Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1800 watts audopipe amp BROKE RCA'S i want to fix

so i have a 1800w audiopipe amp
    my dumbass never bolted down the box in the trunk any ways i broke the rca jack on the amp i can pull the silver piceses out of the amp
    i went to some radio repair places telling me anywhere from 50-100 dollars i can buy a new amp for 175$ but i am upgrading to a 3000w amp i have 2 12 solo baric kickers i love them
    '
    to the point anybody teach me how to desoulder and resoulder the rca jacks
    its a bridgeable amp so i was going to use the 2 good rcas on the amp and change them with the bad. im hoping to fix this amp to sell it to support the new amp fund

If you can buy the same amp new for $175. Don't bother fixing it. It's not worth it at all. If you absolutely must try to do it, go to Radio Shack and tell them what you want to do, they'll hook you up with the desoldering braid , flux, iron and electrical solder you'll need. you also might pick up a book on how to, it'll be easier than trying to teach you over the net.

Comment

al right so radio shack is the place to go , i want to fix it for two reason one i need it for my subs in the mean time #2 i want to sell iit to help make some money bak for the new 3000w amp. i guesw ill be watching som vids on souldering

Comment

Once for a quick fix I soldered the ends of two female RCA's directly to the circuitboard and ran them out from underneath the cover plate. It worked great. Matter of fact, I never changed it and to the best of my knowledge it's still working great 7 yrs later.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Get your hands on a male to femals rca y cable. And use the Mail pig tails for your inputs.

Get a meter, and find witch center pins go to what solder joint (directly beneath the connector, the connector is solderd to the board, there should be 3 maybe 4. 2 of them will go to the rca centers and there will ether be one or 2 left over, if their are 2 they should be wired together, these are your grounds, and the other 2 are your left and right inputs.

Just unsolder the older connector thats broken and wire the rca pig tails in place.

With most RCA cables the center wire is the the center pin, and the outside copper mesh that surrounds that wire is the ground.

If there is only one ground beneath the broken connector than just twist the 2 ground together, insert, solder and your in buisness.

The hardest part is getting the board out to where you can solder it sometimes depending on how they have the board held in.

If you need help, get the board out and take a front pic of the broken jack and a pic of the bottom of the jack where it is solder to the board. Please make sure these pics are as clear as possible.
          Last edited by tgdrums1990; 02-16-2010, 11:03 PM.
          My System
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165155

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
            If you can buy the same amp new for $175. Don't bother fixing it. It's not worth it at all. If you absolutely must try to do it, go to Radio Shack and tell them what you want to do, they'll hook you up with the desoldering braid , flux, iron and electrical solder you'll need. you also might pick up a book on how to, it'll be easier than trying to teach you over the net.
            Oh, i disagree completly. But i am also a electronics repair tech
            My System

Comment

Originally posted by tgdrums1990 View Post
              Oh, i disagree completly. But i am also a electronics repair tech
              Trevor (right?), you can't tell me that you think an $175 amp that's 1800 watts is worthwhile electronics. It's not going to sound as good as a quality amp, it won't last as long, and it's not really pushing out 1800 watts.

Comment

Trevor (right?), you can't tell me that you think an $175 amp that's 1800 watts is worthwhile electronics. It's not going to sound as good as a quality amp, it won't last as long, and it's not really pushing out 1800 watts.
                Well, ive always been broke. So to save myself 180$ shipped vs, just taking somthing apart and puttting some wires on it. Ive saved some sound stream refrence series amps that had worn out rca jacks... Ah if only I woulda help on to those !!!!!

Your right about the power. Audio pipe is there along with power acoustic. I would say if it;s rated at 1800 I would give it a solid 750 maybe 800rms... Thats pretty good power to drive a pair of entry level subs.
                My System

Comment

alright i will take the pics and read the sticky to learn how to post pics.
                  i have had this amp since june.

i broke the amp, the amp didn't break its self. my point if i thought this was a shitty amp i wouldn't but another one form them.

i have 2 solo baric kicker 12'' subs.

these subs push 750 RMS and 1500 watts apiece. for being ENTRY LEVEL subs they do rattle the inside of your body
                  yes kenwood rockford phosgate or something like that would be really nice. but i dont see u donating me any money for this.
                  i like the amp i got but its not powerful enough for my taste.
                  if it last me two years i would be happy with that. its not some super expensive high quailty shit. but I LIKE IT.

