No announcement yet.

Rilas : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is an update for Lola after about 7 junk yards. I went to 6 down in Los Angeles and 1 in Salt Lake City today. There was one more here that I wanted to go visit but after what I found today, I think there are enough car parts in the back of the Pilot for this trip.

On October 25th I found these at a few different junk yards in Los Angeles.

'99 Acura CL Charcoal Black Rear Seat Bottom (Finally!!!! I got the dust on it disregard that.)

'93 SE Coupe Spoiler LED Strip (I have a brand new in the Honda box SE Coupe spoiler, unfortunately it came with no LED strip. I can actually move forward installing it now.)

October 26th turned out to be a bust. On October 27th (my birthday) I only found the following.

'99 CL 2.3 Manual (I've only ever seen auto's I didn't even know they came in manual. I really want to see if this cluster will work in our cars. I compared it to a 6th Gen cluster and I like this one much better.)

Today I found this while wandering around the junk yard. No car, no transmission just this laying in the middle of an aisle. So I went and inquired how much a long block would be. Turns out the price was right $200 and 45 minutes of time.

So this H22A1 does need some work obviously. No manifolds, distributor, brackets for accessories, vtec solenoid. The valve cover has a crack in it. But the most important thing is, it turned over multiple times by hand. So hopefully the cylinder walls aren't shot. I don't care if the valves are bent or much else. I will rebuild this thing eventually. I really don't know what the plan for it is. I already had my motors for what my plans were.

My ultimate goal for Lola is a 200-250 hp NA SOHC Non VTEC 2.3. I already have almost every part to do this.

-F23A1 Purchased (Already disassembled. Been waiting on funds to buy the K24Z4 pistons and send it to the machine shop.)
    -Bisi Stage 2 Cam (Going to purchase Gary's custom cam from Web Cams to replace stage 2.)
    -Ported and Polished F22A Head
    -Main Bearings Purchased
    -Rod Bearings Purchased
    -OEM Seals Purchased
    -Kaizen Speed Balancer Shaft Delete Kit To Be Purchased
    -OEM Timing Belt Purchased

Engine Management To Be Purchased

Then the one motor I really had 0 hopes of having anytime soon because of the cost before shipping, more or less falls into my lap. So now I have an almost built 2.3, a perfectly running JDM F22B DOHC, junk yard H22A1, a rebuilt F22A4 with 30k miles and a few issues (all of which were self inflicted, stupid rear main seal.)

Using the H22 is so tempting though after riding in Straight Sucess's car. I'd never ridden in an H22 powered Honda before meeting up with him. It was definitely different, than the F's.

Anyway I think I should finally wrap up this long winded convoluted post. To say the least I had a good time on vacation so far and I would say overall the junk yarding was very successful.
    Last edited by Rilas; 10-30-2015, 08:27 PM.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
      I think it would be worth it man. It was great getting to hang out for a bit, while I was down in Los Angeles. Thanks for bringing out your baby, and managing to get pulled over by the cops.
      Originally posted by Rilas View Post

On October 25th I found these at a few different junk yards in Los Angeles.

'99 Acura CL Charcoal Black Rear Seat Bottom (Finally!!!! I got the dust on it disregard that.)

'93 SE Coupe Spoiler LED Strip (I have a brand new in the Honda box SE Coupe spoiler, unfortunately it came with no LED strip. I can actually move forward installing it now.)

October 26th turned out to be a bust. On October 27th (my birthday) I only found the following.

'99 CL 2.3 Manual (I've only ever seen auto's I didn't even know they came in manual. I really want to see if this cluster will work in our cars. I compared it to a 6th Gen cluster and I like this one much better.)

Today I found this while wandering around the junk yard. No car, no transmission just this laying in the middle of an aisle. So I went and inquired how much a long block would be. Turns out the price was right $200 and 45 minutes of time.

So this H22A1 does need some work obviously...

...Using the H22 is so tempting though after riding in Straight Sucess's car. I'd never ridden in an H22 powered Honda before meeting up with him. It was definitely different, than the F's.

Anyway I think I should finally wrap up this long winded convoluted post. To say the least I had a good time on vacation so far and I would say overall the junk yarding was very successful.
      It was good meeting up with you. About the pulled over incident, no harm, no fowl. I'm glad that I was able to shape your first H22 swapped Accord ride along as a good one. Next time, it'll be pulling much harder. I have a 2500+ square foot up-to-date garage at my disposal on the weekends; I think !

On another note, great finds. I can learn quite a few things from you, I'm sure.
      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
        It was good meeting up with you. About the pulled over incident, no harm, no fowl. I'm glad that I was able to shape your first H22 swapped Accord ride along as a good one. Next time, it'll be pulling much harder. I have a 2500+ square foot up-to-date garage at my disposal on the weekends; I think !

On another note, great finds. I can learn quite a few things from you, I'm sure.
        It was definitely a good ride. I certainly hope you get to put some tlc into her and make her pull all that much harder. Yet again it was great to hang out even if only for a brief period.

I know I'm still actually shocked that there is an H22A1 in the back of the Pilot. Granted I have no idea what the hell to do with it. I will get it rebuilt over the next year or so. The guys at the machine shop will love me all that much more. When I tell them there is yet another engine lined up for them. I'm tempted to get the H22 running and throw it in Lola for awhile. Will give me some more time to get the S300 purchased with all the other parts I need. But then again who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
          I like stopping in this thread every once in a while...It makes me want to do a full resto build.
          Thanks for the compliments Sonikaccord. As always the comments keep me motivated to keep plugging away. Hopefully some of it goes to help motivate you on your accord.

