Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

91 DX idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 DX idle

Hi, I recently picked up a 91 Accord DX and it is idling weird. The car starts and runs very well, but at idle it revs up then drops over an over again. Does anyone know what could be causing this? The previous owner told me the distributor might be bad, could that be the issue?

It's a very common problem. So common, in fact, that the methods of fixing it can be found in the thread stuck at the top of this section that says "read here first".

Comment

Y
      Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      It's a very common problem. So common, in fact, that the methods of fixing it can be found in the thread stuck at the top of this section that says "read here first".
      Search and ye shall find

It could be a number of things ranging from a clogged fuel filter to a bad tps to anything else.

Use the search function and type in "idle fluctuation" and start reading.
      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

No search needed. It's right in that thread stuck at the top. We made it easy, since the search function pretty much sucks!

Comment

The search function actually works pretty decent. I found a bunch of answers quickly that way.

The stickies are great too

Any problem with a cb7 can be solved on this site.

To quote the mountain dew commercials

"Been there done that"

Comment

Thanks, I glanced at that, but I didn't think it would have such a specific issue fix.

No search needed. It's right in that thread stuck at the top. We made it easy, since the search function pretty much sucks!
            I hear ya, search on vBulletin forums is horrid...

So I checked out that thread and took a look at my car. I hadn't really checked out the engine bay because I have been busy the last week, but I got a chance after work today and, uh, yeah, the pics may explain better than I can.

The hose going to the thermostat housing was cracked and ripped, I tugged at it a bit and it tore off exposing a rusty barb filled with crap.

While I was checking out the above issue, I found this:

I have no idea if there is suppose to be a hose on it, but it was just chilling, open and such. Is there suppose to be something hooked up to it?

Lastly, there was a hose coming off the throttle body (?) with a screw plugging it... Where is it suppose to go?!?!

After looking at all of this I am suprised the car runs... I am going to grab a new thermostat housing and some new hoses and hopefully everything will be good.

Comment

No hose on that vertical tube. That's just a breather tube.

But yeah, definitely get a new thermostat housing. That may have been responsible for your idle issues, honestly. Especially if air had managed to get into your cooling system. Once you replace everything, be sure to do a full flush and rebleeding of the cooling system. That may fix your problem.

Comment

i don't know about reading all the pdf's and online manuals but if u go to a used book store and look for a haynes or chilton manual i bet u can get one for .25 cents like i did. and then you will be able to reconnect all your coolant hoses and vacuum lines correctly like i did. and if after bleeding and flushing the coolant system still doesn't resolve the issue then you can try all the other missions on the wild goose chase that is "Finding the Cause for the Erratic Idle".

Comment

Though a Haynes or Chiltons manual would be good for cheap... they're still garbage. A Helm manual will make things SO much easier.

Comment

[QUOTE=deevergote;3137814]Though a Haynes or Chiltons manual would be good for cheap... they're still garbage. A Helm manual will make things SO much easier.[/QUOTE

not to Hijack this guys thread or anything but can you please very briefly explain to both the OP and I why so?

Comment

Originally posted by Guero112 View Post

not to Hijack this guys thread or anything but can you please very briefly explain to both the OP and I why so?
                      I own all 3.

The Helm manual is the official Honda shop manual. EVERY diagram, every torque spec, every part number... all 100% correct.

The Haynes manual is slapped together by mechanics that are not experts on these cars (a member here actually knew the guy who wrote the book... said he halfassed EVERYTHING!) The info is detailed in some places, sketchy in others. It's good for basics, and probably fine for most things, but not a great book.

The Chiltons manual is absolutely worthless. It covers Preludes and Accords from 1984 to 1995. That means it covers three generations of Prelude (some 4ws), and four generations of Accord (sedan, coupe, hatchback, and wagon models). It covers the ES2, A18A, BT/A20A (both carb'd and fuel injected), B20A, B21A, F22A, F22B1/2, H22A1, H23A1, and C27A4 V6.
                      So yeah... that's a shit ton of "similar" cars to cram into a single book.

Comment

that vertical tube is only a breather and the hose plug with bolt is a vacuum line. it's better to start with thermostat, get a new one. Don't forget to flush and re-bleed your cooling system also tighten the plastic lock inside the FITV.
                        私はフィリピン人

Comment

Originally posted by tb13 View Post
                          Thanks, I glanced at that, but I didn't think it would have such a specific issue fix.

I hear ya, search on vBulletin forums is horrid...

So I checked out that thread and took a look at my car. I hadn't really checked out the engine bay because I have been busy the last week, but I got a chance after work today and, uh, yeah, the pics may explain better than I can.

The hose going to the thermostat housing was cracked and ripped, I tugged at it a bit and it tore off exposing a rusty barb filled with crap.

While I was checking out the above issue, I found this:

I have no idea if there is suppose to be a hose on it, but it was just chilling, open and such. Is there suppose to be something hooked up to it?

Lastly, there was a hose coming off the throttle body (?) with a screw plugging it... Where is it suppose to go?!?!

After looking at all of this I am suprised the car runs... I am going to grab a new thermostat housing and some new hoses and hopefully everything will be good.
                          The vacuem line with the bolt in it I believe goes to the missing intake tube just before it connects to your intake manifold same as the 1/2"pcv tube below your hand in the photo from the valve cover.

Comment

I own all 3.

The Helm manual is the official Honda shop manual. EVERY diagram, every torque spec, every part number... all 100% correct.

The Haynes manual is slapped together by mechanics that are not experts on these cars (a member here actually knew the guy who wrote the book... said he halfassed EVERYTHING!) The info is detailed in some places, sketchy in others. It's good for basics, and probably fine for most things, but not a great book.

The Chiltons manual is absolutely worthless. It covers Preludes and Accords from 1984 to 1995. That means it covers three generations of Prelude (some 4ws), and four generations of Accord (sedan, coupe, hatchback, and wagon models). It covers the ES2, A18A, BT/A20A (both carb'd and fuel injected), B20A, B21A, F22A, F22B1/2, H22A1, H23A1, and C27A4 V6.
                            So yeah... that's a shit ton of "similar" cars to cram into a single book.
                            get the helm manual and you will be good with your repairs. be prepared though,it's a bit pricey but worth every penny

Comment

You can occasionally find them used on ebay, craigslist, and forums.
                              I picked up my 94 Prelude manual (for my H22A) from a member here for less than half the original price.

The Helm manual is so well written, I used to sit on the can and read it. It's so clear, you can learn how to work on things without actually even having your hands on them!

Anyone who owns a Helm manual will tell you... it's quite possibly the best tool they own.

Comment

Working...
                              X