Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car idling very low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car idling very low

hey y'all

I have a 1990 honda accord DX(first car new to cars in general) and I have an issue.

At the moment I have no exhaust(piping between the cat and muffler rotted and fell off). Not sure if this is related to the issue, but when driving back from getting lunch, the car got noticeably louder than it was, and it started idling very low( under 500 rpms). when I got in front of my house and went to park, the car started to make a noise that I can only describe as a chopper or a dog panting. The car then proceeded to shut off on its own. Anyone have any idea what the issue may be? appreciate any help I can get

No offence but it sounds like it's trying to die. Something like this you should probably see some noticeable issues. got gas? got oil? got fluids? how do the spark plugs look? Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      No offence but it sounds like it's trying to die. Something like this you should probably see some noticeable issues. got gas? got oil? got fluids? how do the spark plugs look? Best of luck.
      I have about half a tank of gas, oil and fluids are all good. Had to leave for work so I couldn’t check my spark plugs but I’m gonna have my dad check em out. I’ll also note that the car sat for about 5-6 years before I got it, and it only has 94K miles on it(1.5K from Me).

Comment

Below 500? Note: The tachometer essentially starts at 500 rpm. There is a large thick mark at 0, then a medium mark at 500, then four small marks at 600, 700, 800, and 900, then the thicker mark at 1000.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          Below 500? Note: The tachometer essentially starts at 500 rpm. There is a large thick mark at 0, then a medium mark at 500, then four small marks at 600, 700, 800, and 900, then the thicker mark at 1000.
          My apologies, I should’ve said idling under 750 rpms. Thank you for the clarification. The car got driven around by my pops today and doesn’t seem to be having the issue anymore, but I’m gonna play it safe for now and drive my truck. I got told by a few people my spark plugs may be the issue, or it could’ve just been a fluke.

Comment

Do you have any Check Engine Lights currently?
            Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
              Do you have any Check Engine Lights currently?
              Yes, check engine lights been on since I got the car

Comment

Do yo know how to check the codes? Look under the right side of the dash. There should be a small two wire connector. Use something like half a paper clip to jump the connector, then turn the key to the "on" position (do not start the car). The check engine light should flash any stored codes. A long flash equals ten, a short flash equals one. If there are multiple codes, it will display them in order, then keep repeating them.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                  Do yo know how to check the codes? Look under the right side of the dash. There should be a small two wire connector. Use something like half a paper clip to jump the connector, then turn the key to the "on" position (do not start the car). The check engine light should flash any stored codes. A long flash equals ten, a short flash equals one. If there are multiple codes, it will display them in order, then keep repeating them.
                  never have done that before but thank you for telling me how to! Odd enough since the last time I posted in this thread, my check engine light hasn't come on at all. Usually it comes on about 5-10 minutes into driving but I've been driving to and from work and nothin now. I feel like I should be concerned?

Comment

Could be o2 sensor, only uses when up to operating temp and that's when the code would come on. Codes will store so you can always check even if they aren't actively on, just be sure to not unplug the battery or anything along those lines otherwise you'll wipe the codes. A coolant flush may help as the idle system utilizes coolant, as well check the fitv, it's on the front right side of the plenum, three screws on top, remove two and loosen the third so you can spin the cover off, there is a plastic slotted circle, use a flat head and gently spin it all the way down. As well I would recommend trying to clean the idle system with some carb cleaner.

Comment

Working...
                    X