Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to build a multi-station centralized computer system for my home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm dealing with limited space, limited budget (including the electric bill), and limited patience. I already have multiple computers, but I'd rather have access to the same machine, the same information, the same screen... from any room in the house. Instantly. At the flip of the monitor's power switch. No startup, no login, no loading.
    I live alone, so the stations will only be used one at a time by me anyway.

I'd like to be able to run upstairs and finish this post.

While it'd be far too complicated, and probably annoying... there are TV systems (DirectTV does it, maybe?) where the TV will pause when you exit the room, and if you have it set up in other rooms, it will resume when you enter the next room. Basically, the TV knows when you go from room to room. That's an advanced approach to the relatively basic idea that I have, but I liked the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      I'm dealing with limited space, limited budget (including the electric bill), and limited patience. I already have multiple computers, but I'd rather have access to the same machine, the same information, the same screen... from any room in the house. Instantly. At the flip of the monitor's power switch. No startup, no login, no loading.
      I live alone, so the stations will only be used one at a time by me anyway.

I'd like to be able to run upstairs and finish this post.

While it'd be far too complicated, and probably annoying... there are TV systems (DirectTV does it, maybe?) where the TV will pause when you exit the room, and if you have it set up in other rooms, it will resume when you enter the next room. Basically, the TV knows when you go from room to room. That's an advanced approach to the relatively basic idea that I have, but I liked the concept.

Yeah I can tell you how to do that with a network setup, you'll just need multiple towers to accomodate. Basically have a sql server setup that you can dial into from your other network places. Everything would be hosted from the server, and it would all flow through the server but be controlled remotely by the other pc's in your network allowing you to leave one room and enter another and have access to the same initial data.

You'd just have to leave all of your towers connected all of the time. No biggy.

There are lots of ways you can do this actually. If you are serious about it, let me know. This is some of the stuff I do for a living too. Right now we are developing a data center for Pixar and every single one of the 100 pcs on each floor (5 floors) are all going to be able to access the same main framework of the network from a click of a button. There are tons of programs available now for free that allow you to do stuff like this.

You could go to showmypc.com and get some basic information and allow me to dial into your pc right now from where I am. The shit that is displayed on your desktop would then appear on mine, and I could take control of your cpu through the network. If you were to play media or whatever from your pc and then I connected, I would be viewing what you are playing.

Make sense? Theres lots of ways to do this. If you are serious about it, I'll help you get it done as much as I can. Im sure there are others on the forum that are even better at networking than I am. I bet Pandemic knows all.
      Originally posted by wed3k
      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        i cant believe they are able to tote that as an 'advanced feature' and the marketing is working, when really it is a negative symptom of crappy simple hardware.

the TV doesnt know when you go from room to room - in fact, quite the opposite. Every room is a direct mirror split/clone of the very same video feed, from a single cable box, precisely the same as your are planning for your own home. this same 'feature' is available with ANY video system in the world - clone the output to multiple displays, use a wireless remote, and youre done. when it comes to actually USING it, its actually very annoying that all TVs show the same thing - and if somebody in their bedroom hits pause, the livingroom gets paused.

in comparison, the Dish network tuner box actually contains multiple tuners inside of it, and has 6 individual outputs, that can be used independently in each location, even though they share the same actual resources (local hdd, etc) if you choose to not use tuners 2-6 and just clone the primary feed, then it works just like DirectTV.

having a single box that can provide multiple, unique 'experiences' for multiple locations, is definitely possible. and i think this is what Toycar is getting at, and using the network to provide that. this requires more PCs (investment in infrastructure that will require future maintenance) as well as a reliance on third-party software solutions. And even still, I dont feel VMware, VNC or Showmypc.com type solutions would be fast enough (limited by both the PC itself as well as it the network) to be used comfortably for full-blown gaming or HD video. its great for sharing storage/resources and doing work, though. Yes you can take over my PC remotely... but have you ever tried using anything that used accelerated graphics? sometimes things as simple as the video overlay driver dont even get passed through VNC/etc since it is running in protected video memory and such. lots of 'advanced' quirks can be avoided with a much simpler HDMI setup (augmented by the network - not reliant on it),, especially for a home media setup. but thats just my 2cents.
        Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-18-2013, 12:37 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I didn't read everything but it is very easy to run multiple monitors/tvs off a single PC. You might have to do a little upgrading on your PC but I am not sure what you are currently running. The easiest way I can see doing what you are wanting is to have SLI/crossfire cards such as a 650Ti or anything with 3 or 4 built in monitor supports. The 650Ti offers 2 DVI and 1 or 2 HDMI depending on the model. So with a single video card you can easily run a single system on 3 or 4 monitors and if you want all HDMI connections you can use DVI to HDMI converters/adapters. Now a single card can run 3 or 4 monitors but if your motherboard can support multiple video cards you can SLI or crossfire 2 cards to run 6 to 8 monitors off a single PC. You will also have to make sure you power supply can handle multiple cards.

The hard part will be running all of the wires. Personally if you own your home I would run all the wiring in the walls and use wall outlets such as ...
          http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Dual-Outl.../dp/B0017W1LN0
          This will allow for a clean looking install.

Comment

That HDMI wall outlet does look pretty freakin sweet!

I'm hesitant to hack up my walls, especially since they're plaster (pain in the ass to patch cleanly.)

The goal is mainly to have the same display on all monitors (only one of the dual displays in the dining room will be mirrored elsewhere.) Basically, I just want to be able to view and control the primary display from any location.

I know toycar's suggestion about running multiple towers over a network is probably the most reliable method, but I want to save space, and deal with only one machine. Buying a few wires, splitters, and adapters is cheap. As is picking up a few used flatscreens on Craigslist or at yard sales. As long as I can effectively accomplish what I'm planning with just one tower, that's all I'll need.
            I don't have a whole lot of room in my house to deal with multiple towers.

Comment

I didn't read much of what was said but I just put together a home theater pc. I'm running XBMC and it looks awesome.
              My Car
              FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Might want to read what was said, Matt. It helps.

Comment

You may be better served with one computer and one laptop. You can move said laptop to two or three rooms, and wire the other two rooms with the desktop.

I think what you are thinking is too much work for the return in enjoyment.

Comment

Just split the main cpu to one monitor in the dining room and then to the living room. You could hide a tower in a cabinet and hookup the kitchen like I have it at my house. Who cares that you have a cpu tower hiding in the cabinet. You'll never see it. Its really easy to wire. Just tap into an existing outlet and add a leg on that circuit. Black on brass to save your ass. White to silver, bare wire to the green screw. They sell single gang and dual gang boxes for remodeling that have tabs that wedge the wallboard in between the tabs and the box for easy install. Then, add the proper cable supplying signal to monitor above in the second slot of the box. Power supply on one side, av on the other. You can use a coat hanger to snake the cord from the cabinet to the space above you need it for the monitor.

In the bedrooms get tv's that are internet ready with an open browser and wifi. I've seen some for $400-$500 that were acceptable-which I think is pretty reasonable and they come preloaded with netflix, hulu etc etc.

BOOM

Then it would just be a matter of managing a wireless network securely that could provide a signal to your bedrooms and kitchen. Of course, you could always setup a wired network with k5 lines, rg60 cable, a hub and a 10/100 switch with multi media outlets in each room. Drop that shit in from the attic following the existing electrical routing and convert single gang boxes with outlets to double or triple gang boxes with power outlets and multi media plugs.

Really its up to you. How reliable do you want it to be?

Wired pwns wireless in terms of being reliable.
                    Last edited by toycar; 11-19-2013, 11:34 AM.
                    Originally posted by wed3k
                    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Working...
                    X