Drum brakes; Wheel Cylinders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drum brakes; Wheel Cylinders.

So I know our drum brakes don't get much love most people just swap on disc for the rear. But I was wondering what upgrades can be done to stock drum set up. I know the wagon rear wheel cylinders have a larger bore. Would this help braking. And is there anything else that needs to be used with the wagon wheel cylinders?
    wat?

i am 5 lugged with drum brakes, there is a pic of my car here on the site
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Nice. How ever I'm not looking to go 5 lug just trying to get a little more performance out of the rear brakes.
      wat?

Comment

there is not much out there, the drum brakes actually perform well. I tried a custom brake shoe and it ended up expanding when it got hot and created a lot of drag before it broke into little pieces.

The main down side of the drums is the necessity to adjust them to get the same pedal feel of the rear disc setup.
        1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
        newer race video,older race videos
        1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
        1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

Slotted drums can be done, and performance shoes.
          However as has already been said, the drums work pretty well in stock form.

Their biggest downfall is dissipation of heat due to an enclosed design.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Larger bore wheel cylinders are going to improve your braking no doubt.

I am over Honda drum brakes, pain in the balls to replace the shoes.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Working...
            X