Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rod Knock / Timing belt tensioner??? Knocks at around 2000 RPMS (HELP PLEASE!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does that help at all?

Comment

so i discovered when i parked my car this morning when it was real good and hot that the "rattle" is there when in neutral while keeping the throttle / rpms consistant at like 1800 rpms even (so not just under a light load) - its quieter of course... but its like a changing rattle that does sound like something that is rotating -- still a deeper sound -- does that make it point to anything in particular folks????

PLEASE HELP --- i might drop it off next week for a t-belt and tensioner and would rather not waste the money! - which is why im sticking to the advance auto or whatever gift card if you can solve it cause it;ll save me money!

Comment

....... Bump

Comment

are you positive the noise is coming from the engine? why not invest in a stethiscope and listen a little more closely. Theres a pretty long thread about a similar noise on HT where the guy found that he had crushed a bearing inside his transmission that was causing a knocking sound when driving. does your car make the noise when not in motion? Id prop the thing up on jackstands and get it to make the noise when stationary that way you can crawl around it and pinpoint the location of the noise.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
          member ride thread
          11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
          DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
          People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
          I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
          John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

definitely engine - or very near like timing belt --- not drivebelts-- and does it when not in motion in neutral also... like a friggin loose cam or something... i dont friggin know - my mechanic got out a long screwdriver at least and said its not the bottom end at least he believes... his theory is the tb tensioner... guess ill get it done and check back unless you might think im wasting money...

Comment

saturday morning bump

Comment

Sunday morning bump...

Comment

So I think im gonna pick up a boneyard engine with 52k miles on it for $300 (these motors are a dime a dozen in junkyards cause theres so many of them right now and usually as we all know, honda engines are bulletproof!)

so ill just have my mechanic toss a new belt on that motor so i dont have to worry about it and have him put a new clutch in while the motor's out so I won't have to worry about that either -- all in all the labor shouldnt be much more than like $600 - which is what you'd expect to pay a stealership for labor on just a friggin timing belt and valve adjustment! and thats not even considering the clutch change which - who knows, could end up going in another 10 or 20k miles anyway....

just let me know this is a good decision folks... No more "unnessary bumps" -- i'll just let you all know how it goes.

Comment

and this sounds a lot like my car only i think a little bit louder.. i shoudl get an mp3 at least or something for you folks to hear... just not sure how to do it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjtqaIRYxms

and you;ll see this guy said he ended up throwing a rod...

Actually i just went back to youtube and searched and this noise is pretty similary only quieter this time... haha but its the exact same like tone and speed and everything... what you all think?
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5W46ynZf7w

Dont know what happened with this guys motor...

Comment

So I think its a "wrist pin" that knocks when the engine heats up and under light load only... How bad is a wrist pin? Its my latest theory and I'm pretty confident in it now...

Comment

wrist pins are generally a more random knocking sound. That second video i cant hear anything related to what your describing.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                        member ride thread
                        11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                        DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                        People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                        I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                        John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

The female's jeep had this problem. Only at a certain rpm it would tick, but this's with her oil pressure light on, but we thought it was just a sensor. About a week down the road, it started knockin' real bad. Oil pump was on it's last limb.
                          98' Mustang 3V Swap
                          11' VW CC R36

Comment

Mine kinda make a faint sound, it runs fine though.
                            http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=SN850747.flv
                            wat?

Comment

hmmm yeah -- -your sound is def different.... I shoulda taken a better video.. The audio doesnt do it justice and the motor wasnt hot enough when i did it too --(it makes the noise the most when its really good and warmed up) -- can't be detonation though just for the record... When i pull the #3 plug wire it gets a lil quieter...

Comment

OMG! I have this problem!

I am driving a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE with a v6... and honestly... I am having the same problem as stanlee!

It does not "rattle" when idling in position but when I am driving and the rpms switch between 1700-2200 RPMS (I think about the time I shift gears) ... it rattles... and if I am staying roughly between those RPMS when driving, it makes that noise. I dont know what it is and I have taken it to 2 mechanics now and they cant find anything wrong.

I just dont know what it is... It only happens when I am in motion and between 1700-2200 RPMS.

Comment

Working...
                                X