Comment

Nice find will! That's the easiest engine pull there is. Hopefully the rest of the parts will be just as easy to find as the h22
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
              Nice find will! That's the easiest engine pull there is. Hopefully the rest of the parts will be just as easy to find as the h22
              Thanks Nick . I took that picture after I checked the engine block code. I didn't touch it, that was exactly as it sat and the direction I walked up to it. I was in total disbelief. I was sure it was going to be a B series, only it looked a little too big. I have no idea why they left the engine but took everything else. I got the long block, flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. But I'm still kind of in shock. In all my years of searching the junk yards. I've seen one '97 Prelude that had an H22A4 but was an SH, the engine was already gone. Every other Prelude has either had an H23A or an F22A1. So to actually see my very first one in a junk yard and not even have to put any effort into pulling it. I can't even tell you how stoked I am. I still wish I knew what to do with it though. Since I bought the F22B to fill the need I had.

Comment

I enjoyed reading through this entire thread, and seeing your great attention to detail. keep it up

Question for you, when you did your manual rack conversion, did you do it on a new rack or your existing one?

Comment

Originally posted by Theos92VR4 View Post
                  I enjoyed reading through this entire thread, and seeing your great attention to detail. keep it up

Question for you, when you did your manual rack conversion, did you do it on a new rack or your existing one?
                  Thanks Theos92VR4, hopefully it was worth the time spent reading it! I've always done my manual rack conversions the rack I've pulled out of a car. Be it the one it came out of or a parts car. No need to waste a perfectly good new rack. Besides its usually the seals that go bad, and when fully greased it doesn't really matter. Might have to be redone every few years possibly but otherwise it should last forever.

Comment

Here are a few updates. I started working on the bottom half of the rear seat on Monday. I haven't finished that up, but I have a good idea of what I need now. I also checked a few small things on the H22A1.

CL Backseat

CL Bottom Half (I'm still working on getting this to follow the contour of the accord body. I've only messed with it for about 15 minutes at this point.)

H22A1 in the Garage

H22A1 Cracked Valve Cover

H22A1 Valve Cover Removed

Exhaust Camshaft

Intake Camshaft

Valve Cover Inside

H22A1 Block (Seems almost every seal was leaking.)

So at least I'm starting to get an idea of the health of this engine.

Comment

So last night I made a little more progress into determining the health of this engine.

H22A1 Head with Camshafts Removed

H22A1 Valve Train Removed

H22A1 Head

H22A1 Head Casting

H22A1 Intake Port

H22A1 Exhaust Port

H22A1 Exhaust Ports

Cylinder 1 Valves

Cylinder 2 Valves

Cylinder 3 Valves

Cylinder 4 Valves

Cylinder 1 Bent Valve

H22A1 Block and Pistons

Cylinder 1 Piston

Cylinder 2 Piston

Cylinder 3 Piston (When I took the head off this cylinder had quite a bit of water in it. As you can tell from what I think is oxidation on the FRM sleeve. I'm still not sure as some of it is coming off by picking at it lightly. A closer inspection is necessary. I've called my local machine shop that I trust about FRM sleeves, we are going to talk about them more today after work.)

Cylinder 4 Piston

Well this is what I've found so far. I still need to open up the bottom end of this block and see what things are looking like on that end. But so far it seems like this might be a promising find. Even if I end up fully rebuilding it.

Comment

Hopefully the crud in cylinder #3 can be honed and clean up. Any idea if FRM sleeves can be bored or do they have to be resleeved?

Comment

Originally posted by Flip-Eye View Post
                          Hopefully the crud in cylinder #3 can be honed and clean up. Any idea if FRM sleeves can be bored or do they have to be resleeved?
                          They can be bored or honed, there is just a special process to do it. I've found directions on how to do it on multiple sites. Including this one, so far they are all exactly the same. So I'm going to the machine shop today to see if they have the necessary equipment to work on this thing.

Here is what I've found on this process:

• Use only a rigid hone. No cheap dingle balls...lol
                          • Honing stone - GC - 600 - J or finer (for non ferrous metals)
                          • Pressure - 200 - 300 kPa (2 -3 kgf/cm2, 28 - 43 psi)
                          • Honing RPM - 45 - 50 rpm
                          • Honing thickness - Less than 0.02mm (0.0008")
                          • Honing lubricant - Oil type
                          • Honing pattern - 60° cross hatch

Do Not Hone More than 20 Cycles

CAUTION: Clean the honing stone every 5 cycles

After you're done honing, thoroughly clean the engine block of all metal/abrasives. Wash the cylinder bores with hot, soapy water, then dry and oil them immediately. Never use solvent; it will only redistribute the grit on the cylinder walls.

So if they can do this, I think I'm going to put over sized Type S pistons in this. Will give me a slight bump in power, but will also help later down the road to just have to upgrade the valve train. If I ever decide to go down that road. Also before sending the head into the machine shop I think I'm going to give it a mild port and polish on both intake and exhaust ports. I have the time and skills, might as well, free HP is never a bad thing.
                          Last edited by Rilas; 11-04-2015, 03:40 PM.

Comment

After much debate and talking with the machine shops around town, I've come to the decision to resleeve the block. Stupid stupid FRM sleeves. I've been tearing down the block and cleaning it up while I have some free time here and there. I did order a few things to get this progressing along though.

Darton H22A Sleeves w/o Flange

Nippon Racing H22A Type-S Pistons 87.5 MM

I've read a ton of reviews on these pistons and only found 2 with a bad experience. Almost everything I've read has been good. Some people are even running them with 600+ hp for 5-7 years. Hopefully I don't regret this purchase. But with oem pistons and rings being over $400, I'd try this. Since I'm already into this block $500 more than I wanted to be for the sleeves, and the machining to install them into the block. More updates later today on the progress of the block.

Comment

I'm liking what I see.
                              ~Nick~
                              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Sounds like your going all in! What's your timeline for the build?

Comment

Working...
                                X