House heating, boiler.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House heating, boiler.

I have a house that is about 90years old, still runs a water boiler heat system (which works just fine, boiler was actually replaced a few years ago). I want to remove the over kill 4.5"OD 90year old black pipe for copper, I want to try and make the basement useable without huge pipes hanging everywhere lol.

Installing the piping is no problem for me. The question I have is their a certain way to route the piping to the radiators. The way it is right now seems over kill and redundant. Or can I just run a pipe basically, around the perimeter of the basement to each radiator?
    wat?

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
    I have a house that is about 90years old, still runs a water boiler heat system (which works just fine, boiler was actually replaced a few years ago). I want to remove the over kill 4.5"OD 90year old black pipe for copper, I want to try and make the basement useable without huge pipes hanging everywhere lol.

Installing the piping is no problem for me. The question I have is their a certain way to route the piping to the radiators. The way it is right now seems over kill and redundant. Or can I just run a pipe basically, around the perimeter of the basement to each radiator?
    i dont know exactly how things work with those systems, so i cant say for sure, but working every day with fire suppression and sprinkler style systems (which clearly are a bit different), double check how they are engineered, like if you need a certain amount of water pressure and a certain amount of water flowing through the system.

you dont want to bottle down to the point where you have to have 4x the amount of pressure going through the line to keep the proper amount of water flow, or not meet the flow demands of the sytem, etc, not to mention you get pressure drops based on things like 90 degree angle fittings, and splitters etc.

again i dont do anything like what youre asking or have any direct knowledge of the subject. i just work with mild - moderate pressure systems and we engineer around things like that.

the post is mostly just a make sure youre aware type of thing.

Comment

I think you're going to be running into issues if you decide to use a smaller diamater copper pipe. The system in there now was designed for a certain flow, pressure, and volume based on the house. Also, be sure to use the proper schedule copper pipe, as it varies based on the thickness of the wall. You could possibly install an expansion tank to help keep things in check.

Copper right now is VERY expensive! My home has all copper supply AND drain lines (4") and I have yet to be able to find a 4" copper pipe at the local store.

Honestly, I'd consult an HVAC guy first before doing anything. Some things in houses are better left alone, especially if they still work just fine!

Comment

Spent a couple days on the internet educating myself on the subject.. Decided to not mess with the piping. To do it properly would be way out of budget.
        wat?

Comment

Originally posted by s2cmpugh View Post
          I think you're going to be running into issues if you decide to use a smaller diamater copper pipe. The system in there now was designed for a certain flow, pressure, and volume based on the house. Also, be sure to use the proper schedule copper pipe, as it varies based on the thickness of the wall. You could possibly install an expansion tank to help keep things in check.

Copper right now is VERY expensive! My home has all copper supply AND drain lines (4") and I have yet to be able to find a 4" copper pipe at the local store.

Honestly, I'd consult an HVAC guy first before doing anything. Some things in houses are better left alone, especially if they still work just fine!
          you saying your house has a 4" copper supply line into it? lol

i work for the dept of water so i do tons of plumbing and thats just not right lol.

c91blx7 - is that black pipe your reffering to galvonized steel? what size? average size to run a house is anywhere from half inch lines to 1 inch lines with 3/4" the most common.

as for the pressure, whatever the pressure comes into your house at is the pressure you'll have all throughout your house, the only way to change it is if you have a PRV located where your main water line comes into the house, turning the nut on the top of it will allow more water to come in(if possible...depends how much the city pressure is at compared to inside your house). as long as its just inside your house, anything over 55lbs of water pressure is more then enough to supply water, as long as the lines are pressurized and theres no leaks, you'll have no problem with anything.

as for the pipes, ive seen TONS of people use just copper pipes comming out of the fittings, then throwing on a fitting called a union and from there going with poly lines. theyre just as effective and 1/10th the price of copper.
          ..[CB7][STAR]..
          MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by stewie View Post

i work for the dept of water so i do tons of plumbing and thats just not right lol.

c91blx7 - is that black pipe your reffering to galvonized steel? what size? average size to run a house is anywhere from half inch lines to 1 inch lines with 3/4" the most common.

as for the pressure, whatever the pressure comes into your house at is the pressure you'll have all throughout your house, the only way to change it is if you have a PRV located where your main water line comes into the house, turning the nut on the top of it will allow more water to come in(if possible...depends how much the city pressure is at compared to inside your house). as long as its just inside your house, anything over 55lbs of water pressure is more then enough to supply water, as long as the lines are pressurized and theres no leaks, you'll have no problem with anything.

as for the pipes, ive seen TONS of people use just copper pipes comming out of the fittings, then throwing on a fitting called a union and from there going with poly lines. theyre just as effective and 1/10th the price of copper.
            He's talking about his boiler system. Its completely separate from the house water once the system fills up.

I actually did exactly what OP is wants to do with my dad. Its not fun.

Comment

Originally posted by stewie View Post

I was referring to the 4" drain copper drain pipes all over the house. The supply is PVC from the meter then attached to all copper hot and cold supply.

To the OP, have you thought about converting to a forced air system or did you really want to keep the boiler and radiator setup?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                Decided to not mess with the piping. To do it properly would be way out of budget.
                Originally posted by s2cmpugh View Post
                To the OP, have you thought about converting to a forced air system or did you really want to keep the boiler and radiator setup?
                not being a dick the cost to change to a fau is greater then what he wanted to do

Comment

Working...
                X