No announcement yet.

apalileo : 1993 Accord DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more I look at this car, the less I like the mirrors. Everything else just seems top-notch.

You pay attention to the areas of your car that need just a little work and you address them. To use a "sum of all its parts" analogy, you're correcting even the small things like paint imperfections behind the license plate. While in and of itself it may not be a large issue, it contributes to the overall state of imperfection. By tackling these small issues, the whole car begins to step closer and closer to that "perfect" ideal. While achieving that with a 22 year-old car may not be realistic, you're still doing an awfully fine job with few resources spent. Keep up the great work!
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

@Jarrett Thank you! I'm just doing my best to keep it clean and running. One of these days I'll get the body cleaned up and resprayed (OEM color).

The mirrors are definitely a hit and miss with people. A friend of mine only recently got to like them because of the Rota Slipstreams... but he then proceeded to advise me to paint my car Phoenix Yellow and Spoon Blue.
      1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

September 2015 - Oil in the spark plugs... not good! Visited Pick Your Part and bought a replacement valve cover for my engine. The paint used on the existing cover has not held up to the job and I didn't have time to strip and respray it.

Disgusting:

Out with the old:

Things look good up top. Performed valve adjustment:

All done! New valve cover, gasket, upper and lower spark plug tube seals, PCV valve, cover washers, distributor and Denso wires and plugs. Set base timing:

I had initially done a complete distributor seal replacement because the inner seal had worn out, allowing oil to enter the housing. Oil and heat are definitely not good for wire insulation. In swapping out those seals, I severed or shorted some of the electrical connections inside, because the wires' insulators had simply crumbled to bits. ECU was throwing a code 4 (crank position sensor error). Had to buy a new distributor.

Comment

I like where you are going with this DX.

Keep up the great and fast work!

Comment

Love this thread man. Keep it up. What differences have you noticed taking care of valve adjustment/seals, etc?

"You come from a long line of great poets, some of the greatest poets since Homer. One of them said, "The very time I thought I was lost, my dungeon shook and my chains fell off."
            - James Baldwin, "A Letter to My Nephew," The Fire Next Time.

UNI - Facebook - MRT

- Accord of the Month: March 2015 -

Comment

@excalibur02 - Thanks! I'm just doing my best to keep it up!

@khal.lawson - Much appreciated! Swapping the seals out obviously took care of any oil leaks from up top. My valves weren't far out of spec, so I only really noticed reduced "chatter" up top. In terms of performance, I'd say it "feels" smoother at idle.

Comment

January 2016 - Happy New Year folks! I went to Pick Your Part for their New Year's 40% off sale and decided to get the shift plate from a 92-96 Prelude since I only had the shift lever installed on my CB7 all this time.

Prelude shift lever in Accord base plate:

Complete assembly along with generic aluminum short shift adapter from my CD5 (I got rid of it with the Prelude lever in it!):

50mm Black delrin shift knob with 10x1.5mm threading and a generic PVC "leather" shift boot I ordered online:

I measured a line that would sit the boot frame flush with the center console, trimmed off the excess and rounded the edge:

Wrapped some 1/2" shrink wrap around the shift lever to cover up the exposed area:

*I know I have to replace my dash trim and re-wrap the speaker cover!

After driving on this set up for a few days, I ended up removing the short shift adapter. That short, notchy feel no longer appeals to me and I don't like the proportion of forward and backward motions to the lateral ones. I do like the shorter overall lever height due to the base plate swap and the 50mm shift knob is threaded nearly all the way through so it sits lower than the stock knob does as well.
                Last edited by apalileo; 01-05-2016, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Wow I like what you did to the shifter plate for the boot. I will definitely consider that.

Comment

Glad you like it! I sure do! Something about the more flush look improves it in my eyes.

Tip: Reinstall the boot plate into the console after removing the boot. Works as a perfect stencil for tracing the cut line. That's how I got the red line so straight on mine!

Comment

nice build man

current cb 93 10th ann. edition

member ride thread >>> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...73#post3257973

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
                        Glad you like it! I sure do! Something about the more flush look improves it in my eyes.

Tip: Reinstall the boot plate into the console after removing the boot. Works as a perfect stencil for tracing the cut line. That's how I got the red line so straight on mine!

Sounds easy! Once I get a new boot I will be doing the boot plate trim.

Thanks

Comment

@whitejdmcb7 - Thank you kindly!

@excalibur02 - Good luck with it! Also note that the boot plate is quite sturdy. I used my Dremel to trim it and broke two cutting wheels turning the corners and wore a third one down significantly! I just had the standard brown ones, so maybe some black reinforced ones would serve better.

Comment

Looking good man!!

Comment

Looks good man.. keep up the good work!
                              I got love for the BBB!

Comment

Thanks Shadow1 and jchsmiley! Just showing my CB the love it deserves... it's coming along bit by bit!

Comment

Working...
                                X