The N word.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The N word.

Before I start, I just want to ask any participants in this conversation to keep things civil. I don't care to see anyone getting up on a soapbox, arguing, insulting, or anything else that goes beyond intelligent conversation. Think carefully before you reply. Keep in mind that this is MY thread, so I'll be aware of all goings on. I don't care to have to ban anyone due to a discussion that I started myself (but that doesn't change the fact that I WILL... this is your warning!)

Anyway, a Facebook friend of mine just posted a rant about the N word in all its forms, saying that it is racist and disrespectful no matter how you say it.
    With this thought, I agree 100%.

However, he went on to say that only black people are allowed to use it.

Now, I feel THAT is racist. Now, instead of being a term used by non-black people with derogatory connotations, it's a word that can ONLY be used by black people... exclusively. People of any other race are excluded from using that word, in any form.
    In fact, (and this is something I'd love to test, if I could find willing participants), I'd be willing to bet it has gone so far as to be recognized almost as a law. In a large workplace, say a store like Target or WalMart, black people could probably say that word a dozen times a day with no repercussions, but a person of another race would lose their job if overheard saying it just once by a manager or supervisor... even if that manager or supervisor wasn't black themselves, or if none of the black employees complained.

To me, the exclusivity of this word is no better than its previous usage. Regardless of who says it, its core meaning and overall perception in society is quite negative.

The double standard on this issue is horrific. Honestly, for whatever reason most of the time it seems black people get their panties in a wad really quickly over minuscule issues and escalate things way out of proportion.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Careful there.

Most black people I know really don't care, unless you say something that is clearly meant to be offensive.
      I do agree fully on the double standard, though. It makes no sense to me for someone to embrace the usage of a derogatory term, and go out of their way to ensure that word will forever be something that separates their group from all others.

Comment

I don't understand the double standard really... A lot of my black friends don't care.. but they'll troll me with it and pretend they do.
        92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
        2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
        2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

That's a word that i do not use in my vocabulary.. i don't use it out of respect and i expect others not to use similar words in reference to Asian people. Granted i have been called a "wheat cracker" before also which is a little confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
            That's a word that i do not use in my vocabulary.. i don't use it out of respect and i expect others not to use similar words in reference to Asian people. Granted i have been called a "wheat cracker" before also which is a little confusing.
            Like a Triscuit? I don't use the word, don't think anyone else should either. I have unfriended people on Facebook for using it.
            Originally posted by Mishakol129
            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Even I'm a victim of the double standard. Being exposed for so long to the "acceptability" of black people using it, I don't often even notice when they do. When a person of another race uses it (white especially), the internal alarms go off.

"wheat cracker" seems to be drawing on the parallels often drawn between Asian and white people. I notice that many white stereotypes are often extended to Asians. Hispanic people often seem to be regarded in similar ways to black people. I've even heard Hispanic guys using the N word in regards to other Hispanics. Talk about confusing...

Comment

I'll post more when I get home(Pooping at work right now ) but my managers and I routinely refer to our customers as ******s. We don't do it while they're around, and all the managers are white or Puerto rican.
                MRT
                37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                Originally posted by Tippey764
                I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                Originally posted by deevergote
                sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Comment

I personally don't use that word and I don't like it being said around me by anyone. I don't think it's appropriate for anybody to use.

I truly don't understand why black people continue to say it either. Its something from a dark past which I don't think is relevant, purposeful, or has any place in modern society. But I guess it's such a matter that carries subjective opinions that one would have a hard time getting answers that are similar to eachother.

I will add this though. I do enjoy caucasian women. I'm not afraid to admit that.

=p

Comment

As always, Mak, everything you say makes sense!

I guess my purpose for this thread was simply because the comment on Facebook (made by a guy I barely know... a friend of a friend) is one that I just didn't want to reply to on there.

Although the social stigma and negative connotations to derogatory terms for white people aren't nearly as prevalent as they are for terms for black people, I still would never refer to myself as a "cracker". Hell, I didn't even know the origin of that word until a Korean co-worker of mine explained it to me! It comes from the slave days, as does the N word. Instead of carrying a connotation of ignorance and inferiority, it suggests a person is the slavedriver. The one wielding the whip. To me, that's even MORE offensive. I sure as hell wouldn't welcome that term, whether it came from another white person or not!

I feel that if a term is going to be used regularly, it should be broadened to include everyone. Let everybody use the word without issue. Let the word apply to everybody. That way, it doesn't draw any negative attention to any particular group.
                      That, or more sensibly... just discontinue the usage of the word completely. Though some rappers would find their lyrics lacking by almost 50%!

Comment

Originally posted by Makaveli2k View Post
                        I will add this though. I do enjoy caucasian women. I'm not afraid to admit that.
                        =p
                        Or a fine glass of cognac.

Doubel standards exist--they suck, but they exist. That's a whole different thread, if even something we'd be allowed to discuss.

I will admit, I use it. But even when Im in company of those who wont be offended by my usage of it, I still feel this mini-"look over my shoulder", lol. It's sad but true.

A few of the guys at work (white) call each other ni**a but they're quiet about it.

The only other time I can think of, and Id like opinions on this one, is when people--myself included--use the term, "nukka". Obviously, it's not being derrogatory or offensive, but what're the feeling on it? It is similar in sound, and spelling, to the word being discussed here, but it's not used in the same context or meaning. It's not being used to disparage a race.

However, when black people say to one another, they're not using to offend or disparage eachother either. Which begs the question, why say it to begin with?

Just like the scene from Clerks II, where Randall call Dante the "N"-word and Dante says it was used by ignorant slave owners and it's sole purpose, among other words, was to disparage an entire race.

Why would you remind yourself, and your fellow african-americans, of such hate and ignorance?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                        Originally posted by Jarrett
                        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

A white person could use that term with no malice behind it as well. Or an Asian person, etc...

The "nukka" idea was actually brought up in the Facebook discussion. The friend that posted it said that even that is too close. I agree. It's clearly a variation on the original, even if that variation is practically never used maliciously. I can't imagine some tattooed skinhead starting shit with a black guy by saying "what did you say to me, nukka?"

Comment

it doesnt matter to me

i use the word to black friends and to white friends. its no longer a word of offense to me, if you say it you say it it doesnt bother me. Its just a word, i think people get all worked up over nothing. Its not that big of a deal. The blacks who use it and get offended when a white person uses it ARE indeed idiots IMO.
                            My Baby "CLEO", Slowly Making Her Mine

Comment

As a white kid who grew up in predominately white neighborhoods, I can say that if I said any variation other than "nukka", in front of a black person, friend or not...something would happen. Be it physical or verbal.

IMO, that word cannot be said by white people, around black people. Even if everyone's comfortable, someone's either holding it in or secretly uncomfortable by it.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                              Originally posted by Jarrett
                              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Working...
                              X