source).

So basically, I just wanna put a warning out there to anyone who attempts to do what I'm doing here. If you don't have your car up in the air, you won't be able to use a breaker bar. Also, the clearance is just NOT enough to get both hands in a position that you can really wrench on anything.

The only solution is an AIR-powered impact wrench or to just cut the f**king bolts off. Oh, and to have an extra set of hands to help you hold the pipes so you don't break something while you're doing it.

I guess my last part of this post would be a question: is there anyone in the Detroit area with access to an air compressor / impact gun or a cutting tool capable of removing these bolts? I'm poor at the moment and would like to get these damn bolts off.

I never had any of these problems.
    wat?

Comment

i have these same exact problems EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

the solution that i have learned:

the downpipe usually separates from the top half of the header pretty easily. i remove those 3 bolts, pop off all of the rubber hangers, and pull the ENTIRE exhaust out from under the car, and lay it across my driveway.

that gives you a TON more room to work - breaker bar, whatever - except the bolts are usually still rusted enough that standard removal methods wouldnt work.

i use a broken bolt/nut extractor to literally tear the nuts off. or if im having a hard time getting that to catch, i use a hacksaw to cut a little more than halfway through the nut/stud (without damaging the flange) and then use a hammer/chisel to knock the rest of the nut off. thatll at least allow you to separate the exhaust pipes from each other... then you can smack the remainders of the studs out of the cat, and swap some Stainless Steel bolts/nuts in their place...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post

the downpipe usually separates from the top half of the header pretty easily. i remove those 3 bolts, pop off all of the rubber hangers, and pull the ENTIRE exhaust out from under the car, and lay it across my driveway.

that gives you a TON more room to work - breaker bar, whatever - except the bolts are usually still rusted enough that standard removal methods wouldnt work.

i use a broken bolt/nut extractor to literally tear the nuts off. or if im having a hard time getting that to catch, i use a hacksaw to cut a little more than halfway through the nut/stud (without damaging the flange) and then use a hammer/chisel to knock the rest of the nut off. thatll at least allow you to separate the exhaust pipes from each other... then you can smack the remainders of the studs out of the cat, and swap some Stainless Steel bolts/nuts in their place...
        Taking the whole exhaust off...that's actually an interesting idea! Yeah I had gotten the mani and headpipe bolts off no problem. Then I got to the cat and I was like.....what the EFF?!?! It is absolutely mired in rust! anyway, thanks for the input! I'll probably try it Sunday when I go back.

Comment

A rachet and a mapp gas torch will get it, it works on other stuff should here too. Sometimes a BFH (big fuckin hammer) works as well. Soon or later it will give up. You have to be creative on how you do things and what will work best.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
          "The Turtle"
          DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

heat, impact, with impact bolt extractor sockets

Comment

Yeah the impact can be your best friend when it comes to rusty bolts, then it can go total bitch on you and break it. Have fun there.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
              "The Turtle"
              DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post

lol thats how I do it too

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

We used impact for 3 seconds and they gave loose
                  Your man for wiring solutions!
                  CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
                  CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Man View Post
                    We used impact for 3 seconds and they gave loose
                    You live in CA

Comment

yea, we use impact for 1 second and its already broken off.

Comment

like dude said before drop the exhaust its ezier to work it on the floor trust me when i did my i dared not to try to install my catback on the ground for the sake of my knuckles.
                        Summer 11' Big plans (Bodywork/paint/rims etc..) in Progress STAY TUNED

CLICK THE PIC

Comment

Originally posted by GearBangnAccord View Post
                          like dude said before drop the exhaust its ezier to work it on the floor trust me when i did my i dared not to try to install my catback on the ground for the sake of my knuckles.
                          *Looks down at knuckles*

......damn.

Comment

put a ratchet on there and push it with your foot thats how i did mine.. but the top one is bitch if the bolts are all rusty.....

man that day pissed me off bad broke a finger in my door and just everything was making me mad so i grabed my angle grinder and off came
                            the cat..

dude 14/15 bucks for a saw zaw or a angle grinder at a cheap tool store

Comment

one thing ive learned from working on my old jeep, bolts are cheaper than your precious time.

FTMFW

Comment

Working...
                              X