Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Someone please tell me whats causing this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... this is an interesting problem. I think we all need to get House MD on this problem and look at the symptoms and figure out what the underlying cause is. I'm surprised you are not getting a CEL on when this happens.

So you can turn on the car and put it into gear and drive it around but you can not take your foot off the throttle while you are in gear. Can you accelerate after going to a different gear. For example if you are in 3rd and you slow down can you rev the engine in neutral or pop it into 2nd and get the motor going again?

I would look at every single electrical connection... especially the ones around the distributor that report to the ECU. Spray some contact cleaner in those to displace any water and let that dry out. It wouldn't hurt spraying a good amount of this cleaner or WD-40 in the back area of your alternator to get any left over water out. Just dont run anything till the cleaner dries out completely... might take an hour or so.

My guess is this has something to do with a sensor reporting bogus info to your computer screwing up your fuel injection.

BTW...
    I've known so many people that have done what you have... gone to the local car wash and put it on engine degreaser and went to town on their engine compartments only to chase these demon problems cause water got into some vacuum line or into their cv joints or some thing! I recommend if you really want to do this right that you take it to the steam cleaner guys that wrap up the important things and only clean with gentle steam and let the bad stuff just drip off... its kinda expensive $50 but they do a great job... and they don't dump the waste into the sewer... or recycle the water like some car washes!
    AD5OS
    FOLDING@home

Comment

I still think it's the distributor. Try to find a known good distributor from a fellow CB7'er or junkyard. It could possibly be the ignitor or the connections to it. need to be cleaned and regreased with dielectric grease.
      Jei Chang
      BlackTrax Performance

Comment

Originally posted by AD5OS
        Well... this is an interesting problem. I think we all need to get House MD on this problem and look at the symptoms and figure out what the underlying cause is. I'm surprised you are not getting a CEL on when this happens.

So you can turn on the car and put it into gear and drive it around but you can not take your foot off the throttle while you are in gear. Can you accelerate after going to a different gear. For example if you are in 3rd and you slow down can you rev the engine in neutral or pop it into 2nd and get the motor going again?

I would look at every single electrical connection... especially the ones around the distributor that report to the ECU. Spray some contact cleaner in those to displace any water and let that dry out. It wouldn't hurt spraying a good amount of this cleaner or WD-40 in the back area of your alternator to get any left over water out. Just dont run anything till the cleaner dries out completely... might take an hour or so.

My guess is this has something to do with a sensor reporting bogus info to your computer screwing up your fuel injection.

BTW...
        I've known so many people that have done what you have... gone to the local car wash and put it on engine degreaser and went to town on their engine compartments only to chase these demon problems cause water got into some vacuum line or into their cv joints or some thing! I recommend if you really want to do this right that you take it to the steam cleaner guys that wrap up the important things and only clean with gentle steam and let the bad stuff just drip off... its kinda expensive $50 but they do a great job... and they don't dump the waste into the sewer... or recycle the water like some car washes!
        I can't take it out of gear and rev it. I loose all throttle response.

And thanks for the tips ill try them out.

Could it be the alternator going bad?

Comment

Ok so you cant take it out of gear at all?... or when you take it out of gear it doesnt rev when you hit on the gas? This is a 5 speed right?

No I dont think it is the alternator btw but clean it out and everything else with electric cleaner.
          AD5OS
          FOLDING@home

Comment

I can take it out of gear, But when i press on the gas nothing happens. The car does stay on. A guy from honda-tech is suggesting the fuel pressure regulator?

Comment

Originally posted by JunCB7
              I can take it out of gear, But when i press on the gas nothing happens. The car does stay on. A guy from honda-tech is suggesting the fuel pressure regulator?
              Bogus, that will not do that.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

the car will stay on or the engine? if you just keep the car in neutral in your drive way can you throttle up the engine to high RPM and the car will keep running. Or will it come back down and die? I would start trouble shooting.

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...400/b-400.html

This page specifically.
                http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m.../400/6-148.pdf

If the car is starting then it is probably just one component that is screwing up cause it got some water into it.
                AD5OS
                FOLDING@home

Comment

Originally posted by SuperNova 92 EX
                  Agreed. Coils rarely go bad on cb7's.
                  Possibly, but ignitors die when they get old, especially if the HT lead resistance is high (high HT lead resistance could well be the cause of ignitor death). A faulty ignitor can stop working intermittently, but will eventually stop working altogether.

I've had two ignitors die, the second only a week or so after the first, which is when I found out they were sensitive to HT lead resistance (excessive lead resistance causes the ignitor to run hot, and thus overheats it causing failure).
                  Regards from Oz,
                  John.

Comment

Originally posted by AD5OS
                    the car will stay on or the engine? if you just keep the car in neutral in your drive way can you throttle up the engine to high RPM and the car will keep running. Or will it come back down and die? I would start trouble shooting.

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...400/b-400.html

This page specifically.
                    http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m.../400/6-148.pdf

If the car is starting then it is probably just one component that is screwing up cause it got some water into it.
                    The engine stays on but i loose throttle response. It revs to high RPM but stumbles the whole way up. When it comes back down it idles really rough and stays at about 400 rpms then dies.

Comment

guild

Understood not greatly whether you do send to you more articles I to post the box unit or the short news issue I. I want to understand more

guild wars gold

Comment

Bump

Comment

Update.

Ran the codes and got a 14 and 15
                          Took off the IACV and it was clogged with black gunk and also the hoses connecting to it were split. The under side of it was also very rusted.

Any tips?

Comment

Alright guys here is the scoop.
                            Me and my buddy are gonna take a spare h23 harness from his ole bb and swap it into my car. We also are gonna use on of his distributers. It will be a internal to external swap but shouldn't be too difficult with the h23 harness. I'm Also gonna bum a IACV since mine is rusted to shit.

Ill take pics and post them as the progress continues.
                            It starts sunday.

Comment

The engine will run fine with the IACV blanked off (I think even better). You can do this easily by blocking the entry / exit ports into and out of the IACV / plenum with a 'blind' gasket made from shim (drink can aluminium is perfect).

If you do this and the problem clears up then you'll know it was associated with the IACV. Gearchanges will also be improved with the IACV disabled (manual only of course), though the idle will no longer automatically adjust for auxilliary loads (AC etc...). If you blank off the IACV the engine may refuse to idle, in which case the idle needs to be adjusted upward at the throttle body screw (idle speed screw, not the throttle stop screw near the cable).
                              Regards from Oz,
                              John.

Comment

Working...
                              X