Let's play a game: $3000 Beater Build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's play a game: $3000 Beater Build!

Here's a little game to pass the time if you're bored.

You have $3000 to spend on a car and modifications. Staying within that limit, "build" the best performance machine you can! In this case, "performance" refers to power and/or handling.

Here's the catch: the car and parts must be actual items for sale right now. Autotrader, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, eBay, whatever... Parts can be new or used. Everything, car included, must come in under $3000. It can be assumed that you have the tools and abilities to install everything (just don't go saying you're going to drop a Jaguar V12 into a Geo Metro...)

Note: While you could probably just say "$3000 V8 Mustang. Done", that makes it less fun... but do as you will.
    Personally, I'm looking forward to weirdo builds!

This is hard, Deev. I have been pondering the options since you posted.

I will come back with full links to all things suggested.

1. mid 90's Civic bubble rolling chassis (everything except engine and transmission)
    2. B16a engine, manual transmission, and ECU from Hmotors
    3. Used Trubendz exhaust kit (or applicable)
    4. F&F Type 1s
    5. Assume the tires are in bad shape, so new summer performance tires

I'll be back after the research.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success
      How about start it by going first. Let's see your creativity.
      In time. I wanted to see what others come up with before I post. Otherwise people might be influenced, and it won’t be as fun!

Comment

Part of me would want to pick up this '55 Hudson, use the spare $550 to fix its starting issue (any remainder would go to a basic tune-up), and just cruise it as-is, forget the performance. Beautiful patina, imo.

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto...110111453.html

Trying to find something for an actual "build" though, I'll get back to you...
        Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-18-2020, 06:53 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

300$ eg shell
          1200 k swap
          500 turbo kit
          ...profit?
          COUPE K24

Comment

^ Yeah, is this a Wheeler Dealers scenario, where we can flip our way up to a bigger budget?

Let's skip the boring story of hows and whys, and get to the part where I've worked up $10k...

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I think he means what’s actually out there. So links to craigslist etc.
              ~Nick~
              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I have the details of my beater build sorted out. It was a nice find. I'll post up the details, pictures, sources, and references soon.

Just to give you a heads up, I found a '85 Corvette for $900 which was negotiated down to $800. Everything else fell right into place. Yes, it runs.
                The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I could probably do the quarters and paint again on Ruby for under $3K. Done.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

For track car, H22 prelude. Easily found for the price point with room to play. Gut it and spend all extra cash on maintenance and bolt ons

For go fast on a budget

DSM with 14b turbo. Do maintenance work and enjoy 11’s easily with minor junkyard upgrades, weight reduction and some DIY mods.

Easy to accomplish under 3k. Probably have to tow it home regularly but, it’ll go fast on the cheap

I have a friend selling a 2g GSX right now that runs 11’s for $3500
                    Originally posted by wed3k
                    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Ok, here's mine. I've had this typed up, but I wanted to see how others played along before I posted it.

I honestly wanted to do something weird... but a manual 92 Civic for $950 was just too easy! The car is from Craigslist (NY, don't let the texas tags fool you.)
                      Parts are from ebay (buy it now, shipping free or included in price), unless otherwise mentioned.

1992 Honda Civic - manual transmission. Runs and drives. Has been tapped not-so-gently with a rusty ugly stick.
                      $950

Now I have $2050 to make it fast!

First, imma lower it. $325 Blox Racing coilovers.

$1725 left.

Shall we boost it?

Emusa turbo kit, $660.

$1165 left.

Gonna need to put that power down. XTD Stage 3 clutch it is! $140.

$1025 to go.

It'll need tuning, of course.

$100 for a virgin P06. $19 for a chipping kit. $85 for a Moates Burn2 from Moates.net.
                      I can troll the internet for a suitable map that might allow my beater to run for a little while before blowing up.

$821 left!

Now for some wheels!
                      MaxAuto 15x6.5 wheels for $300.

$521 left.

Gotta get some good tires too.
                      4 Forceum HENA 205/50/R15 all season performance tires should do the trick. $215.

$306 left.

I was going to shoot my hot turbo air out of my stock exhaust, but since I've been so good with my money... I might as well treat myself to a nice generic catback for $90!

$216 left.

Gonna need to upgrade my stoppers if I want to control all that powah!
                      Slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic "performance" pads. $68.

$148 left.

Finally, a complete Energy Suspension master bushing kit. $160. This puts me $12 over budget... but it's close enough!

So there it is. My $3000 (or $3012) beater build using actual posted prices available right now. I'm obviously not including tax, title, insurance, fluids, or random maintenance parts... because that stuff just isn't fun. We can just assume those things aren't an issue.

Comment

And there's my problem. I can't bring myself to do an eBay build. I just recall the episode of Garage Built Hondas where he cut open that muffler to find literally no baffling material. And that I wouldn't trust a $200 set of tires more than I would having four OEM donuts on the car. Your result isn't bad on the surface, but I'm too much of a "think long term" kind of person with anything i get myself into. Especially when if there's one thing that my years on this forum has drilled into my head - you yourself being a very prominent voice in there - it's "don't waste money on garbage."

...er, no offense.
                        Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-20-2020, 01:25 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Here's my take.

2000 BMW 323i Manual $2000

One questionable quality eBay Turbo Kit $649.99 + $30 shipping

Used H&R lowering springs $200

$2879.99

I'll have just enough to pay for the tow when this inevitably leaves me stranded somewhere along the side of the road.
                          http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                            And there's my problem. I can't bring myself to do an eBay build. I just recall the episode of Garage Built Hondas where he cut open that muffler to find literally no baffling material. And that I wouldn't trust a $200 set of tires more than I would having four OEM donuts on the car. Your result isn't bad on the surface, but I'm too much of a "think long term" kind of person with anything i get myself into. Especially when if there's one thing that my years on this forum has drilled into my head - you yourself being a very prominent voice in there - it's "don't waste money on garbage."

...er, no offense.
                            That's the whole point of a beater build! This isn't actual money being spent (no way in hell I'd drop 3 grand on that grandma green rustbucket...) but it's a fun way to run through a quick and dirty plan to make a turd into a temporarily faster turd!

Originally posted by SSMAccord View Post
                            Here's my take.

I'll have just enough to pay for the tow when this inevitably leaves me stranded somewhere along the side of the road.

I initially finished mine the exact same way, until I added the bushing kit!
                            For builds like these, it's probably wise to set aside tow money!

Comment

Drag car:
                              1982 Mazda RX-7 $1500
                              "BBC 454 motor & turbo 400 trans, with starter, Holley 750 carb, alternator etc" $1200
                              Used drag radials $50
                              Ford 8.8 axle $137.85 -20 core 117.85

$2867.85
                              Profit.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                              X