CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > Members' Rides

Old 09-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #21
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
I didn't buy it from Steve. I bought a car that had the engine already installed. The car was owned by an older guy who lived in the country and had a long commute in to town each morning. When his engine went, he just bought an H22A with MP0A transmission from Steve. I have the receipt for what he paid for it, but I don't know where it is, or remember what he paid. Honestly, though, I think I would prefer this engine over another H22A. This one is from a '97 Accord SiR right before the switch to the F20B. It's amazingly clean, and the fact that it came in a car with an automatic makes me think it was hardly ever romped on.

Yes, the throttle body is a bit smaller. I think it matches the H23A1 here in the US, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't concern myself with that too much as aftermarket throttle bodies in larger sizes can be had for very inexpensively which also do away with the FITV. But the camshafts are the real culprit with the power loss over the typical Prelude H22A.

I'd take the engine I have which is in far better condition than ANY other H22A I've seen, spend $200 on Type-S cams and another $100 on an aftermarket 62-66mm throttle body and be much happier than the 200hp model. That's even if the Accord SiR and Prelude versions cost the same.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #22
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

blk91coupe is cool... so far.
Thanks, FlipEye! I'm really looking forward to driving it.

Thanks, Jarrett! You make some great points there. I won't worry about it. It is a super clean engine and that makes total sense about not being romped on.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:17 AM   #23
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

So when getting stuff installed back on the engine the other day I started to get the a/c back on and realized that the a/c return line is probably 2mm from the aftermarket header I bought. Anyone have have any recommendations? It's very close to where the line meets back with the compressor so I don't think bending the line would work. My dad wants to put a dent in the header tube. I'm using the f22 bracket. I wish I had taken a picture.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:36 AM   #24
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire
How much longer 'til completion?

Straight Success is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:38 AM   #25
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk91coupe View Post
So when getting stuff installed back on the engine the other day I started to get the a/c back on and realized that the a/c return line is probably 2mm from the aftermarket header I bought. Anyone have have any recommendations? It's very close to where the line meets back with the compressor so I don't think bending the line would work. My dad wants to put a dent in the header tube. I'm using the f22 bracket. I wish I had taken a picture.
Wrap either the header or the A/C line or both. I had/have the same issue. Try to cut down on heat transfer with the wrap.

Straight Success is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:38 AM   #26
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
How much longer 'til completion?
Hopefully a day or two more of working on it but probably longer. Unfortunately it's on the other side of the state so I only get a day of work in on it every week or two. We'll see how much I get done on Sunday.

Thanks! Yeah, we also thought about wrapping it. I think I'll try that before doing anything drastic.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #27
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

Well, things kept coming up with this this thing but I finally got to drive it yesterday. Unfortunately it's still not finished. I need to put the f22 vss in and check the EGR valve and the throttle position. Also need to fix a huge exhaust leak back by the muffler, it's bad and sounds horrible. Vtec wouldn't engage but I'm pretty sure the things to fix above will take care of that. It still pulls pretty good though. A code 12 came up hence checking the EGR. Anyhow, just thought I'd give a quick update. Hopefully I can finish it this coming weekend.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #28
DCB7
CB7tuner Member

DCB7 is cool... so far.
Quote:

Car looks great man The swap sounds good so far
Old 10-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #29
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

Thumbs up

Thanks DCB7! I've been watching your progress as well. Love your car man.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #30
DCB7
CB7tuner Member

DCB7 is cool... so far.
ppreciate it man. I'm working on it
Those black accord coupes tho, whew. Always nice (even the 5th gens)
and you got yours set good too.
That exhaust sound could be the resonator if its that bad
Old 10-07-2015, 08:26 AM   #31
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas seems to have made some friends!
It's great to see this thing on the road again! Even if you still have a little bit more work in front of you. All in due time.
Rilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #32
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB7 View Post
ppreciate it man. I'm working on it
Those black accord coupes tho, whew. Always nice (even the 5th gens)
and you got yours set good too.
That exhaust sound could be the resonator if its that bad
The whole exhaust system is pretty new except the pipe between the muffler and the midpipe. The section right in front of the muffler is rusted through at the seam pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilas View Post
It's great to see this thing on the road again! Even if you still have a little bit more work in front of you. All in due time.
Thanks Rilas, I've also been watching your thread. I admire all the work you're putting into that car. I wish I had the time and space to do that. Maybe someday.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #33
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

Well, I have it back on the road. Although I'm pretty sure one of the new axles I bought is bad either that or the intermediate shaft. It has a clicking noise when turning to the right and and intermittent vibration that got worse after my trip back home. So I'll be trying to fix that this week.

Here's a couple pics from last night. The clear coat has seen better days and it is absolutely filthy from sitting all summer.

And the engine bay!

I'll have to update my mod list soon.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #34
Flip-Eye
CB7tuner Member

Flip-Eye is cool... so far.
Awesome engine bay, clean H-swap.

That's where my coupe is destined for come springtime
Flip-Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #35
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

Thanks Flip-eye! Good luck with the swap, the difference in power is awesome!

Unfortunately I think there might be an issue in the transmission. I'm worried it might be bearings or something. The noise and vibration is very intermittent and really develops after stepping on it hard and even sometimes not even stepping on it hard. When it occurs, the noise and vibration starts in the low rpms and stops between 3-4000 rpms under power. I put honda mtf in for fluid. It has the t2t4 transmission. I'm thinking about trying the amsoil synchromesh. Any ideas? I could try doing a video later but I'm not sure how much it will show up. I replaced the drivers side axle with another new one also.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #36
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Quote:
Well, I have it back on the road. Although I'm pretty sure one of the new axles I bought is bad either that or the intermediate shaft. It has a clicking noise when turning to the right and and intermittent vibration that got worse after my trip back home. So I'll be trying to fix that this week.

Here's a couple pics from last night. The clear coat has seen better days and it is absolutely filthy from sitting all summer.

And the engine bay!

I'll have to update my mod list soon.

Yep, this looks great!! How are you liking the added HP ?
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #37
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

Thanks Raf99! I lover the power! Unfortunately everytime I use the power the issue I mentioned in my last post comes back.

Speaking of that, I've taken it very easy the last couple of times I drove the car and the issue doesn't seem to happen when I do that. And I hurt my back at work today so I won't be able to work on it for at least a few days.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #38
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

Ok so I took a couple of videos, not sure if anyone can tell anything from them but I thought I'd try to show you what's happening. And a new symptom came up. Even just rolling in town in neutral after I took these videos there was a high pitched squeaking that went away under braking. After the car sat for 20 minutes or so it all went away. Also the noise is different in the video more rattly than in person.

I'm not sure if those are working since I can't check with my phone so here are the links.

https://youtu.be/cSZUT6KQiLo

https://youtu.be/1jSGGYc0BDw

Last edited by blk91coupe; 10-14-2015 at 09:16 PM.
blk91coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 PM   #39
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

According to someone on FB that's had several of these transmissions it's the differential. It's always locked pretty much. Guess I'll be calling Hmotors tomorrow hopefully they'll help me out considering it has less than 400 miles on it and has made a weird vibration since I first drove it. If they don't help me out I'll be putting the f22 EX trans back in and saving for a rebuild and new diff.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #40
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

I talked to Steve at Hmotors today and it looks like if it is indeed the transmission that's the issue he'll take care of it. So he wants me to talk to the guys up at kaizenspeed and see if they'll check it out. Before I spend a bunch of money shipping it down to California.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: