Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

GMB Ebay Timing belt kit opinons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GMB Ebay Timing belt kit opinons

So I need too do a timing belt on my 96 LX and I last used the Continental brand kit on my CB7 when that needed one, so who here has or is using this GMB kit? Anyone think it is too cheap? Anyone had problems with it? How long have these been out? Long enough that if thyey sucked we would by now? Thanks in advance!!
    " Insert funny quote here "

I've used the goodyear, dayco, and sealed power kits with no problems. I think the last two timing belt jobs I did (90 Teg, 95 ex), I used the goodyear gatorbelt kits. They're inexpensive and both cars have driven about 30k each with no problems.

Comment

Cool thank you did you find those kits on ebay or somewhere else? I know my continetal kit seemed to work fine and was nice rubber but it also is more exspenive then this GMB kit and the GMB kit comes complete ready too install I also only was able too put like 12000 miles on that continental kit so who knows if it would last 7 years

Comment

Originally posted by spiderpig View Post
        Cool thank you did you find those kits on ebay or somewhere else? I know my continetal kit seemed to work fine and was nice rubber but it also is more exspenive then this GMB kit and the GMB kit comes complete ready too install I also only was able too put like 12000 miles on that continental kit so who knows if it would last 7 years
        I've never bought any parts I considered critical from eBay. I don't generally like to buy parts there, because I never know quality.

Comment

You can buy quality parts on ebay, but you have to be careful. Be sure that the parts are legitimate. You don't want some cheap Chinese-produced part that was just made to look like an authentic brand name. You don't want a genuine part that has been sitting in a warehouse since 1996.

Honestly, given the fact that the F22A is an interference engine, you'd be wise to use the highest quality timing belt you can find (directly from Honda is never a bad idea.) You'd probably be smart to replace the tensioner while you're at it.
          If the tensioner or the belt fails, your engine is toast. A new engine is going to cost far more than a quality belt!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Honestly, given the fact that the F22A is an interference engine, you'd be wise to use the highest quality timing belt you can find (directly from Honda is never a bad idea.) You'd probably be smart to replace the tensioner while you're at it.
            If the tensioner or the belt fails, your engine is toast. A new engine is going to cost far more than a quality belt!
            I agree. I usually buy the kits that come with the belt and tensioner. And for what it's worth, I always change out the water pump, but that's just me.

Comment

Changing the water pump is always a good idea, agreed. Again, that's another thing that is best purchased from Honda.

In fact, ANYTHING that will destroy the engine very quickly if it fails is something I would get from Honda, unless it's a significant performance upgrade (and in that case, I'd prefer to get known quality brands.)

Comment

I see what your saying guys but Honda OEM parts are not very affordable for me and for what I see GMB is made in USA and has some positive reviews also I plan on changing out water pump and tensioner along with all seals and things as well. I cannot believe no one on here has used the GMB kit either on a cb7 or another car Honda parts seemed very overpriced too me

Comment

Its understanding that you do not have the money but oem is always the best way when it comes to the belts and water pump
                  To jdm or not jdm that is the question

Comment

GMB makes a decent product. Their tensioners and bearings are very good quality usually made in Korea.

The pumps are also good, I have had good experiences.

I also worked for a company that sold a LOT of GMB product, we are talking hundreds of thousands of sales, their warranty rate is VERY low.

I would buy the kit.

Comment

What I don't get is Honda isn't actually making these parts they are contracting them out too other companies who are in the belt business so what can be all that different? All have same number of teeth right? All are rubber right? What more can be different then say the quality and construction of the rubber? I mean I am worried that this kit is of a cheaper quality because it is 70 bucks and has so many parts in it as well. I cannot see how OEM is that much better they have so much over head while someone selling their own kits on Ebay have little overhead

Comment

Thanks Farmer D I also have read good reviews on GMB seems the OEM crowd has more money to spend then me lol guess I will go ahead and buy this kit next paycheck thanks again guys I am a happy person now that I can buy this kit and not worry

Comment

Once the kit arrives, if any of the individual parts are made in China, I might shy away from using that specific component. I would say this applies most to the actual belt itself. If the belt is made in China I wouldnt run it.

The timing belt will probably be Mistuboshi which makes a good belt. Or Continental.

Water pump and tensioner will be GMB. Probably made in Korea both of them.

Comment

Do some research on the Honda part, look for the manufacturer that actualy makes the part. Something listed as the brand is much cheaper than Honda and should be the same thing.
                            Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

I used a gmb water pump in my z for years. I finally swapped it out but it was still in great condition. 17 years and 75k it lasted.

As for their other parts I have no clue
                              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                              X