Flip up front in CB's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flip up front in CB's!

Alright, so I have recently seen a CB accord front end on a CA Accord. Looks like it fit well and the car did not seem to have any other custom work done to it.

This got my thinking

Has anyone either done this, or are there any photos, of a CA5 front on a CB accord?

Thanks!!
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
    Alright, so I have recently seen a CB accord front end on a CA Accord. Looks like it fit well and the car did not seem to have any other custom work done to it.

This got my thinking

Has anyone either done this, or are there any photos, of a CA5 front on a CB accord?

Thanks!!
    That seems it would be more trouble than its worth. Unless the person had a die hard urge to downgrade to a previous chassis of the same model. The civic guys have it more better than us because a majority of the time at least for the 92-00 models, all it took was a fender,hood,headlights and depending how far of a jump in year done, radiator support and there you go a upgraded or downgraded frontend.

For us the only cars that would be a formidable swap would be the Acura Vigor/Inspire/Ascot because they are built around the same boxy shape. The Accord Inspire/Ascot especially is a bastardized CB7 chassis with a Vigor front end. The KA Acura Legend might work if the bumper/fender/hood are chopped and shaved "accordingly" but In my opinion, the Inspire & Ascot headlamps would look the best because you can get away with just plugging in the headlights and just modifying the hood and grille only. You could shape the corner section of our fender more like one OG member did, but I've tried a Ascot/Vigor and although they have a sharper corner you can get away with not modding your fenders.

For our car to receive popup headlamps, you would have to factor in modifying the hood and making clearance for the square lamps themselves. How would you fill in the gap for the bumper/radiator support? If a downgraded previous chassis mod were to be done, I would settle more for the JDM one-piece headlamp version headlamps for the same car. That would still need to be molded in however it would probably take less work. The hood is another thing to look at as well. Our hood sloops down and is more rounded than the CA chassis which is more straight cut square. The "eyelids" of the headlamps would need to be rounded to match the contours of our hood otherwise it would look weird not being flush.

I imagine the light output is crap on the flip ups unless a HID conversion is done. There are members on 3G boards that opt to rid their flip ups for a projectors.

This guy did the CB upgrade I think you are talking about. Defintely a modded bumper (fiberglass SF2 style) and custom cut hood and fenders. I bet he did something to the radiator support to bolt in the headlights as well. This probably worked more in favor of that chassis because the JDM counterpart had a 1piece fixed headlamp design as well.

You can look at his hood and tell he used a CB7 hood and probably trimmed the edges to fit. The hood is rounded and sits higher above the CA accord fenders he probably trimmed because you can see the matching bodylines of the CA still running all the way from the front to back.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
    JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
    1994 Prelude V-Tec
    1999 CL 3.0
    2000 Prelude
    2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
    1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
    1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
    1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

Unfortunately, that's not the car I'm talking about, and I don't have s photo of the one I SSW before, sorry.

Thank you for the excellent response.

I've been planning it out, and I think if I widen the centre of the front slightly, i should be able to do it. I'm going to get proper measurements from a few 3g guys down here.
      sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
        Unfortunately, that's not the car I'm talking about, and I don't have s photo of the one I SSW before, sorry.

Thank you for the excellent response.

I've been planning it out, and I think if I widen the centre of the front slightly, i should be able to do it. I'm going to get proper measurements from a few 3g guys down here.
        No worries! Good luck with your project man! It's great to see something new and different on this message board! That was the only older accord I've seen with that conversion done. If I wanted to do something extreme though, i'd probably shave the fixed headlights entirely and try to do a flush style headlight like the older gen RX7 and Miata guys do. I think that would be a slightly easier thing to do than modding 2 more items (fenders and bumper) to accommodate the different chassis headlights.

I think cutting a hole out for the fixed flush headlights would almost be a drop in affair if headlamps can be found that fit with the contours of our hoodline. Of course the size and shape would make a difference in how much of the radiator support needs to be cut. Also have to relocate or move the battery, power steering, cruise control etc that may hinder the housing.

There was a guy on this board that added material to his stock hood to make his headlamps look angry like what the VW guys do. If the headlights were totally deleted then flipups or fixed fush headlights may look like they came stock.

Either way go for it pimpin!

Adding this would just probably involve

I am the Yakuza CB7!
        JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
        1994 Prelude V-Tec
        1999 CL 3.0
        2000 Prelude
        2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
        1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5