No announcement yet.

SUSP : Rack and Pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of counting how many turns it is to take the tie rod off, would it be eaiser to mark where it was with white out?
    CB7
    Removed:A/C, P/S, C/C, ABS, Wires, Battery
    Added: H22A, South Bend TZ Series Clutch, Fidanza (8lb) Flywheel, Megan 4-1 Headers
    Waiting For:M2F4 Tranny, NX 50 Shot

Comment

make sure you have plenty of towels to clean up the power steering fluid youre going to spill...and when youre putting everything back together, make sure you connect the powersteering fluid lines first and then bolt up the SR to the car...its easier this way

Originally posted by fizzbob7
      first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
      Originally posted by ACC0RD22
      no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
      So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

I'm thinking steering rack?! I ordered a rebuilt rack from Majestic, so I should be doing this over the weekend. I've been running no p/s for quite sometime now and I kept it lubricated, but I guess I just had bad luck w/ it Great DIY

Comment

Originally posted by 10thcb7
          i just talked to a tech at the honda house and he said that i may need to pull the carpet back and remove some plastic screws. He said that the rack is held in place by some u joint looking deals. I guess this is what i have to do to make this work correct ?
          thats step 5...

4. Now go in the car and start removing the steering rack cover that is held in place by 3 plastic screws at the base and 2 ring springs on the column. Just unscrew the 3 plastic screws by hand and pull down on the ring springs until they pop off. Now just peel the plastic cover off and the steering rack will be exposed.

5. There are 2 10mm bolts that hold the rack and pinion to the steering rack. Turn the steering wheel until you are able to get to the 2 bolts. Remove them and slide the joint up.

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

If i have a mechanic friend i used to work with do this for me, how much do u think i should pay him? this is gonna be on the side, so not retail at 80bucks an hour.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

60-80 bucks should be good

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

On a related but different note, I've been doing some research into swapping a Civic manual steering rack into a CB, because I want true manual steering, not just line looping....any of ya'll thought about the complecations of that. I don't really have to have my car out of commision while I attempt that, since its my DD. But I really want too...any feedback would be great. I measured mounting holes and total lengths and such. If I recall, it'd probably work with a rack from a 90 Civic hatch, and you'd just have to drill two mounting holes and find some combonation of tie rods that worked.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

I just have two questions. 1)Is the loctite a preference call or is it necessary? 2)This should be the same DIY no matter if its manual or auto?
                  My CB For Sale

Comment

whats a craddle? never heard of it.
                    My CB For Sale

Comment

when you're evacuating all the fluid out with the car on, turning the wheel side to side, won't that burn up the PS pump? i just had that replaced like 2-3 yrs ago so i really wouldn't want to mess that up.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2
                        when you're evacuating all the fluid out with the car on, turning the wheel side to side, won't that burn up the PS pump? i just had that replaced like 2-3 yrs ago so i really wouldn't want to mess that up.
                        After a very long time, yes, but in this case, no. When I did this, the front end was in the air anyways, leaving very little to no strain on the pump itself. You'd have to run the pump absolutely dry for awhile to do any damage, so you're good. And I'm sure there's a film/coating of p/s fluid in the pump just after you drain the majority of the fluid from rack from turning the wheel side to side.

Comment

I'll will be doing this job soon, I just picked up a r&p from a salvage yard in pretty decent shape for $55 today w/ boots intact and not broken, no rust or anything. it seemed fairly new or replaced before the was wrecked in the back. It looked pretty simple watching him taking it off since he had the cb7 on a fork lift working under it. But reading this DIY really helped out so i could make sure he did it right, i just hope my old rack comes out as easy on jackstands.

Does it matter between the blue and green loctite? I know I asked this question in an earlier post but I just need to be sure.
                          My CB For Sale

Comment

Help!!!

Taking out R&P problems. I took everything off and now the rack and pinion is free hanging from the car but when i pulled it down and to the right the rack will not come out. I took the bolts on the inside of the car off and its almost out but will not get passed the down pipe. My car is still stock so I was trying to figure out the best way to go about finishing it.
                            My CB For Sale

Comment

Totaly forgot to do step 4... Thank god for this diy . Now I'm off to finish er up!

Comment

Not sure how I missed this thread before. Anyways, it reminded me that some blue loctite would be a good idea. And I'm REALLY going to try my best to do this with the exhaust intact. Just going to push the driver side tie-rod in and have at it. Exhaust will come out as a last resort.
                                Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Working...
                                X