Comment

just with this amp and subs. it will rattle ur brain and can hear me from a 1/4mile down the road.n

nno its not the best but it defintly aint the shittest either. i found a 3000w amp for 179.
                    now i bet that is a shitty amp. the new amp im getting is 3000w and its 300$$ plus shipping .

thiers always xclent good okay bad and shitty on anything u buy. but i bet mine is rated okay to good.

Comment

Originally posted by tgdrums1990 View Post
                      Get your hands on a male to femals rca y cable. And use the Mail pig tails for your inputs.

Get a meter, and find witch center pins go to what solder joint (directly beneath the connector, the connector is solderd to the board, there should be 3 maybe 4. 2 of them will go to the rca centers and there will ether be one or 2 left over, if their are 2 they should be wired together, these are your grounds, and the other 2 are your left and right inputs.

Just unsolder the older connector thats broken and wire the rca pig tails in place.

With most RCA cables the center wire is the the center pin, and the outside copper mesh that surrounds that wire is the ground.

If there is only one ground beneath the broken connector than just twist the 2 ground together, insert, solder and your in buisness.

o and i was going to soulder it to the top side of the board u cant access the bottom

The hardest part is getting the board out to where you can solder it sometimes depending on how they have the board held in.

If you need help, get the board out and take a front pic of the broken jack and a pic of the bottom of the jack where it is solder to the board. Please make sure these pics are as clear as possible.
                      alright im goona get the pics and i really like your idear the board is almost impossible to access from the bottom unless u really know what ur doing and have the proper tools.

theirs some type of electrical paste on the amp. plus alot of glue on the bols and screws i don't wnt to break loose.

i really like ur idea im going to do that going to find a cheap souldering gun after wrk and try this their is only 3 points one on the left one on the right and one dead center.

i need help figureing out whats + - and ground
                      Last edited by doojo0014; 02-19-2010, 01:12 PM.

Comment

the piece i broke as u can see top anmd bottom u cant see the bottom one is broke though

pic of the whole amp for shits and giggles

the back of the RCA's i wanted to soulder the wires on the back do u see where the metal goes into the board. wanted to soulder their and then put something protective around it so they dont touch
                        Last edited by doojo0014; 02-19-2010, 01:53 PM.

Comment

yea that is probably best I dnt reccomend it normally, but seeings hwo you have a double sided pcb baord in that thing and what looks like silver solder. It will be a bitch to remove those rca jack without ripping feed through.

Ok, It looks like the input rcas are the ones on the left when looking at the rear of the rca jack.

is this a monoblock amp?

Cause it looks like the center pin inputs on the left nad right channels are conencted together... But i cant tell for sure, i need a better side angle to see what is fully going on...

Get a meter and put it on ohms or the beeper sound, and place one probe on the outside silver round part of the unbroke rca and then proble the pins on the back of the rca jack and found which one beeps, thats your ground, and then find the cinter pin wires for the upper and lower jack, and connect and your set to go.

Just make sure to wrap the wires around the pins as neatly as you can, and try to keep as much space between your connections as possible.

Once done, I would also maybe hot glue your work in place, just so nuthing can move or touch specially if you forget and tug on wires by accident.
                          My System

Comment

ok looking at the picture the left rca is broke just to clarafi
                            the left pin is for the bottom rca the middle is the ground it connects to the top and bottom and the right pin is for the top. im still not sure on wiring them in.
                            i would splice the wire soulder the ground to the ground prong middle pin
                            then the one for the top i would soulder the hot to the top pin and ditto for the bottom
                            u were saying something about a male to female Y connector i dint understand that part.

Comment

3000 for 300 ummm NO doesnt come close to doing 3000 watts. as far as being heard a 1/4 mile down the road you may rattle your brain but your not that loud.
                              Members Ride sold...
                              I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

Working...
                              X