I really don't want to sell my cb7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't want to sell my cb7

For the past 8 years, the plan for my Accord has been for it to have the cleanest Accord engine bay in the world. I REALLY wanted that to happen. I still want that to happen, but life has happened.

Back when I started my Accord project, I was in college and living at my mom's house. It was stored there indefinitely and I had a golden setup. I've not lived there for three years and I moved my car into a storage unit around a year ago.

I currently live in an apartment 200 miles away from my car in a place with no available covered parking. My plan was to never sell the accord and make accommodations for it whenever and wherever we moved. That not really on the cards anymore.

I guess this is a long way of saying someone should either buy my Accord, or talk me out of selling it. I never wanted to be the member that sold his pride and joy, but I guess now I might be.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

imagine having to do all that work over again lol

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
    01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
    93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
    93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Is it not possible to move it closer to you? I would think you have storage places far closer to were you live now. My reason for not getting rid of my car is I know I will never get the time and money back from selling it. Plus I have no clue when I would be able to get into another project car and would rather not get rid of something I put some much work into without being able to move into something else.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

cars are a dime a dozen. happiness is priceless. if your "fun hobby" has turned into your curse than sell that bitch and move on. seriously.

be happy or ??? I dunno what the other option is but it doesn't seem worth talking about.
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Yea if its a financial burden and causing more pain then joy to hold on to then it may not be worth it.

Comment

There is always a way if you can make it happen. Rent a shop space near you, move into a place with a garage space, friend hookup, etc etc.

My situation with my Accord is a bit different. I've got shop space 10 steps from my front door, but now I've got other projects stacked up and after having drove/modded the car for 10 years and 180k miles, I kinda want to experience more of the automotive world than just Honda Accords from the 90's lol. With the possibility of the Accord project not happening for several years, it's time to move on. It sucks coming to that conclusion after investing much time and effort..
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
              I kinda want to experience more of the automotive world than just Honda Accords from the 90's lol. With the possibility of the Accord project not happening for several years, it's time to move on. It sucks coming to that conclusion after investing much time and effort..
              This. It's even worse when someone else make the decision for you. There are a whole plethora of other projects and project cars you can tackle. Don't limit yourself to only one make our model. Life changes and you must adapt...or become strong (in multiple ways) enough to adapt life to your changes.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Rust really made the ultimate decision for me. The 1/4 panels were toast after driving it year round for so long. So I parked it and bought a car I've been dreaming of getting for years, which turned out to be a great choice and I've owned and sold several vehicles in the past 3 years that I've wanted to play with and have fun doing it.
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I think there are two factors to consider.

The first is that in its current condition, it's essentially worthless. Unless I'm wrong, it's still engineless, correct? You've done a lot of fantastic work on it, but unless you put it back together, you're going to sell it for little more than scrap value. Selling it will likely be difficult, because you'll have to find a buyer that has the means and desire to transport and store it.

Second, coming from personal experience... you haven't driven it in ages. Put it back together so that it's driveable. Then drive it. Make your decision then. If you drive it and don't feel the love you once felt, sell it. If you drive it and decide you still love it, find a way to make it work. Treat it as a daily. You can fit plenty of camera equipment in the back of it, especially if you yank the seat!
                  My plan was to get my car back on the road this past Spring, drive it, and decide if I wanted to continue the project or move on. The idiot junkie that destroyed it in December made that decision for me, sadly. In some ways, it's nice to have moved on from a project that had gotten to be too demanding in terms of time and/or money, especially for the space I had.

So, get it put back together so it can be driven. You'll know better if you want to keep it or part with it once you've driven it again. If you want to part with it, you'll have a MUCH easier time selling it in driveable condition.

Comment

very true

Comment

When you know, you know.

I planned on selling my Accord prior to the crazy rust repair I did. I started parting out and looking for Preludes and Integras. Unfortunately circumstances changed and those cars were out of my budget. I went back and built up the Accord and loved it, but it was never the same prior to my decision.

I loved my Toyota Xtracab and had so much fun building it up. It was the vehicle I wanted even before I purchased my Accord and something I coveted for years. I was facing a $3,000 engine repair and a failed inspection so I sold it for what I paid and looked back with fond memories. I knew it was time to part with it.

I sold my STi the day I got it out of storage. I noticed a small almost imperceptible spot that looked like the start of rust on the quarter panel and knew I didn't want to fix it. If the motor blew up I didn't want to fix it. Again the time passed and the love was gone. You truly know.

My Tacoma on the other hand that got wrecked by an idiot who couldn't stay in his own lane...

