Need some input (1988 BMW 635csi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some input (1988 BMW 635csi)

Quick question, you guys know anything about E24's? I may be purchasing a 1988 635csi, its a deal I can't refuse. From what I've been reading they are quite reliable. Single owner, typical rich guy. Bought it new, kept it in his garage (really low KMS ). He 'restored' it last year (did major maintenance) so his son could use it when he visited back from med school but he ended up not coming so its just been sitting in his garage, covered. Insures it every once in a while. If anything, I'll drive her for a while and just re sell it. Any input would be great, checked it out on the weekend and oh my, f*cking sexy ass car. We agreed on a price today and hes just sorting out the paper work. He works next door to my dad and he just mentioned he wanted to get rid of it. Full service history, tool kit, manuals, maintained religiously etc.

Its funny, its everything I wasn't looking for in my 1st car 2 door,rwd,automatic. Was hoping for a manual 4 door

Hoping Makaveli2k can chime in, remember him mentioning these cars before.

(Looks exactly like this, same color and wheels.)

Its grey, clean, no accidents, fully optioned and has an OG 6 cd alpine full audio system. Seriously, I would love to hear any input on 635csi's.

Only cons: Its automatic :/ Was kinda hoping for a manual car but it would be sick to drive for a bit. Gonna repaint the front lip, few scuffs. But thats about it.

Thanks alot guys, just trying to find out as much about it as possible. Been reading several forums and I know a few of you know BMW's!

I saw one of these get sold at an impound auction. Went for $500, then the guy put a little money in it, and added a 0 to his original purchase price when he sold it. This is a collectors item and honestly, it should be thought of as such. There is nothing wrong with a sunday car!

Comment

That's one option, I hope to flip it but I might fall in love with it! haha. Hopefully it does sell, everyone wants the manual variants. The leather also seemed to be a bit haggard on the side extension, just from getting in and out. No rips but it just looks a bit worn out. I beleive they are the recaro sport seat option. Wonder how much a re-apolster would be...

Comment

anywhere between 500-1000 for a great upholsterer

no
        Accord turbo kit under $2k here
        $30 HID kits here Thread
        "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
        "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Just bought it gonna pick it up sometime this week.

Comment

The last year that these were made, nice cars, they're based on the older 5 series, so they should be very comfy. The motors are plenty powerful and nice, but not easy on gas. You'll enjoy it if it was well kept.

Comment

Oh, that's gorgeous. I absolutely love BMs from that era.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Those 6 series are really cool. Definitely good cars, as mak said... based on the 5 series, which is every bit as reliable as the 3 series (the only BMW that I ever hear complaints about unreliability is the 7 series...)

Shame it's auto... but it's still sweet.

Comment

I want a classic sexy bmw so bad
                  1993 Accord LX - Sold
                  93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                  92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                  2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                  2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                  2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                  2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                  2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Let me know if you need a quote on anything. I work for Bavarian Autosport. I can get yeah any factory/OEM part and aftermarket ones too...

PSN ~ Ghostboost03
                    Jimm@BavAuto.com

~1993 Accord LX
                    ~2003 Nissan Maxima GLE
                    ~2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege #1954 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                      I want a classic sexy bmw so bad
                      Imagine one of those things, perfectly clean like the one I posted... with an engine swap from a modern-day BMW in it (or, blasphemous as it may be... something a bit more inexpensive... say, Japanese or American...)

Comment

Be grateful you don't own an e46 with the M56 engine. The fuel pump (which is part of the gas tank) will run you close to $7000.00 labor NOT included either.

Or the awful self leveling suspension on some of the X5's and E38's...

PSN ~ Ghostboost03
                        Jimm@BavAuto.com

~1993 Accord LX
                        ~2003 Nissan Maxima GLE
                        ~2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege #1954 - SOLD

Comment

Yeah, those older BMWs are SO much simpler.

That's why I'm shying away from buying a newer one. To me, a BMW is a car you buy brand new, under warranty... because fixing one out of pocket is something that only the insane, stupid, or seriously dedicated do!

Comment

Mmmm, always been an 80s BMW fan. 6 series is a classic.

You should definetly be happy with that car!

Comment

Thanks guys, it really is a clean car. Complete tool kit (The owner didn't even know it was there! , came with a police radar I think. Not perfect though, has a few blemishes but its in alot better condition than the old accord! Gonna make a MR thread tomorrow haha, Something I've been wanting to make for the four (?) years I've been here

The suspension is really tired though. Going to be replacing that as well as the tie rods, ball joints and get an alignment. Lastly, going to take care of the small rust spot thats just starting, made sure it wasn't coming from the chassis or anywhere underneath. Seems like its the same problem our Honda's have that cause the rust. Got the driver side power headrest to work though! the passenger side motor seems like it doesn't have enough power.

I really wasn't looking for this type of car lol, the history is great and it only costed me $3500. Way under our budget for a new car. So as mentioned, I couldn't pass up this deal. Dad loves it, Mom loves it, and we are getting compliments by everyone haha.

Few pics for now:

Also, that silver BMW was on ebay for $250,000 ! he eventually lowered it to 75k I believe. Mak, wasn't 89' the last year? let me know about some BMW forums! haha. Bimmerforums seems to have a good E24 community. Niteryder315, I'll be PMing you shortly! thanks man!
                              Last edited by 1990accordex-r; 09-30-2011, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X