Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUSP : 5-lug conversion (the all-prelude way)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holy crap, i just found a 97 lude with a fresh h22 for 1700! the trouble is, they want 1700 for the engine, and almost nothing for the body. i am planning on buying the parts to do this tomorrow or the next day, so i will see what i can do!

if anyone wants an h22, fresh watanbe in california, for about 1700, let me know!
    Last edited by steelbluesleepR; 01-07-2008, 12:54 AM.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by mayberry
      2.It is 100% possible to press out the lude ball joint and put in an accord unit on the lude knuckle.
      I DONT think that would work...
      Last edited by JaK FRoSTWhiTE; 02-06-2008, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE
        I think that would work...
        i was under the understanding that this would not work.

i forget why though.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]

i forget why though.
          Originally posted by BustedLX
          I'll add that the reason people swap over the 5th gen lude's lower crossmember is because they use the 5th gen's lower control arms to accomodate the larger ball joint.

Personally the expanding our smaller lower control arm with a grinder or whatever is a rig. I wouldn't do it. If it IS possible to press out the Prelude's lower ball joint and replace it with ours then I would deffinately do that for two reasons.

A) It would make the swap easier because of the less parts to change (lower crossmember, control arms, etc.)

B) The Preludes lower ball joint according to Honda is not replaceable, you have to purchase the entrie knuckle sooooo that blows.

If you can press out the ball joint and swap it that's a plus... but if you think about it.... then that's as much if not more work then just grabbing Odyssey parts.

It is great that you have presented this option... and for those who have access to the parts cheap that's good. But on the norm... 5th gen Prelude parts from the junkyard are pretty costly, whereas Odyssey and 2nd gen Legend stuff is a dime a dozen. Atleast the parts we would need.

Anyhow I look forward to the pictures, keep up the good work.
          Gary A.K.A. Carter
          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
            if you read what jose said, he didnt confirm anything at all, only posed the same question.

Current cars:

Comment

if you read what jose said, he didnt confirm anything at all, only posed the same question.
              Well, I was still under the impression that the Lude ball joint was not replaceable.

Honestly though, the Odyssey front is the absolute best way to go about this.
              Gary A.K.A. Carter
              [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

yea the odyssey front is best for not making the LCA hole suit the 19mm ball joint. BUT if you want to go prelude then you have to make the hole on the CB LCA bigger. hence this thread for ALL PRELUDE WAY 5 LUG.

havent done any pictures and it looks like i wont :-(

the write up is as detailed as can be.

If I ever get a hold of a stock LCA and a die grinder I will gladly take pictures of what to do.

Maury

oh btw this setup has been fine since i swapped, so no problems to my LCA its been 2 3/4 years.

Comment

I can't belelive its been that long already.
                  Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

i forget why though.
                    Yes, you're right.
                    I just edited myself.

I pressed out the Lude lower ball joint and popped the Accord one on there.
                    The Accord one dances inside the Lude knuckle.

So to confirm this. NO! YOU CANNOT FIT AN ACCORD LOWER BALLJOINT

The Accord LCA has to be oversized to fit the prelude 19mm

I will take pictures tomorrow.

Comment

this is very interesting, so after reading correct me if i am wrong.

For the front you can use the ludes UCA, caliber, rotor, knuckle and i would have to buy a 95 accor driver side axle. Would have to use a bit to widen the LCA. So is the lude axle nut a 32mm or a 36mm like ours?

Then for the back i would need the lude knuckle and hub and ITR rotors with accord ex calibers?

Sorry if i am repeating questions i just wanted to clarify
                      ~Nick~
                      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93

For the front you can use the ludes UCA, caliber, rotor, knuckle and i would have to buy a 95 accor driver side axle. Would have to use a bit to widen the LCA. So is the lude axle nut a 32mm or a 36mm like ours?

Then for the back i would need the lude knuckle and hub and ITR rotors with accord ex calibers?

yes that is correct. The prelude axle nut is 36mm.

Comment

front is correct, youll also need a 5th gen accord or a prelude intermediate shaft.

for the rear, you will use stock accord rear disc knuckles, just with the prelude hub and bearing mounted on them. then you can use the ITR rotors and accord calipers.

Current cars:

Comment

From your statement grumpy things are kind of mixed up.

For the front you need to use the ACCORD UCA and LCA. The LCA has to be widened to fit the 19mm lower ball joint..

the only thing you use for the PRELUDE is the knuckle, rotor, and caliper.

our axle nut for the front is 36mm so it does not change whether its lude or cb.

The axle has to be accord 94-95 ex lx dx whatever you want 5spd driver side axle. If the car is automatic then i believe the automatic cd axle can work also as i looked up part numbers for the cb and cd and they are different in length. (dont take my word on this tho)

now for the intermediate shaft it can be any accord one cd or cb both are the same. i have compared this personally.

For the rear 5lug yes mike is correct. ex trailing arms with rear disc. just take out the hub/bearing assembly from 4 lug. put the prelude 5th gen 5 lug hub/bearing assembly put the ITR rotor then put it all back together and you set.

any more info needed just let me know.

oh yea been running my setup strong since the swap from may of 2005!!!
                            Last edited by excalibur02; 02-10-2008, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02
                              The axle has to be accord 94-95 ex lx dx whatever you want 5spd driver side axle. If the car is automatic then i believe the automatic cd axle can work also as i looked up part numbers for the cb and cd and they are different in length. (dont take my word on this tho)

now for the intermediate shaft it can be any accord one cd or cb both are the same. i have compared this personally.

For the rear 5lug yes mike is correct. ex trailing arms with rear disc. just take out the hub/bearing assembly from 4 lug. put the prelude 5th gen 5 lug hub/bearing assembly put the ITR rotor then put it all back together and you set.

any more info needed just let me know.

oh yea been running my setup strong since the swap from may of 2005!!!
                              Just to add to that...

If you have a 92-93 EX CB (91 SE, 93 10thAnniv) make sure you get a 94-97 EX CD drivers axle.
                              Thats because the 92-93 EX came with ABS and only the 94-97 EX CD came with the ABS.
                              (Some LX's came with ABS and rear disc, they'll ask you if you want the ABS axle
                              Just say EX to be on the safe side.)
                              Like that both axles are the same and you wont get a ABS light.

If you have a 90-91 EX or 90-93 DX/LX i guess it doesnt matter.
                              You can get a Non-ABS axle.

Comment

ok i have a lx i am sorted new to the 5 lug swap and i really wanan do it so right now its a lx and i have no rear disk do i have to do rear disk conversion ? or can i jus get the parts and install when i do the 5 bolt conversion? and wat parts do i need on top off the 5 bolt to make rear disk
                                GasOrAss?

www.club5252.com

Comment

Working...
                                X