What I'm saying is deep down you know the right answer. Go with your gut, it won't steer you wrong. You are in the wrong place to ask if you should keep the car. You have a group of die hard enthusiasts who don't care the cost, time, or effort to keep these cars alive, but they aren't in your shoes.

I look at my new car which has so much that needs to be fixed, repaired, or improved to bring it where I want it to be and I'm excited, I'm not dreading it. If you don't have that excitement, and it doesn't come back super easily, that's your answer.

You aren't the same person you were in college, you can't be expected to have the same priorities. That's not to say you should be a boring adult who only reads the Wall Street Journal, just that you may view things differently, and there's nothing wrong with that. Selling a car you care about isn't a failure. Speaking from experience it's a lot easier to look at something fondly from afar. I miss my old Accord, sure and look at photos when it was finished and was in love with it and kick myself for not rebuilding post accident, but the. I remember all the flaws and things wrong.

Although, it did help me make a wise dating decision and that has forever changed my life for the better.

Comment

Thanks for the words, guys.

full disclosure, I wrote this while drunk last night.

I'm not going to sell the car, at least not yet. I'm going to be working with a friend to get it running within the next couple of months. My last couple of times "working" on it was mostly spent just looking at things and figuring out what I need to do. Having all of the parts there and having someone to give me motivation and skills should make it much easier to finish.

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
                        Yea if its a financial burden and causing more pain then joy to hold on to then it may not be worth it.
                        It's really not a financial burden, just a nagging thing in the back of my mind and a source of some good-natured ribbing from my friends.

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
                        Is it not possible to move it closer to you? I would think you have storage places far closer to were you live now. My reason for not getting rid of my car is I know I will never get the time and money back from selling it. Plus I have no clue when I would be able to get into another project car and would rather not get rid of something I put some much work into without being able to move into something else.
                        I moved from a small town to St. Louis, and prices are far different. I'm paying $60/month for a 10x30 storage unit back in the small town that I used to live in. I priced out storage units up to 50 miles away from where I live now, and the cheapest I could find for that size was around $300/month, which I absolutely cannot afford. Once it's drivable and legal, I can just throw a car cover on it and keep it in my apartment's parking lot.

My wife and I are planning on traveling/working for six months or so and moving to either LA or NYC after that, so I'll figure out what to do with it when that comes up.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I know exactly how you feel. I never thought the day would come when I finally started parting out my car. It was a really sad day for me. I really cant believe I did it, and still going through it. When its time, its time. I knew I wouldnt have it forever... and many may attempt to, but its just unlikely.

I completely understand my friend. Priorities first. We'll never forget our roots and the OGs that helped lift this community up.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

"Life/family happened" is exactly why I'm building a wagon. It comes with room for me to grow, but still allows for fun.

If simply keeping your project around isn't costing you anything, the few hundred dollars a shell is worth won't help you in the long run. Put it on the back burner when money gets tight, then inch along with it when you can. My engine build is taking so long because things keep coming up, but I know when it's stupid to spend money on it, so I don't. It'll get done eventually, and even without owning a CB I'm no less motivated now than the day I pulled it out of my old sedan four years ago. Feels corny as hell to say, but my heart is in this project, so I find ways to make it fit in my life without sacrificing myself to do it. If I have to move to a cheaper nearby city just to have some sort of space that allows me to park a 'dead' car, I don't mind a bit of a commute. I keep the daily reliable.

Why are you moving to LA or NYC, though? Both are infamous for high costs of living. Limitations with both of your jobs?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                              "Life/family happened" is exactly why I'm building a wagon. It comes with room for me to grow, but still allows for fun.

If simply keeping your project around isn't costing you anything, the few hundred dollars a shell is worth won't help you in the long run. Put it on the back burner when money gets tight, then inch along with it when you can. My engine build is taking so long because things keep coming up, but I know when it's stupid to spend money on it, so I don't. It'll get done eventually, and even without owning a CB I'm no less motivated now than the day I pulled it out of my old sedan four years ago. Feels corny as hell to say, but my heart is in this project, so I find ways to make it fit in my life without sacrificing myself to do it. If I have to move to a cheaper nearby city just to have some sort of space that allows me to park a 'dead' car, I don't mind a bit of a commute. I keep the daily reliable.

Why are you moving to LA or NYC, though? Both are infamous for high costs of living. Limitations with both of your jobs?
                              I'm in the exact same boat as you and luckily I have a garage at my home to keep it stored while I wait for life to catch up.

Comment

Working...
                              X