Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Help!!! Boosted my h23a3 and it's blowing blue smoke!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming one knew everything already there is still a need for real-time experience. Trial and error, to muck around, or to simply say "I've done that". Knowing a motor will only go so far on a cheap turbo build (and building it) seems stupid, but there is an experience learned, knowledge gained, hands-on skill which is something you can't learn in a book (or on this forum).

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      There's always the guy that boosted for years on a stock block and didn't blow.
      There's always the guy that slammed his car on cut springs and stock shocks and didn't crash.
      There's always the guy that overdosed on heroin and didn't die.
      There's always the guy that rawdogged the prostitute and didn't get herpasyphilaidis.

Being the one exception does not mean it's a good idea. However, announcing that one exception will give a moron reason to do something stupid, even when there are a dozen others providing good reasons not to. Just one "it's OK" will counteract a dozen "don't do it!"s
      Gotta admire the mans way of thinking here.
      Jay
      HondaLina
      91' Accord EX R JDM H22A

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
        We like to refer to them as "that guy", and yeah there's ALWAYS one of them....
        More then one.

DD 200 km a day for about 2 years at 15+ psi on a stock 350,000km Tercel engine

But then again, I guess I'm "cheap, lazy, uneducated" so what do I know LOL
        Last edited by AstroVannin; 04-14-2012, 07:04 PM.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
        dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
          see im opposite..id rather learn the hard way...thats why i have 2 cars..my toy and the family ride..i knew what was gonna happen sonner or later when i boosted my car..in fact i did it just because i was the first one in ct that i know of with a boosted accord...not saying that im the first but at this point in time i am.even tho its like half of a 4 banger at the moment its still quick.still swattin turbo civics and tegs...
          You sure did.

Remember the time you crashed you car after your rear brakes locked up.

So you'd rather waste time, money, and effort doing something the wrong way? What benefit is there to doing that?
          It seems to be the case Deev.

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
          actually learning how things work being able to educate others like i did in my video with samples...for the fact that i wanted to..dont mean to be a dick.but its my money and time and i can spend it how i see fit,i do how ever see your point of argument and i agree 100% but i still have my reasons why i did it my way.
          No offense..but yeah I think we all learned from your mistakes.

- When test driving a car, make sure everything is intact that includes brake lines.

- When test driving a car...remember, don't be stupid and do it on a public road. Do in a safer environment and invest in a GoPro with a mount and NOT hold the camera with your hands.

- Oh and save the coin and build the motor right the first time around so you're not blowing motors left and right due to simple 'bolt on' kits. Yeah we've seen people just run stock internals while boosted last a few years..but I would think inspecting the motor before hand would really take away the worrying part of the build.

Nough said.
          Henry R
          Koni/Neuspeed
          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
            Assuming one knew everything already there is still a need for real-time experience. Trial and error, to muck around, or to simply say "I've done that". Knowing a motor will only go so far on a cheap turbo build (and building it) seems stupid, but there is an experience learned, knowledge gained, hands-on skill which is something you can't learn in a book (or on this forum).
            The point isn't to learn EVERYTHING by reading. The point is to learn from the mistakes of others, from the experience of others, and from the knowledge of others (because there is ALWAYS someone who knows more than you do about SOMETHING.)

Trial and error is great when doing something that has never been done before, or has been done so rarely that documentation is scarce. Experience is fantastic, and you're right, "book smarts" simply can't replace experience.
            However, there is absolutely NO sensible reason why someone should ignore proven information because they've never done it themselves. When 2 dozen people say they have blown a stock block, or known someone that has, and one or two people say they've done it successfully (at least for a time)... and someone believes that they're going to have the same luck as that minority? That's just stupid.

And yes, the guys that have done it the wrong way always brag about how they did it, as if they were somehow special, rather than lucky. Those that brag get upset when the dozens that have evidence saying otherwise speak up, as if 10 broken ringlands are an insult to their far-superior stock block.
            The guys that brag about it are the ones that the cheap/lazy/uneducated people tend to follow.

Originally posted by AstroVannin View Post
            More then one.

DD 200 km a day for about 2 years at 15+ psi on a stock 350,000km Tercel engine

But then again, I guess I'm "cheap, lazy, uneducated" so what do I know LOL
            Luck doesn't make you smart.
            And we're not talking about Tercels here. I have no idea how their internals are made, nor do I care. I don't think you're an idiot for boosting your Tercel. I think you're an idiot for believing that such a comment matters in this thread.

Carry on.

Comment

ANY boost is too much for a stock motor.
              You made a general statment, I was just pointing out that you were wrong... thats ok though

You just dont know what you're talking about, and thats fine too. Lack of of experience can do that.

Also ... Ive been "lucky"(as you put it) on about 4 of those builds now, at some point it stops seeming like luck.
              Last edited by AstroVannin; 04-14-2012, 07:51 PM.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
              dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

I made a general statement in a thread discussing H and F series motors, on a site about cars that are equipped with H and F series motors. If you want to use your "general statement" logic to apply to other engines, then why not throw a stock 2JZ-GTE in my face?

How many F/H motors have you boosted with perfect reliability? If none of your builds are applicable to this discussion, then your argument holds no weight.

Comment

You're right again Deev. But please don't tell me what "the points" are again. You know I've educated myself, learned from as many people as possible, have a strong turbo H build on the way and agree with you 100% on your statements. You know this already. I got your point the first time, I was just shedding light on another point.

So when you were "once one of those people myself... and I paid dearly for it." were you cheap, lazy or uneducated or just had a toy to play with?

Comment

I can only laugh as I've seen this type of stuff happen a lot over the past few years. It's hilarious now that I think about it. I've heard many members mention in a thread, "don't do this 'cause the effects are bad." People still do it, and learn the hard way.

I've heard Mike and several others members state "don't cheap on suspension components or cambers kits..."

I took heed, and went the SPC route. I've encounter no problems.

On Tire Rack, I've heard several people say don't by Continental DWS tires. They'll blow soon as you hit a pothole (this is after I ordered them). They've been holding up fine, and that bad thought I once had is drifting further away as a problem in my mind.

It's good to be able to avoid mistakes if one can learn from other's experiences. However, people will tell you time and time again, this is still a forum, and people do have opinions. It's the popular consensus that should hold the most weight, but always doesn't as expressed in this thread already.

Going back to the OP, I've never boosted a stock block, nor do I plan to. However, I'm in the works of preparing for an all motor build with a huge shot. I've read some of the common problems encounter when spraying, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to listen to problems encounter. This hobby gets expensive quick.

My motto is, use simple logic. 1 person saying it's bad. Too many factors to consider. 10 people, ehhhh, I'll listen to the popular consensus.
                    Last edited by Straight Success; 04-14-2012, 08:45 PM.
                    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                      You're right again Deev. But please don't tell me what "the points" are again. You know I've educated myself, learned from as many people as possible, have a strong turbo H build on the way and agree with you 100% on your statements. You know this already. I got your point the first time, I was just shedding light on another point.

So when you were "once one of those people myself... and I paid dearly for it." were you cheap, lazy or uneducated or just had a toy to play with?
                      I was all three.
                      I bought a cheap clutch, and was too cheap/lazy to get an OEM Honda throwout bearing, even though it was somewhat known then that the bearings that come with the cheap clutches are garbage. My throwout bearing seized 2 hours from my home. I managed to drive my car home without using the clutch. At that time, I wasn't aware exactly HOW bad XTD clutch kits really were (more research would have revealed it, though the majority of the people using them on this site said they were great... they all seemed to fail around the same time!)

I also bough a cheap camber kit. It broke at rush hour, while I was going 65mph in the left lane. 2mm of metal kept me from losing control. Why? Because I trusted the minority that said cheap kits are fine, not the majority that said there's a reason the quality kits cost 3x as much!

I may not know everything about cars, but I do know a thing or two about common sense.

Comment

I know someone on this forum that had a Brand new stock F22A1 and broke a ringland in about 10,000kms. (Any before anyone jumps on the other wagon - It wasn't due to poor tuning)

Fact is: It happens - New or used, Young and dumb, or Old and Wise.
                        Or any combination of them.

OEM Honda F22Ax, H22Ax, H23Ax, pistons were not designed for turbo applications.

It's a reality; live with it or deal with it.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                          I know someone on this forum that had a Brand new stock F22A1 and broke a ringland in about 10,000kms. (Any before anyone jumps on the other wagon - It wasn't due to poor tuning)

Fact is: It happens - New or used, Young and dumb, or Old and Wise.
                          Or any combination of them.

OEM Honda F22Ax, H22Ax, H23Ax, pistons were not designed for turbo applications.

It's a reality; live with it or deal with it.
                          This coming from a person that DID run a stock block turbo successfully for a decent period of time, correct?

Comment

This coming from a person that DID run a stock block turbo successfully for a decent period of time, correct?
                            Didn't he also boost a carb'd engine too....?
                            Originally posted by Mishakol129
                            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Correct, on a Brand new stock block for about 10,000kms . . . Till it broke a ringland, Swapped in another Brand new block . . .
                                Nek minnit . . .

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                                Didn't he also boost a carb'd engine too....?
                                Correct.
                                With the same end result as my "old" Brand New F22

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X