CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > Members' Rides

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #34
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas seems to have made some friends!
Alright so after 2 weeks I finally got the Pilot up and running again. What a pain in the ass that was. I didn't help that 5-6 of the nights we had storms or rain all evening. The Pilot was dropped off in the driveway and didn't move until running again. Working on it wasn't really an option while it was pouring down rain.

The failure was that the passenger side lower transmission cooling line blew the fitting out of the radiator. Then the transmission just pumped all the fluid out of the system. This is a common problem of this radiator. To make it even better it was a known problem for Honda/Acura since '03 MDX and it wasn't fixed by '09 on the 2nd Generation of the Pilot. I replaced the radiator with a Denso unit, same as Honda would have sold me, from RockAuto. Desno was the original radiator as well, but has since been redesigned to not have the same failure. (Fleetw00d trying to give you a heads up that eventually your radiator is going to fail in your Pilot, in a horrible way.) Since I had the radiator out I decided it was time to do a bit more maintenance on the old girl, since I could actually reach a bunch of stuff with the radiator out.

- Denso Radiator
- OEM Thermostat
- OEM Radiator Cap
- OEM Antifreeze
- Adjusted valves (So much easier with the radiator out, at least for the forward facing cylinder head.)
- OEM valve cover gaskets
- OEM grommets on valve covers
- Disassembled intake manifold and fully cleaned it (I didn't know that the Pilots had a magnesium intake manifold that split in half as well. I thought only the ZDX had them.)
- Cleaned the lower runners
- Cleaned the throttle body
- Cleaned all the of splash shield and lower areas of the bumper cover (Fully coated in transmission fluid.)
- Cleaned the fender liners and other removable plastics on the lower bumper (Fully coated in transmission fluid.)
- Replace all of Honda's tension hose clamps with worm drive clamps
- Cleaned half of the sub frame and other things that were coated in transmission fluid
- Changed the oil (I always Seafoam the crankcase ahead of time, after taking off the valve covers this engine still needs a bit more time before she's going to be nice and clean. The previous owner must not have really believed in oil changes.)
- Finally installed new license plate holder (We left the old one on Lookout pass this past winter. FYI new vehicles suck balls when they lose control. Who in the hell thought it would be a good idea to fully kill power to the car while it has lost control? Yes in the dark, spinning with no damn headlights makes for super great times!!)

Anyway I should be back to working on Lola soon. I need to get my ECU sent off to Sonik to do some mods on it for me. More than anything I just really need to go drive Lola. I haven't driven her in 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by Rilas; 05-25-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Rilas is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: