Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My one day swap and the story behind it.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My one day swap and the story behind it.

So..the story goes like this:

A few weeks ago a good friend of mine called me up to ask me if I could help out a friend of his with this Accord that he had purchased, telling me that he had bought the car in Rhode Island and it had a swap and that on his way home the owner of this newly acquired car had broken down on the side of the highway.

After flooding the motor numerous to try and start it that night,he had it towed to his house. A few days later I went over, switched my chipped p28 and my MAP harness and then started it..only to find out that he had spun a bearing and the car was completely toast.

Completely over paid for this car too.

Found a replacement A1 so I had the yard toss in the ECU with a complete harness and the owner paid $300 for it.

Unknown to me the owner of this car was an inexperienced teenager with some money to throw around, and you guys would laugh at how much this car was purchased for...in honesty I feel bad for the kid but..you get what you over pay for. A giant paperweight.

This car had an OBD II spec H22a1 including the transmission, I pulled the motor out by 11:30 am this Saturday morning, and with i-07's help (despite the fact that he was hung over from a party he had gone to the night before) we had the replacement motor (F22a1) swapped in by 5 pm by 6 everything was back together minus the fact that I think the starter is junk and it needs new lower ball joints.

This was how my Friday night was spent..

By 9pm Friday night I had the car up on stands and everything was prepped, radiator drained and removed, wheels taken off and hood removed, got as much as I could off before it started to down pour.

Saturday morning even though it was there was a small little rain storm to deal with, I kept pushing through by myself to get the the transmission out.

Had a little down time to relax for a few so I took a picture of the rear end. The rear deck shelf where the speakers were had for custom speakers installed, the back seat has built it subwoofers with a lone Sony Xplode amp controlling all six speakers including the two subwoofers.

The USDM H22 that had the unfortunate fate of being in the wrong hands..

By 10 am I had the transmission pulled, and I didn't think anything of it until I realized he had a short geared stock transmission with this motor, which meant the F22 that was going in would be a bit quicker once this was bolted to the motor, I made the unfornate mistake of telling him that the car was going to be a bit quicker with the short gears...he had NO clue about anything to do with a car but once I mentioned 'fast' his eyes lit up.

Big mistake..

I had the motor pulled by 11:45 am with what little help I had but I had to say this was allot quicker than the time I did my swap for some reason.

i-07 (Isaiah) came around 3pm and with his help we got the motor in the car in about an hour (from 4pm til 5pm) motor was in by 5 and by 5:45 we were just plugging in the harness and plugging in the emissions control box.

H22 awaits it's fate up against the fence.

I didn't really take too many pictures but yeah it speaks for itself.

But overall it was the quickest turnaround I had ever done for a swap, what made it easy was the fact that I had him buy a motor with a complete harness.

Right now it won't start due to the fact that the security system is tied into the rest of the car including ignition or it just might have a bad starter...so at some point I have to go back and get it to run. ugh lol

Here's a list of what was wrong with it:

- No subframe brace to let the motor sit on when we dropped the replacement motor in it.

- 5th gen radiator custom fitted to this car : It had sheet metal tabs that were just screwed to the core support.

- Overspray on the radius rods, calipers poorly painted

- Turn signal harness had been cut because a body kit for the front had been installed.

- No power steering but me and i-07 discovered that the pervious owner had installed a Prelude P/S Line on the rack of the car thus debunking the myth many of us on here had wondered about..the Prelude line DOES fit after all.

- Both front doors did not have the original door handles so the only way to lock and unlock the car was to use the alarm system which in itself was a completely messy install.

- Cheap eBay coil overs with no tools to adjust ride height

- Poorly painted front fenders, no real prep work was done and the previous owner must've just sprayed over the original paint because you could see the Bordeaux red paint in some parts of the fenders.

- Body kit had aluminum rods that were screwed to the body to support the out edges of the aftermarket body kit

- The trunk springs had been removed so it had to be propped up with a stick that was in the trunk.

- Brake calipers had missing boots for the pins,,and really really bad over spray on them.

The only good thing was:

The old school Motegi MR7s in chrome

The tail lamps (idgaf what anyone says..I'd rock those )

The price paid for this car?

$4,000

Oh and it turns out he admitted today that he had been doing a 125 mph racing a friend of this on the highway after buying it and from what I could figure out, he mishifted over revved the motor and spun a bearing at a high rpm.
    Last edited by HenRoc; 08-19-2012, 02:58 AM.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Send him to my shop for a alarm

Comment

This the car I had called you about. It will not start..and the alarm kept going off... I think the starter might be junk.
      Henry R
      Koni/Neuspeed
      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
        This the car I had called you about. It will not start..and the alarm kept going off... I think the starter might be junk.
        Jump the starter at the starter itself.

If it starts send him my way..

Comment

Wow.....what a waste of a h22 motor. And 4k? thats alot for a car that is not painted correctly and has a shitty alarm system.this kid was definitely blinded by power(that is now sitting on the fence)

Comment

Not for nothing not to start any trouble on here but did you give him all of these ideas on what to put on the car. It seems to me like you set him up from what your telling me.

You told him the car would be better with shorter gears,but you had him put in the f22 tranmission to a h22 motor. Then when you went to start his car. The car would be better with shorter gears with the h22. Kinda confused there buddy did you have him buy the car? or did he just tell you he brought it? Either way man he lost alot of money on that deal.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
              Not for nothing not to start any trouble on here but did you give him all of these ideas on what to put on the car. It seems to me like you set him up from what your telling me.

You told him the car would be better with shorter gears,but you had him put in the f22 tranmission to a h22 motor. Then when you went to start his car. The car would be better with shorter gears with the h22. Kinda confused there buddy did you have him buy the car? or did he just tell you he brought it? Either way man he lost alot of money on that deal.
              You misread the whole first post.

Comment

- No power steering but me and i-07 discovered that the pervious owner had installed a Prelude P/S Line on the rack of the car thus debunking the myth many of us on here had wondered about..the Prelude line DOES fit after all.
                That is THE correct way to add power steering to this swap. I thought this was a foregone conclusion.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Sprinkles after nine sweet years, I would think you'd read the WHOLE post.

You never cease to amaze me.

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                  You misread the whole first post.

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                  That is THE correct way to add power steering to this swap. I thought this was a foregone conclusion.

I had no idea, and had just had a local shop make me a custom line using the Accord line with a Prelude end.

I was like :
                  Henry R
                  Koni/Neuspeed
                  1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                  Legend FSM

Comment

Sprinkles after nine sweet years, I would think you'd read the WHOLE post.

You never cease to amaze me.

I had no idea, and had just had a local shop make me a custom line using the Accord line with a Prelude end.

I was like :
                    Yo Hencock ease up before you mispronounce names calm down son. You can keep goin ahead cracking jokes and swappin motors if thats what you do. Me on the other hand you can keep that. I hope you didnt give him any advice on what to do to his car from the looks of it it looks like frommy point of view like you gave him the wrong advice on what to do to his car maybe thats why it's broke now.
                    Last edited by h22sparkle; 08-19-2012, 10:13 PM.

Comment

4 grand?! Holy hell.

I can't even move my coupe for $2500.

Thats pretty awesome getting a swap done in a day though.

Comment

So did you guys remove the prelude PS line? Because I'm looking for an OEM one to install on my GF's coupe.
                        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Yo Hencock ease up before you mispronounce names calm down son. You can keep going ahead cracking jokes and swapping motors if that's what you do. Me on the other hand you can keep that. I hope you didn't give him any advice on what to do to his car from the looks of it it looks like frommy point of view like you gave him the wrong advice on what to do to his car maybe that's why it's broke now.
                          Wrong advice on what? He bought the replacement motor from a wrecker and I put the transmission on it..and dropped the motor in it. Yes I made the point of telling him that transmission will wake up the motor.

What he does on his own time is his problem not mine.

Frommy point of view..don't come in here and try and tell ME that I gave him shitty advice.

He bought the car..with the h22 swap already installed DID NOT know what he had and spun a bearing on it racing a friend of his on the highway, this happened the night that HE bought it. I got the call from my friend the night it happened met him after the motor blew up.

I think that you have a problem with just jumping to conclusions about what happened prior to me fixing this car. It's pretty apparent you can't understand the English language or a fucking paragraph.

Still a cocky moron..like always.

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                          So did you guys remove the prelude PS line? Because I'm looking for an OEM one to install on my GF's coupe.
                          No.
                          Henry R
                          Koni/Neuspeed
                          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                          Legend FSM

Comment

Kinda wondering why you had to remove the trans first to remove the motor....coulden't you just pulled the motor with the trans?

good timing thO!

Comment

could have bought a nice ass EM1 off me for 4k

Comment

Working...
                              X